Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

On The Road Again - for the last time.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Ya shoulda seen it when it was swollen up! Black n blue right down to the knuckle by the palm. :grumpy:
Could have been worse! A former neighbour friend phoned me from his farm in the doondocks
west of Lake Winnipegosus last night and told me he had caught his little finger between 2 pieces
of heavy metal, squishing the end right off. Yup, he said it hurt a lot on the long drive to a hospital.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
There you go CS, attractive home with property prices, good variety of fish and game to pursue, and you could be
neighbours to BW.
It is something we are definitely open to exploring the option of doing. The prices are definitely much more to my liking than here in BC, but it would be awful hard to leave this province.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Ya - it is a bit different that's for sure. I have to spend some time here as a resident before I can get my license(s).... I doubt that they are going to honour my BC time, so I might have to challenge the test.... :Black Eye:

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I found a half built gun cabinet/case in the far corner of the basement. Good winter project for me.....

Not to mention building some kind of tool rack or shelving over the bench that is under the window there. You can see the existing bench and shelving off to the left, but I need somewhere to hang a few 'oft used' tools and it looks like I'll be drilling some holes in that cement. Always a fun job.

I wired in some florescent fixtures to give me lottsa light and then wired them into the existing lights so everything operates from one wall switch. There's enough elect. outlets for my purposes but I gotta get thing organized down there. Then - there is the double garage to get organized too..... I thought retirement was going to be a lazy kind of thing.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
When living home on the farm we had an old 2 story plus full basement house with minimal insulation and a really big and hungry wood-coal burning furnace. When the boys were old enough it was our duty to keep it going, including packing and stacking firewood. My dad handled the cutting and splitting until we were teenagers. A lot of time consuming work so I’m glad I had 3 brothers plus my twin sister who only packed and stacked. We would try and take off any loose bark to reduce the number of creepy crawlers from enjoying the warm basement. The bark slabs were brought directly from outside into the hot fire.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
That bit of snow you see is the first we have had so far. Kind of reminds me of BC weather. I suspect that late Dec and into Jan/Feb will be the real test though.

I've been lucky in that there have been no unwanted bugs on or in the wood so far. I wonder how my luck will hold.

That is a Home Depot 5-ton electric log splitter sitting on that little stack of pallets. Sure is a handy, dandy rig. Saves a lot of back breaking splitting with the axe and mallet. Even kindling is a breeze on that thing. Best money I've spent in a long time.

The basement is 65+ feet long and 26+ feet wide, so there is plenty of room to play down there. Room for all that wood, my 'shop' and still more room to spare. Long time since I had a decent basement like this.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I got a bit more done in the basement this snowy day..... Not too much in the way of materials to work with, but I'm doing the best I can.

The snow kept coming down pretty much all day today (about 4 to 5 inches total) so after getting a few things at the store I spent the rest of the day in the basement, playing and puttering around, trying to get some of those boxes emptied and put away.

Does anyone else take time to go through jars of screws and sort them into different lengths and different kinds of drives - like Phillips and Robertson - and then put them into separate containers and label them for easy finding later? Or do I have way too much time on my hands? :Maybe:

20191207_170941.jpg

This is my garden wagon helper.... lets me stack 6 or 7 armloads of wood on him and we haul it into the basement and re-stack it.

I'd be lost with out his help. wtfe

20191207_171119.jpg

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I got a bit more done in the basement this snowy day..... Not too much in the way of materials to work with, but I'm doing the best I can.

The snow kept coming down pretty much all day today (about 4 to 5 inches total) so after getting a few things at the store I spent the rest of the day in the basement, playing and puttering around, trying to get some of those boxes emptied and put away.

Does anyone else take time to go through jars of screws and sort them into different lengths and different kinds of drives - like Phillips and Robertson - and then put them into separate containers and label them for easy finding later? Or do I have way too much time on my hands? :Maybe:

View attachment 20993
This is my garden wagon helper.... lets me stack 6 or 7 armloads of wood on him and we haul it into the basement and re-stack it.

View attachment 20994
[/QUOTE

View attachment 20993

View attachment 20994
Yup, every few years I go through my little shop sorting and tidying everything...usually when the clutter is hard to get around.

Top Bottom