Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales amended recovery strategy 2018

Thread starter #1

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Totally Effed...

https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...killer-whales-2018-proposed-amended.html#toc3

This government now plans to ram through even more massive closures, based on (--) poor or nonexistent science.
Coming soon to you, total bans on fishing from Sooke right around to Tofino.
Goodbye Ukee, Port, Bamfield, Renfew & Sooke.

Yet they care not, it actually appears to be punishment for the way folks voted (there are NO LIEberal ridings anywhere adjacent).

Happy I got out when I did.
Worried as hell for those still in, and the Communities that they support.

Wondering where the hell this all ends...

Pissed,
Matt

every once in a while ,someone comes up with a little diddy that is SO PERFECT.
and BUCK NAKED just came up with a great one !!!!!!!
JTURDHOLE to apoligize to the ''killer whales''.
well said Sir :Oh Yeah!::Oh Yeah!:

KH4

Orcinus Orca - The Latin name Orcinus translates as "belonging to Orcus". Orcus was a Roman god of the netherworld, and this genus name is likely a reference to the hunting prowess of the killer whale. In Latin, orca translates "large-bellied pot or jar", but orc- also refers to a whale.

Either way, it's a killer. Funny that I was erroneously taught in school that Orca was the native name....

Calling killer whales orcas (latin genus name) is like calling chums 'keta' salmon...

Well, at the end of the day, all that can be done is wait and see....see that regulating the sport fishery will not do much. What is WA doing south of the border?

philcott

Mucho Gusto
South of the border they are running fish hatcheries and banning in the ocean fish farms. The have also, in the last few years, started taking out dams that have impacted the salmon runs but don't mention that too much or Trump might get word of it and open everything for development.

Thread starter #8

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
It gets worse...

Six conservation groups have filed a lawsuit in Federal Court over the Canadian government's failure to issue an emergency order to protect B.C.'s endangered southern resident killer whales.

Lawyers with Ecojustice filed the Federal Court application Wednesday on behalf of the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Natural Resources Defense Council, Raincoast Conservation Foundation and World Wildlife Fund Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-conservation-fisheries-environment-1.4811356

Totaly Effed... :disgust:
Nog

It gets worse...

Six conservation groups have filed a lawsuit in Federal Court over the Canadian government's failure to issue an emergency order to protect B.C.'s endangered southern resident killer whales.

Lawyers with Ecojustice filed the Federal Court application Wednesday on behalf of the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Natural Resources Defense Council, Raincoast Conservation Foundation and World Wildlife Fund Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-conservation-fisheries-environment-1.4811356

Totaly Effed... :disgust:
Nog
I wonder if the sea lions, seals, and others are donating a "fin" each to the lawyer's fund?
They are going to get fat(er) and will end up multiplying like rabbits. :Doh!: :mad:

KH4

Well, it all fits the current government practice of managing to zero. Once there's an issue, show up a day late and buck short.

I've noticed that the conservation groups only seem to stand up for the animals (endangered or not) that the coastal eco-tourism industry relies on: killer whales and grizzlies.

None of them seem to give a crap about the mountain caribou, white sturgeon, moose, or mule deer population declines.....

....steelhead, inland salmon runs....

Last edited:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
If they shut down the west coast to fishing to save the whales, then they should also:
Ban tanker traffic
Ban fish farms
Ban whale watchers
Ban aboriginal fisheries
Ban Commercial fisheries

Of course I don't really want all that stuff banned. Fish farms would be ok. My point is if this federal government is so concerned about the population of Orcas then they should be consistent with their application of measures to protect them.
On one hand they express concern about shipping impact on them and then want to put more oil tankers in the water.
They cut back the sportsfishing but continue to do other stuff that isn't helping the cause. Sportys and commercial guys are taking the hit and the feds can say oh well we tried...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom