Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

MINIMUM WAGE $15/Hr. who pays ????????

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
its fine and dandy to raise minimum wage......but who pays for it ?????WE DO !!!!!!!!
was at a ''celebration of life'' for a friend today......decided to do a little grocery shopping...WAL-MART, then next door to SAVE-ON-FOODS.
Frikken TURKEY, $96 TO OVER $100.. thats one bird !!!!!
minimum wage, mabe a Mc DONALDS manager ,but not for flipping burgers or stocking shelves.............i worked and paid to go to trade school for my papers.......today, it seems things ARE very different.............goose is looking better every day!!!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
There's always the other side to a story...imagine trying to pay for basic rental lodging
on a low basic minimum wage now-a-days, let alone feed your family. Even with my
2 government pensions, some RSPs, and a union pension, I would have to be very careful
with my finances (no trips up north or down south, or to the Island) if I had to rent anything
close to medical facilities etc. The rental costs are even high in small out of the way towns
in BC.

Trinity

Reaction score
Another thought lve heard thrown around is what about all the people who have worked where ever for the time required to earn 15 an hour only to have new people starting at the same wage...how is that addressed all the way up the ladder?

robert5

Reaction score
Good
Another thought lve heard thrown around is what about all the people who have worked where ever for the time required to earn 15 an hour only to have new people starting at the same wage...how is that addressed all the way up the ladder?
Good point!

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
PENSIONS?????? CCP and OAS thats ALL i get............ glad I was wise enough to put some aside before i retired at 65, back in 2012........
I would think it wise to ''get yourself in order BEFORE '' starting a family.........as was said, a trade, education,..
too easy today to expect govt. handouts to make life easy.....i still ''help'' my son in law on projects around the province, still have a small share in a mine, between WELLS and BARKERVILLE, and a couple other irons in the fire.....

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
The last driving job I had the wages were chit but I wanted to be home so i accepted the starting wage. After about 6 months they bumped the starting wage up $2 an hour and started hiring drivers fresh out of driving school, i was still on the lower starting wage these idiots were so green they were there at the shift end waiting for someone to back their trailers into the dock because they were afraid to try to put them between 2 other trailers. That someone was usually me. I finally told the boss that I wanted the new starting wage plus an extra bonus for doing all the rookies work at the terminal. His answer was "well I can't do that". I said could you hold the warehouse door for me. He asked why, to which I answered "so it won't hit me on the ass on my way out". I never even turned around when I heard him saying wait let's talk about this. What a chit joke company, I even had to show their PAID "instructor" how to put triples on when the truck was spun out and you couldn't back into the chains laid on the ground

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I've never been in the position that I had to work for minimum wage since leaving high school.
I've been lucky as well as determined to work for decent money. Not everyone can say that and
it's not always their fault. Many people through no fault of their own just haven't the capacity or
upbringing to take advantage of an education to prepare them for good paying jobs. So many
people, especially the young ones just starting out, are met with a brick wall because of stiff competition
and employers insisting on experience. Then there are those that had a decent job for most of their
working lives only to lose it through automation or companies shutting down and then restarting
by offering those same jobs at basic minimum wage. Most of those people working these ultra low
paying jobs are not asking for government handouts. They're more than willing to work for their living
if given half a chance. I met a former 'street person' in a restaurant while staying in Florence Oregon.
He obviously had mental issues but very proud that he had obtained a steady job as a dish washer for
minimum wage so that he could be independent. In order to make ends meet he rode a bike and
shared a small dilapidated suite in the basement with person. With the small amount he made he had
no chance to better himself or to have a family.

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
DAVE, now i'm upset.....my rockhard heart is cracking......i know i should be more compassionate.
BUT excuses are just lies........life ain't fair, thats a fact......ya play the cards you get delt.......
chit or get off the pot.......et al, et al!!!!!!!! world is full of liberals.:Really Mad:
AH,NOW I FEEL BETTER:Yee Ha:

robert5

Reaction score
I've never been in the position that I had to work for minimum wage since leaving high school.
I've been lucky as well as determined to work for decent money. Not everyone can say that and
it's not always their fault. Many people through no fault of their own just haven't the capacity or
upbringing to take advantage of an education to prepare them for good paying jobs. So many
people, especially the young ones just starting out, are met with a brick wall because of stiff competition
and employers insisting on experience. Then there are those that had a decent job for most of their
working lives only to lose it through automation or companies shutting down and then restarting
by offering those same jobs at basic minimum wage. Most of those people working these ultra low
paying jobs are not asking for government handouts. They're more than willing to work for their living
if given half a chance. I met a former 'street person' in a restaurant while staying in Florence Oregon.
He obviously had mental issues but very proud that he had obtained a steady job as a dish washer for
minimum wage so that he could be independent. In order to make ends meet he rode a bike and
shared a small dilapidated suite in the basement with person. With the small amount he made he had
no chance to better himself or to have a family.
I have to have simpothy for people who struggle with mental illness, it is somthing That is not easily dealt with and a lot of people are born this way.
To me these people deserve proper welfare but the problem is there are to many deadbeats on the the system that
Delete the payments.

Foxton Gundogs

Reaction score
So here’s a question. Why does everything come down to Liberal vs Conservative? I mean seriously, I will bet a dollar to a hole in a donut that there are many times more middle of the road Liberals and moderate Conservatives, than there are radical right/left wingers, and if ther ever sat down and talked they would find they have much more in common than they do with the far right/left. I meself hold views from ‘both sides of the house’ but any one who actually knows me knows I am not anti gun liberal or a right to life right winger. The answer is IMHO somewhere in the middle ground.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I have to have simpothy for people who struggle with mental illness, it is somthing That is not easily dealt with and a lot of people are born this way.
To me these people deserve proper welfare but the problem is there are to many deadbeats on the the system that
Delete the payments.
Yes, I have to agree on that issue. There are far too many that have no interest in working for their living.
If they would put half as much effort as they do in milking the system with actually getting a job...
We complain about the huge amounts of money our government hands out to the Indigenous but there are
very high numbers of non-Indigenous that are getting money without trying to get a job. In some families
it's a way of life that passes down from one generation to another. My wife would get so angry when she
was a manager at MacDonald's and had to deal with the overweight perpetual welfare moms dragging
their large broods of fat kids in to pig out the day after welfare Wednesday.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
We found that when the minimum wage went up so did the price of restaurant food and most grocery items, so what did the lower wage earners gain?
Well they have a little more disposable income to pay those carbon taxes and increases in icbc and hydro and and and and. Fact is very few people have bad things to say about those at the top if the food chain and the obscene amounts they are paid. As an example:

""Tim Hortons parent company CEO Daniel Schwartz, seen here in Oakville, Ont., on June 5, 2017, was paid $250-million over nine years "

Who is worth that much? While those on the so called minimum wage cannot even afford to take their sweethearts out for a nice dinner.

There is a huge disparity in the spreading of the wealth being created in this country IMHO, so when they raise the minimum wage I don't feel so bad having to pay a little more.

Redneck

Reaction score
My issue with raising minimum wage is that a commensurate increase isn't seen across the board.

If minimum wage is $10/hr, and I make $30 with 15 years of experience and a trade ticket, I am worth 3x the minimum wage guy.
If he makes $15...that devalues me and my work, unless I see a commensurate increase in wage.

Living well is expensive. Minimum wage isn't supposed to be able to buy a house and raise a family. Minimum wage is for entry level jobs. The problem is people entering the work force in their 20s. Surprise masuckers, the folks who went to work at 17 or 18 when they graduated are now making $30/hr. If you don't have a useful degree or diploma...that's not an issue caused by anyone else.

Redneck

Reaction score
When I moved out here 3 years ago I took a part time meat cutting job. Part timers usually get more pay because there are no benefits to pay out.

I had over 40 years of retail meat cutting experience under my belt at the time. They would only pay me $12.10 per hour! :Really Mad:

Out here is east coast, yeah?

Wages are remarkably low out there, $10ish less hourly for trades from what I've heard from east coast guys I've worked with. Is the cost of living equally low?

If not, that sounds like a case for unions.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score

Wages are remarkably low out there, $10ish less hourly for trades from what I've heard from east coast guys I've worked with. Is the cost of living equally low?

Your's is a classic case to which I'm referring to. People in general don't like government interfering with
their daily lives, but in this day and age where unions (sometimes rightfully so) are under attack by business
backed political parties, if those parties were truly concerned for basic worker's rights, they would enact
legislation to protect them in lieu of workers feeling they have to ban together and form unions which would
include decent minimum wages. Can you imagine (look at modt third world countries) if there were no unions
fighting for their workers? It would be even worse than we've ever experienced with rows of slum apartments
around industry where the workers barely get enough to eat while there overlords bask in excessive wealth.
The argument that a free enterprise society allows for those that try harder and have the most experience get
the better paying jobs might have worked in years past, but today with so many seeking jobs, not so much, as
Dan's example points out. Our trucking industry is another example. So many companies moving to owner operators
knowing that the owner operators will cut each other's throats by cheating and undercutting established wages to
the point only a few make a decent living anymore. There also should be better protection for those working for
companies, both union and non-union, that decide to close down and then re-open under a different name as
they re-hire their workers at basic minimum wages. There. got that off my chest!

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score

When I left BC to move out here I was making $25/hour and was due for a $5/hr raise that next month. What a shock when I applied for a job out here!

The cost of living is not that much less than out there - the foodstuffs all have to be trucked/flown in from Florida and points west. That makes them pretty expensive. The fresh produce out here is terrible. The quality and the selection are both poor when compared tot he west coast where everything is trucked up from Calif or Mexico on a daily basis.

Even the much advertised and vaunted PEI potatoes are crap when compared to BC's spuds. All the hype is for nothing, really. Take asparagus for example....when it comes on sale out here it goes for $5.99/lb, Cauliflower never drops below $4.99 each, Bananas are always at least .89 cents per pound. On-The-Vine tomatoes are never less than $2.99/lb.....

The quality? Less than stellar (as we were used to back home)...I think it is due to the shipping and handling that it gets before it ever hits the shelves out here. Bruises, gouges, blemishes, and outright rotting on some of the stuff.

Yeah, I miss a lot about BC.....

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Basic economics. When you raise minimum wage in a short time inflation eats the raise. If you are making more than the old minimum wage your buying power goes down. It has happened here everytime the minimum wages has been raised. This does not count the low skilled who loose their jobs because the business can not afford them.
Steve

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
Basic economics..when taxes keep going up...when prices keep going up...when housing becomes un affordable...those making the least need to be paid more. The wealth being created in this country isn't just for the top 10%...it should be shared across our social spectrum.

I rather see a MAXIMUM wage, maybe that would slow down some of the obscene greed in our society.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
One of my favourite saying is, "Walk a mile in the other man's shoes"
I doubt that those not wanting minimum wages to be raised more in line with
today's cost of living would think the same if, like Dan, they couldn't find a job
paying above that rate and had to try and live and raise their family on it.
I don't buy into the argument that many jobs will be lost unless there are some
employers that are bullying their workers and aren't paying the wage so those
that are adhering to the minimum wage wage are put in a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Foxton Gundogs

Reaction score
So when min wage goes up who pays for it? In the end it is the ones who get the increase. To pay them more the employers just charge more and they get the increase back when the min wage earners have to buy the things that the always bought only now at a higher price. Catch 22

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
So when min wage goes up who pays for it? In the end it is the ones who get the increase. To pay them more the employers just charge more and they get the increase back when the min wage earners have to buy the things that the always bought only now at a higher price. Catch 22
I would argue that those stuck with a basic minimum wage aren't really buying much compared to those
with more disposable income, especially from the various food outlets like restaurants where a lot of the
minimum wages are earned. Most of their clothing etc is not made in this country as well.
I just toured the Oregon coast and was very surprised at the lack of breakfast cafes. In their place were little
expresso huts and gas stations peddling coffee and crappy sweets. It has nothing to do with wages, it is because
everyone is in such a rush and won't make the time to sit down to a normal meal. I doubt the sometimes ridiculous
prices charged for their fancy lattas and specialty coffees reflect whatever wage the employees are making as I'm
pretty confident the customers would pay whatever was charged.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
Been around long enough to have seen this scenario played out time and time again. There is always the same chicken little arguments put forward against any raise in the minimum wage, but the fact remains that regardless of the minimum wages going up everything will go up in price. Just look at what we've seen here in the last few years, carbon taxes added, ICBC, BC Hydro, Fortis, bus passes, dentist visits...everything goes up and that sure as hell isn't caused by a rise in the minimum wage, it's inflation. It's just unfortunate that there is a need for government intervention to keep the minimum at a reasonable level, otherwise we would have full time workers getting $0,25 per hour or day like other countries. IMHO the minimum isn't the problem....the problem is the huge disparity between the top earners and those at the bottom. I seriously cannot say there is any single person that is worth over $1million per year and yet there are thousands of them sucking up those obscene incomes in our country while we have low income people that cannot even feed their kids decent meals and seniors on pitiful pensions that cannot afford meds.

Top Bottom