Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Mackinaw Jacket

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Hi Guys and Gals. I have been looking for an old school Mackinaw (mac) jacket for a while. I'm posting this here in the off chance that someone has one kicking around collecting dust and they might be looking to get rid of it.

I wore one for years but it's gone missing over time. I'd like to get back to wearing one while hunting again. It will remind me of good times had in the past.

Thread starter #2

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I also had one that was cut down to a vest. The arms spent one night too close to the wood stove in camp and I couldn't bear to throw it out so I modified it and used it in my wrestling days.

Phil3.jpg

Thread starter #6

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Jim, does this give enough info on whether it is the jack shirt? This is a friend of mine's coat.

I'm looking for a red and black one but I'll keep in mind your grey and black,

mack2.jpg

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
"Jack shirt". I got mine from Marks a few years back, places like Walmart and Zellers used to carry them maybe even Can, Tire.. If you can't find one your welcome to my grey one.

Thread starter #9

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Been on the look out for the original for a couple of years. It's just one of the things I look for when I go in thrift stores. I always search hudson bay blankets, Hawaiian shirts, cowboy shirts (with embroidery) and jack shirts.

sealevel

Long-Time Member
phill i have an old fashoned in good shape mackinaw a88da48dad544091a992ade915273cee.jpg my wifes uncle brought it from onterable to port alberni in 1962. it is dusty been hanging in my shop......it can be yours.....but i have a real that needs looking at

Thread starter #13

philcott

Mucho Gusto
phill i have an old fashoned in good shape mackinaw View attachment 13338 my wifes uncle brought it from onterable to port alberni in 1962. it is dusty been hanging in my shop......it can be yours.....but i have a real that needs looking at

Is this jacket flannel or wool? Any idea of the size? I'm probably a 46 or 48 but I'm checking with my wife on that. I'm 5'8 and 200 lbs.

Send me a private message and tell me what's up with the reel and I'll see what I can do to get it spruced up for you. Regardless of the jacket.

Dru

This IS My Life
The original one your friend is wearing are damned near gone....
a buddy of mine has one like Sealevel posted.... some days I wonder if it has a secret magic Lucky making pocket... Eldon just keeps pulling Luckies out of it.... lol....
he found it a Value valage

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Hi Guys and Gals. I have been looking for an old school Mackinaw (mac) jacket for a while. I'm posting this here in the off chance that someone has one kicking around collecting dust and they might be looking to get rid of it.

I wore one for years but it's gone missing over time. I'd like to get back to wearing one while hunting again. It will remind me of good times had in the past.
Phil;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope other than missing some articles of clothing this finds you and yours well.

If I am not mistaken, you all here are talking about two or possibly three different things here.

A Mackinaw Cruiser jacket such as sealevel posted - actually his appears to be a Double Mackinaw Cruiser - are still available from Filson. Here's a photo of one from their website.

Just below this I see that they also have a single Mackinaw Cruiser Coat AND what they call an Alaska Guide Shirt - which is exactly what we in the Okanagan used to call a Jack Shirt or Bush Shirt.

These shirts are cotton flannel whereas the Mackinaw is wool - not Melton wool either typically, the twill type of weave. Our eldest Amy-Liz sometimes hunts in a double Mackinaw Cruiser and so help me Phil I have no idea how she carries it around as it has to weigh close to 10lb!! It's a warm sucker though, I'll say that for it.... long story, but it was mine for a bit until I "outgrew" it....

Oh I found a jack shirt from Canada too by the way at lordsofgastown.com - looks just as nice as the Filson one to me and it's a bit closer to you if you want to see it in person.

Lastly for those of us trotting down memory lane this morning, there was my personal favorite which was a flannel shirt with a nylon lining and light insulation. We used to buy them at Work Wear Word and Marks too I guess. This is before there was a Walmart in Penticton way back I believe.

The lining helped it cut the wind and I always had one strapped to my hunting pack somewhere. In fact I bet there's an old one in the tool box in the back of my truck - gotta look see now.

Anyway sir, hopefully the links were helpful and you can find the apparel you're desiring to! Good luck shopping and all the best to you and yours as we hopefully head into spring.

Dwayne

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
I always liked the wool ones better than the cotton/flannel ones (even though they were fun to light on fire when new heheheh)...only trouble with the wool ones was the elbows always wore out for me....

I always liked the wool ones better than the cotton/flannel ones (even though they were fun to light on fire when new heheheh)...only trouble with the wool ones was the elbows always wore out for me....
haha
Either you are road hunting with a console instead of a bench, or you're still wearing it at night around the card table!

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Been on the look out for the original for a couple of years. It's just one of the things I look for when I go in thrift stores. I always search hudson bay blankets, Hawaiian shirts, cowboy shirts (with embroidery) and jack shirts.
Hey! ...... that's all the stuff I look for too. Have some great Hawaiian shirts, and 'Bay blankets ...... :Black Eye:

Camp Cook

I was in the Abbotsford Cabela's yesterday they had one of these jackets in XXL on a round clearance rack near the customer service counter it was on sale for $90 - $99 can't remember exactly regular closer to $160 it is one of the more expensive line of clothing they carry starts with an F I wasn't really thinking of this thread when I saw it so wasn't paying to close of attention..

IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1794.JPG
Woolrich Shirt Jacs are my go-to apparel for a over shirt.. picked up 3 different colors when Sportsman Wharehouse closed up in Burlington .. They cleared them out for $30. US
Filson had a Clearance Outlet close by where I picked up a Red/Black Double Mac. for under $180 new but a second, the only thing I found was some stitching was doubled up on one seem on the inside.. IMG_1795.JPG
Yes gets heavy when wet but still toasty warm even in that condition.. The closest I could find to my Old Pioneer
Mac Jacket.. That was Dear to me in my Youth :don't tell anyone:

Thread starter #31

philcott

Mucho Gusto
By the looks of the posts I'd say I'm not the only one partial to these old Mac Jackets. I'm looking forward to hunting in one this coming fall, if not spring bear.....

Thread starter #33

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'll be wearin' the coat but no chance on the hat. I'll need to vent some heat and the top seems like the best place to dissipate some.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
haha
Either you are road hunting with a console instead of a bench, or you're still wearing it at night around the card table!
for me, they get way more use as work jackets than hunting so a lot of arm bending... I often layer up too so it puts extra stress on bending elbows with a few layers underneath...Even my pendelton wooley is blown out at the elbows right now...maybe also cuz I tend to stretch the arms when the jacket is wet as I have kinda long arms...might have to stop doing that

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
I also had one that was cut down to a vest. The arms spent one night too close to the wood stove in camp and I couldn't bear to throw it out so I modified it and used it in my wrestling days.

View attachment 13336
Well ..... looking at eye, a person just wonders if 'Dutch' Savage or maybe 'Bulldog' Brown gave you their 'business card' ........ :Black Eye::highly_amused:

I did recently dig up a 30 plus year old Surrey Dinner Jacket out of inventory but unfortunately it is the one Dearest E altered for me back awhile ago... chopped the bottom 8-10 inches off it to match my shorty Flyfishing Vets to be worn while out on the water in a Tube..
I have a couple more bins in the attic ..anything is possible..:HUH?:

Thread starter #43

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I did recently dig up a 30 plus year old Surrey Dinner Jacket out of inventory but unfortunately it is the one Dearest E altered for me back awhile ago... chopped the bottom 8-10 inches off it to match my shorty Flyfishing Vets to be worn while out on the water in a Tube..
I have a couple more bins in the attic ..anything is possible..:HUH?:
What a shame about the jacket. I took the sleeves of of mine years ago for a Halloween costume and "someone" threw them out. Wish I had it back.

Thread starter #44

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Just to let you all know. The big woolly mackinaw jacket sealevel offered me got to me last night thanks to a meet up with Foxton Jim and Mo.

I appreciate the jacket and the efforts of a few to get to the island and in my hands. It's a fairly heavy wool that will keep me warm in the rain and snow of my next moose camp.

I am grateful for the folks I have met on this forum. You're all a good bunch.

Have a productive hunting season and play safe inn the bush.

Top Bottom