Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

New Truck tires

moosecamp

The only place to be...
Reaction score
Looking at getting a new set of truck tires soon. I have run the Toyo m55s for last half dozen years. What's everybody using these days. It'll be for on and off road use in the fall-winter-spring, must be good for blasted rock. That's how they build roads here on the island. Good in snow but especially on ice. Have a good life span, heavy sidewall. Lets hear what you run and why.
Cheers moosecamp.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
:ROFL: afraid you will need 3 different sets of tires for all those driving needs !!!!
snows are a really soft compound,. the ''blasted ''rock logging roads ''CAN'' tear up soft sidewalls on anything but off road,specific sidewalls.....................that being said, I have run my 4x4s for the last 35+ years on ''A/T'' TIRES .... I'm easy on my 4x4ing these days.....
have a set of B.R GOODRICH Long Trail on the little F150.....they are new so work o.k. in the snow and ''work'' on any deactivated logging roads I feel inclined to climb,some in bull low and 1st. gear......
if I was to ''explore'' up north west island where there are plenty of new blasted rock ,I'd bring a second spare....

KTownKiller

I like lofty heights & Roll'n Stones!!!
Reaction score
For this time of year, I'm actually trying Crappy Tire's AT 3, don't laugh! I heard they're made by Cooper, like their AT3. And those get good reviews! They go on sale for 25% off, like I think they are now. The have a fairly aggressive, good look'n tread, but silent on the highway! They seem to do well on everything so far.
For winters, I just picked up another set of slightly used Hankook I Pikes. I always put real winters on every vehicle in my driveway around here! Just don't get the Cooper ATW (and Crappy Tire has an equivalent, probably made by Cooper also) !!!! It's supposed to be for all terrain and winter.... but they suck in winter!!!! Heard that from a dude I know, and we had them on one of our cars...Their rubber is NOT soft enough for winter driving.

moosecamp

The only place to be...
Reaction score
Dodge ram 1500. Pull a trailer up to 5000lbs. Sometimes a load of firewood, usually 1/2 a cord or less in the truck.

moosecamp

The only place to be...
Reaction score
Hey KTown I was just looking at the C.T's AT 3 online today and was wondering who made them. Will take a look at them when I'm in town next. For the island I just run one set of tires and never really had a problem getting around. Always pack chains if the need arises.

moosecamp

The only place to be...
Reaction score
Also going to be checking out these tires, some good reviews.
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT265/70R17 E/10PR BSW Tires

Redneck

Reaction score
Tire exchange are good guys.
I bought the m55s on my f350 from cedar tire, cheapest I could find by about $200. I'm not thrilled with the wear on em though, I'm thinking of trying the new toyo RTs next. Like you I want tires that wont get shredded on logging roads, will offer traction in snow or mud (beat it BFG mall terrains, g'wan, git! You've got no business here!), and that will have decent life. 20,000 on the m55s and I'll need new ones by the end of winter.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I treated my Dodge to new wheels and tires from Cedar Tire when I did the dually to single wheel conversion Wheels and tires $1649 out the door, been using them for years

2.0e.jpgIMG_20170811_124000a.jpg

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Well the dirty dead is done. Stopped at Cobble Hill tire exchange and talked to the boys there. Ended up driving away with a new used set of BFGoodrich KO2s. Traded my old tires in and paid $618 out the door mounted and balanced. Couldn't pass up that deal.
I was gonna say, I've got BFG KO2's on my canyon (albeit it's a lighter truck), and I've been pretty surprised at how good they are in all sorts of conditions; I went through the ice storm in sumas 2 years ago, last year I went through the big whiteout storm the length of the hope-princeton to trail, and last fall had them in a few feet of snow on our hunt in the okanagan. I've got to have close to 40k km on them and they still have the little nubbins on the side of the tread block, so in addition to being grippier than expected, they look like they'll last longer than expected too (again bear in mind, light truck)

Top Bottom