Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Lest We Forget

KTownKiller

I like lofty heights & Roll'n Stones!!!
Reaction score
Wow! Hard to watch with dry eyes...very well said.
Thanks to all who served...and gave up so much...

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I'm forever thankful for their sacrifices...my grandfather was gassed in the trenches fighting
for our freedom. My dad and uncle also served.

hbpaints

Reaction score
Just got back from the Lake Cowichan Ceremonies...

All the kids walked in the parade this morning... the 5 and 7 yr olds with their respective hockey teams and my 11yr old, 13yr old and myself with the Lake Cowichan Scout Troop.

In memory of many (Family and non-family) that we will never forget...

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Just got back from the Lake Cowichan Ceremonies...

All the kids walked in the parade this morning... the 5 and 7 yr olds with their respective hockey teams and my 11yr old, 13yr old and myself with the Lake Cowichan Scout Troop.

In memory of many (Family and non-family) that we will never forget...
well done HBP, i wish more families would follow your fine example , there would be far less problems with young ones making bad choices as they grow up......nahmint.

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
my father always spoke highly of the GURKHAS as fighters and he seldom said anything, and my grandad of the SIKHS... hell,i was almost born there !!!! but no,grandad came to Quebec instead......... a couple times in his long life,he did make a few mistakes.....

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
my father always spoke highly of the GURKHAS as fighters and he seldom said anything, and my grandad of the SIKHS... hell,i was almost born there !!!! but no,grandad came to Quebec instead......... a couple times in his long life,he did make a few mistakes.....

It is what it is, Sikhs did more lol. My grandfather and company freed North Africa, Italy and protected the oil fields of the Middle East from the Germans so the Allies would have lots of fuel for their vehicles to fight their little war that everyone has been brainwashed to say "our freedom"...phuck no, the Germans were getting very powerful both militarily and economically so the rest of the world had to stop them so they used 'we are saving the Jews" as an excuse like today they say "we are fighting terrorism" but really they want the oil and strategic military positions. Such an insult to ordinary Germans and I feel bad how they are looked upon as bad.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Went hunting in squamish, freakin city folks everywhere, shooting off guns and I'm sure I heard handguns going off, lots of fisherman but who can hate a fisherman, I like fish anyway. on the way out I saw a doe and a buck but they got away on me so I circled back and followed them in, I never saw them again bit discovered a blacktail area and the place is just chopped down on deer. Can't wait to go back...region 2 open till December 15 so good times on the horizon

Last edited:

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
My father was with the 3rd brigade /tank corp. north africa and then to the Invasion of ITALY ,july 1943 i i r c. My father had no love for the EYE-TIES.......
strange how things go..... he met the father of a young friend of mine, who was also in the tank corp=PANZER...they were in several ''battles together'' on opposite sides...
in the GASPE in quebec (East-gulf of St.Lawrence, german u-boats would stock up on fresh vegetables and even have a pint or 2 of beer in water front pubs.... in Cap CHAT, (cat point) i have seen photos on the walls of several pubs with smiling germans and locals !!! go figure...
Anyways NOG, cheer up you could be me...72+,overweight and not too sure of my petigree!!!!
it ain't perminant anyways...:Good Post::Heh, heh, heh:Glenn

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Soldiers sometimes live for many years with the invisable scars after combat...my daughter,here in B.C. is off to Florida in a few days to say GOOD BYE to her mothers husband ,. VIET NAM, purple heart vet...those injuries from back then are finally ready to take another soldier.....the V.A. doctors say he will not see christmas...... my ex just lost her beloved husky that spent a week in the bush in ALASKA,caught in a wolf trap and now her husband is leaving too.
LIFE SUCKS, SOMETIMES....

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Nov. In my mind there are no Sikhs and Gurkhas, there are no Japanese or Indians, There were only fine brave Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen fighting for freedom of this country. Remembrance Day is a day every man and woman who donned a uniform and many who did their part in the shadows should be remembered for what they chose to do for us, not what color or religion they were.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Nov. In my mind there are no Sikhs and Gurkhas, there are no Japanese or Indians, There were only fine brave Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen fighting for freedom of this country. Remembrance Day is a day every man and woman who donned a uniform and many who did their part in the shadows should be remembered for what they chose to do for us, not what color or religion they were.

The Sikhs and Gurkhas fought alongside the Canadians, just as I'd fight for you with my by hunting rifle if we were ever attacked by a foreign nation..."behind every blade of grass is a hunting rifle"

Biggyun68

Rainman
Reaction score
My Father Lance Corporal Scots Guards - 1958 last Redfern male to serve in uniform

My Uncles
Archie Sergeant HLI - survivor of Dunkirk rear guard and D Day
Willie - 8th Army - Western Desert and Italian Campaigns
Charlie - Leading Seaman Royal Navy - HMS Hood - was on a course leave when she was sunk
Jimmy - REME - D day Northwest Europe

My Grandfather Gunner Royal Artillery - 1939 - 1945 - DDay and Northwest Europe
My Great Grand Father Corporal Redfern Royal Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry) - died of Wounds Kut Mesopotamia (Iraq) 1919 Great - Uncle Benny (his brother) Infantry Western Front became a tramp after the war because of what we call now PTSD
My Great Great Grandfather Cameronians (Royal Scots Rifles) Boer War

My Uncles
Helmut SS Panzer Grenadier - Killed in Action Russian Front
Herman Wermacht OberLeutnant - Captured Russian front released 1949
Karl Chief Petty Officer - Kriegs Marine - lost his leg when a mine rolled over it
Willi - Obergefreiter - Kriegs Marine Uboats - caught TB on the boats and was confined for last part of war to shore

Johann my Grand Father was a Tottemkopf

All the above had safe jobs as they were miners or steel workers - Only my father was drafted all the others volunteeredDad at Guards Depot.jpg

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
My Father Lance Corporal Scots Guards - 1958 last Redfern male to serve in uniform

My Uncles
Archie Sergeant HLI - survivor of Dunkirk rear guard and D Day
Willie - 8th Army - Western Desert and Italian Campaigns
Charlie - Leading Seaman Royal Navy - HMS Hood - was on a course leave when she was sunk
Jimmy - REME - D day Northwest Europe

My Grandfather Gunner Royal Artillery - 1939 - 1945 - DDay and Northwest Europe
My Great Grand Father Corporal Redfern Royal Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry) - died of Wounds Kut Mesopotamia (Iraq) 1919 Great - Uncle Benny (his brother) Infantry Western Front became a tramp after the war because of what we call now PTSD
My Great Great Grandfather Cameronians (Royal Scots Rifles) Boer War

My Uncles
Helmut SS Panzer Grenadier - Killed in Action Russian Front
Herman Wermacht OberLeutnant - Captured Russian front released 1949
Karl Chief Petty Officer - Kriegs Marine - lost his leg when a mine rolled over it
Willi - Obergefreiter - Kriegs Marine Uboats - caught TB on the boats and was confined for last part of war to shore

Johann my Grand Father was a Tottemkopf

All the above had safe jobs as they were miners or steel workers - Only my father was drafted all the others volunteered
Very impressive bit of history you have there!

Biggyun68

Rainman
Reaction score
Thank-you Big Lew
A lot to live up to - I wanted to join the service but my father forbade me to. He said the Redfern's have served enough. My son has told me if he doesn't get a football scholarship he is going to join. Thankfully he is 6" 8" and a good O-Lineman so his chances at a scholarship are good:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Thank-you Big Lew
A lot to live up to - I wanted to join the service but my father forbade me to. He said the Redfern's have served enough. My son has told me if he doesn't get a football scholarship he is going to join. Thankfully he is 6" 8" and a good O-Lineman so his chances at a scholarship are good:
I considered joining in 1964 but got a lot of resistance from my folks. The military didn't want to take my
application either because I had rheumatic fever as a child. They didn't refuse, but advised me against it as they
weren't really actively enlisting at the time so my application would be put at the back of the pile so to speak.

Top Bottom