Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Mosquito repelling clothes,,,

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well it sure didn’t take me long to empty that $250 Telus gift card. I got a pair of hiking pants, a long sleeve shirt, a floppy wide brimmed hat, and a pair of shorts. All but the shorts are the mosquito repelling clothing...we shall soon see if they work or not. If not, I will have the first ‘Yuppie’ outfit I’ve ever owned...where have I gone wrong and lost my way?

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Good on ya for jumping in, stepping up, and being the guinea pig here Dave... :Oh Yeah!: :Owned:

I, for one will be eagerly awaiting your report(s) :popcorn:

russm86

Reaction score
Well it sure didn’t take me long to empty that $250 Telus gift card. I got a pair of hiking pants, a long sleeve shirt, a floppy wide brimmed hat, and a pair of shorts. All but the shorts are the mosquito repelling clothing...we shall soon see if they work or not. If not, I will have the first ‘Yuppie’ outfit I’ve ever owned...where have I gone wrong and lost my way?
Are these the ones that Marks has been advertising? We are a little behind the times in Canada, the US and other place like south america and Africa have had this kind of stuff for years. Most of it using permethrin, which actually kills the mosquitos and ticks, not just "scares" them off. Even Health canada suggests the permethrin and permethrin laced clothing when travelling abroad but good luck finding any of it in Canada. I'm curious what the clothes you got are using.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Are these the ones that Marks has been advertising? We are a little behind the times in Canada, the US and other place like south america and Africa have had this kind of stuff for years. Most of it using permethrin, which actually kills the mosquitos and ticks, not just "scares" them off. Even Health canada suggests the permethrin and permethrin laced clothing when travelling abroad but good luck finding any of it in Canada. I'm curious what the clothes you got are using.
Yes, the product they're using is permethrin. Apparently they tried for 10 years to get permission to sell their clothing line
in Canada. As you mention, Canada seems always to be slow and behind the times with any new products other countries
have deemed to be safe for use. Our military has been using much stronger does of permethrin for many years. I look forward
to when we can buy the product off the shelf in Canada like people can across the border.

fingershooter

Reaction score
I just bought my first Permethrin fabric spray from the States. It's marketed by Sawyer and claims to last 42 days or 6 washings. Sounds very promising for protection from ticks and mosquitos

russm86

Reaction score
I bought a big jug of permethrin used for cattle and livestock and I just dilute it down and spray my clothes with it. I actually was able to test it this year as I was able to find a live tick and intentionally put it on my pants that had been washed twice after spraying. The tick started acting like it was drunk after several minutes then I took it off and put it in a jar. It was dead a short while later, so it does work. I've never found a tick on me while wearing my gear that has been sprayed.

robert5

Reaction score
Just ordered a spray bottle of e-bay.ca. So will give it a try.
Update-----company will not ship to Canada so order cancelled.

Last edited:

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I have had a bottle of Repex (99% DEET) in my survival kit for more than 30 years (from my forest fire fighting days in the late 80's)....I have never found biting insects so unbearable that I need repellant during my hunting season

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
DEET will kill you. I had some on my fingers while trying to glass and it melted my finger prints into the binos. Don't get DEET or Permethrin on your skin. I still have some 95% or 99% DEET that I keep in my pack though.
Probably why it is so diluted in the spray-on kinds of repellents. And probably why the shirts and pants are all lined....

fingershooter

Reaction score
yep that stuff will melt paint or Styrofoam but it would work against blackflies....mosquitos don't even make me itch after being bit thousands of times growing up
Hmmmm....not sure if I envy you. I remember sheep hunting Todagin in 25+ degree heat with 95% DEET and 40 sunblock on and the sweat and chemical concoction would run into my eyes and blind me. Still got bit and still got burnt, lol.

Top Bottom