Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

my bank card was hacked

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
.went to use my card yesterday. was decined i went to the bank got a print out ...here i had spent 1100 bucks on play station

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I had a Discover card hacked and used to buy $300 worth of sex toys. It took 6 months of back and forth with the card company to get the charges take off my card. I still ended up paying the interest charges. That is why I will die before I have another Discover card. My wife had her card hacked and used in 2 different purchases in England for $200 each purchase. The card company told her it cost $250 nonrefundable for each purchase to appeal. I had her tell the card company we would talk to our state aturinygeneral about fraud. The next day the charges cam off her card.
Steve

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Even at our retired age, we keep getting requests to sign up for credit cards.
My wife has one with a small limit she uses to purchase items online. I have one to purchase
more expensive items and gasoline. We always, and I mean absolutely always, pay off the
balance before any interest charges can occur. I am old school and prefer to pay by cash.
We use our debit cards otherwise...we don't need any more thank you very much!

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
CC got a charge of $1400 from someplace in China, Charges were reversed right away card canceled and a new card issued. That was TD.

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
weird to see that on a bank card..
I got fraud charges on credit card years ago, but they caught it and insurance covered it. I was ordering a trailer window from a place in the USA-phoned them heard babies crying in the background while I was talking with them, gave credit card # over phone and low and behold one transaction went thru at about $1500 and other they stopped at around $2200 they said. I asked the credit card company on the phone where was the transactions- they said buy baby buy- some online shopping for baby products haha..

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I had a Discover card hacked and used to buy $300 worth of sex toys. It took 6 months of back and forth with the card company to get the charges take off my card. I still ended up paying the interest charges. That is why I will die before I have another Discover card. My wife had her card hacked and used in 2 different purchases in England for $200 each purchase. The card company told her it cost $250 nonrefundable for each purchase to appeal. I had her tell the card company we would talk to our state aturinygeneral about fraud. The next day the charges cam off her card.
Steve
I'll give you some brass for them toys....totally joking man!!!

vetteman

Reaction score
We had a CC issue once. TD Bank notified us that they'd detected a problem. Credit Card was cancelled, and within a week we had a new one and all fraudulent charges had been reversed.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I'll give you some brass for them toys....totally joking man!!!
Oh but that was the problem. The only thing I was going to get out of the deal was the bill. Would have made you a deal. $300 for all I know should bought a lot of toys. More than any couple could use in a long time.
Steve

KH4

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Visa. If there are any charges made outside of the US/Canada where I haven't forewarned them, I get a call within a minute of two from their fraud department, if it's me, I let them know and it goes through, otherwise they shut it down right away. Even multiple large charges in succession (bonus only shopping spree) gets flagged. I think it really depends on what card you have.

Sorry to here about it, hopefully things get sorted quick.

One thing that could be said for most cards is that if there's theft, there's an automatic paper trail and you typically get reimbursed. I have never experienced that with cash :grumpy:

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
There are warning or alarm levels that can be linked to any card, be it credit or debit card, of the type that KH4 has noted. Just let your financial institution know what level of warning that you want and they will happily apply it to the account(s) in question. After all, it is in their interests to protect you from fraud.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
my online bank account was hacked...bank phoned me to ask if i had trouble logging in and if i had asked for a password reset...i said no and that i was driving from work and almost at home...they then said that the hacker was actually in my account creating a digital wallet as we were speaking....i had my comps cleaned and changed all passwords but they got in a gain and again until i changed from logging in with my bank card number to logging in with a knickname...i also have the extra level of security questions and have made it so that i have to go in to the bank in person if i need my password or security questions changed

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
my online bank account was hacked...bank phoned me to ask if i had trouble logging in and if i had asked for a password reset...i said no and that i was driving from work and almost at home...they then said that the hacker was actually in my account creating a digital wallet as we were speaking....i had my comps cleaned and changed all passwords but they got in a gain and again until i changed from logging in with my bank account number to logging in with a knickname...i also have the extra level of security questions and have made it so that i have to go in to the bank in person if i need my password or security questions changed
Wow! And people keep asking me why I don't do business or pay bills 'online.'
I don't have to worry about such things by paying my bills the 'old fashioned way'
and it's the same when I pay cash. People say it's so much more convenient and
easy, but it's also so much more convenient and easy for thieves as well.

Vic

Reaction score
Wow! And people keep asking me why I don't do business or pay bills 'online.'
I don't have to worry about such things by paying my bills the 'old fashioned way'
and it's the same when I pay cash. People say it's so much more convenient and
easy, but it's also so much more convenient and easy for thieves as well.
I might be lucky but firstly I try to be very careful. I have paid my bills online for 10+ years and have never had a problem but before I go online to my bank I run a cleaner. After finishing with the banking I run the cleaner again. So far so good. I like this system because I can do this from home, get a proper transaction record and do it at my convenience. I also have a very specific password that is not used anywhere else.

goatdancer

Reaction score
A few years ago I headed over to Alberta to hunt speed goats. Fueled up in Kelowna and somewhere else later in the day still in BC. Stopped for fuel in Alberta and had to into the station to sign for the CC charge and show ID. My credit card company thought my card had been stolen and some jerk was heading east on free fuel.

Trinity

Reaction score
As much as l hate the intrusiveness and snooping companies do in regards to our spending habits and how we are tracked, a lot of the above stories have happy endings because of it. There must be algorithms and programs running that immediately set of bells if our spending habits are out of the norm. Wife had her card high jacked and used in the States......we were informed and it was a done deal within 15 mins, especially when another charge came through south of the line while she was on the phone with visa. As far as cashing it up for bills........we do as much as possible but its getting harder to walk in a pay bills with "legal tender". The cashless society is a lot closer then us old farts want to admit, once is all electronic we are screwed.

Vic

Reaction score
We were out of the country last September and as usual the wife phoned a credit card company to advise them of the trip. They thanked her but said that it was no longer necessary to call them as they had systems in place to monitor card usage.

Top Bottom