Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Poached or simply got away

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score

I read this story today on castanet and I was wondering something...how can we be certain if this moose was illegally shot or perhaps was wounded and got away and died by a hunter with an Leh? Is there obvious factors that could lead one to believe either way? Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for a poacher, but how can anyone determine for sure?

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
The most likely scenario to me would be that someone or individuals shot the moose but were
frightened away by someone else coming along. I personally don't think the game wardens have
an axe to grind so as they were physically on scene, they made their conclusion from what they saw.
There's all manner of dipsxxxs out there besides poachers though...I've come upon cow moose shot
and left, both cattle and horses shot either by sadists or reckless shooters, and I've seen a prize bull
shot right beside the road in a grazed down field in retaliation because a young Gang Ranch cowboy
wouldn't pull someone's heavy camperized 2 wheel drive truck out of a nasty area that clearly was
marked with a big sign reading '4 wheel drive only, no towing beyond this point.'

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Wow Dave, those are some crazy accounts. People shooting horses and cattle? Total douche bag thing to do
I posted one incident a long time ago...I came cross a large Hereford cow that had been shot in the rear and stomach.
It died a slow death after tromping on it's own guts as it tore a large area up as if a bulldozer had been there. It was
absolutely sickening! What was even worse was that it was shot in a small park-like area with a few trees and no underbrush
so there's literally no way the shooter didn't know it was a cow they shot. I once turned in the license numbers from some
drunk hunters that told me they had shot something up along the side of a logging slash above their camp. They shot at it's
eyes. They didn't even go up to investigate so I did, finding a full grown Herford cow dead from at least one bullet. Never
heard from the RCMP about the outcome.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Killing a mans livestock is a fools game. Not long ago, those responsible would be hung. I remember being in the cariboo ages ago, and seeing a cow behind a fence with COW spray painted on the side.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
It's not often that the culprits are caught though. Even the drunken jackxxxxs that admitted to
shooting 'an animal' wouldn't get what they deserved because they would plead that they were
afraid a wild animal was stalking them. Cowboys, game wardens, hikers, and forestry workers
have had bullets come their way, some have been hit. There's absolutely no excuse I would entertain
if I were on the jury, especially if it was proven they were drunk or intentionally shot toward someone
in an effort to scare them or for a prank. (I've had all 3 scenarios happen to me)

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
It happens a lot, so many people get overly excited and then scare off when they realize the moose they shot has too much antler. I've always hated the point counting game, they should just take back the 25% allocation of bull moose from the outfitters and limit how many tags are available in each MU. If the moose populations ever recover to the stage there was enough opportunity for a general open season then the outfitters should get an allocation.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Found this guy up near Lake Cowichan last weekend. Fifteen feet off a main logging road. Someone just cut off the antlers and not in a way that indicates they wanted to display them.

View attachment 20343
I find things like that to be absolutely despicable. :Really Mad:

What a waste- not to mention the non-legal aspects of the act. :Na-ahh:

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Found this guy up near Lake Cowichan last weekend. Fifteen feet off a main logging road. Someone just cut off the antlers and not in a way that indicates they wanted to display them.
Appears to be the same one my Buddy found.
He called it in with area description, and was setting up his GPS to collect that while reporting. CO said "Antlers cut off like so?"
Yep.
That was me that took the antlers, we already know about that one.

He and my Buddy then discussed the other 4 they know have been shot, and only partially recovered in much the same area.

Sickening! :disgust:

Nog

Reaction score
Hmm...interesting that it was the CO that cut off the antlers. That would mean that someone shot the thing just for something to do. Should be hung up by their nuts. I did know that the CO's were aware of it; I also heard that a thread had been posted on the HBC forum. Didn't see anything there though.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
found a dead WT doe on Sunday up north state road..first branch to the right about 1km up ..6 feet off the road on the left side..perfect heart shot...been dead about a week to 10 days maybe shot out of doe season? or just a lost animal? very sad to see the waste..

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
found a dead WT doe on Sunday up north state road..first branch to the right about 1km up ..6 feet off the road on the left side..perfect heart shot...been dead about a week to 10 days maybe shot out of doe season? or just a lost animal? very sad to see the waste..
That's horrible

ghost

Reaction score
found a cow moose shot in reg 3 20 on george creek fsr.who ever shot took the meat left head and feet

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
found a cow moose shot in reg 3 20 on george creek fsr.who ever shot took the meat left head and feet
With all these accounts, it's evident the problem is worse than what I thought. Well at least people aren't jumping on the native bashing bandwagon like some sites. Hard to prove who is actually doing it...my guess it's poachers from all walks

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Very true Nov, unfortunately the Indians have put themselves on the "usual suspect" list and don't seem to try to get off it by policing themselves.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I will say in all fairness that I believe just about every incident I've related was done by non-indigenous
shooters.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Very true Nov, unfortunately the Indians have put themselves on the "usual suspect" list and don't seem to try to get off it by policing themselves.
But in all fairness the rest of us are faced by challenges policing the "others" being any other race than the natives, i wonder how many white, brown, yellow fellows don't abide by the rules. I'm quite alarmed by all the above posts reporting finding does and cow moose. Makes me wonder why the anti's never protest for more CO's? Guess it wouldn't fit in their agenda? More CO's would be a good start to stem this scourge

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
But in all fairness the rest of us are faced by challenges policing the "others" being any other race than the natives, i wonder how many white, brown, yellow fellows don't abide by the rules. I'm quite alarmed by all the above posts reporting finding does and cow moose. Makes me wonder why the anti's never protest for more CO's? Guess it wouldn't fit in their agenda? More CO's would be a good start to stem this scourge
I agree! I've traveled all over the Okanagan, Interior, Cariboo, Chilcotin and western parts of the Kootenays
for a great many years during hunting season and I probably can count the number of times I've been checked
by COs away from their permanent check points, like the one that used to be in Cache Creek, on one hand.
I've also traveled all over the desert regions of Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, and through
the countryside of Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana, and in doing so have both seen many
Rangers and have been either stopped or gone through check points far more times than in BC.

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
The thing is they are judged by what they do. Indians (not all but enough) by their public admission do poach and sell illegal fish and game with near immunity, just like st Craig's List. When you are discussing the elk poached out of the Nahmint and you hear an Indian say and I quote "damned Redskins how can they respect us as Steward's of the land when we do this $hit" it's not surprising they are the first to get looked at.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
The thing is they are judged by what they do. Indians (not all but enough) by their public admission do poach and sell illegal fish and game with near immunity, just like st Craig's List. When you are discussing the elk poached out of the Nahmint and you hear an Indian say and I quote "damned Redskins how can they respect us as Steward's of the land when we do this $hit" it's not surprising they are the first to get looked at.
Yes, some indigenous have openly bragged about killing animals and fish, far more than for sustenance, for the sole purpose
of selling. I've personally seen piles of rotting fish discarded because the Federal Fisheries was prowling nearby. It has been
proven that indigenous are behind killed animals left with only the best parts taken. It has be proven an indigenous person
was responsible for the killing of several eagles merely for the feathers....but they aren't the only ones doing these crimes.
I can't prove it, but I've had Caucasian men confide in me that they were poachers selling meat at one time or another.
I certainly don't condone poaching....but I deplore illegally killing any game animal or fish just for the sake of killing something,
or by being reckless and totally irresponsible by 'sound shooting' or shooting at glowing eyes etc.

Turnagain

Reaction score
Poachers are poachers...regardless!
Some show no respect for the laws or wildlife and use every scheme possible to be able to pull the trigger and cash in on what they think is theirs to take.
A classic example is the recent case where 8 moose were taken by a group that had 2 LEH authorizations.
They were caught trying to take them home 2 at a time on punched tags.
No status cards in the crowd.
The hillbilly mentality that some hunters possess needs to go...but probably never will due to human nature and genetic selection.
Some think it’s their good given right to drive around 24/7...drink booze and shoot sh*t.
The latest wilderness adventures for some even include drugs.
A couple of my young guides were absolutely disgusted this year when they came across a camp with a discarded crack pipe in it.
A remote lake with a single party flown into makes it simple to figure out who the dopers were.
We need to clean up our act.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
When I first started hunting about 7-8 years ago I went with a guy up the coq, we stopped in Hope for gas and he sauntered on into the beer and wine and grabbed himself a case. As time went on he got drunker and drunker and was acting like a moron. Anyway, fast forward a few months and we were talking about that day and he casually said to me "yeah, I did a bit of blow, that was a fun trip, we should do that again", well there never was an "again" with him. I don't mind a bit of booze as long you don't act like a monkey but drugs will put a fellow on my "no fly" list

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
People enjoying a drink or two while sitting around a campfire after a day of hunting
is not a problem with me as long as they don't overdo it and are impaired when heading
out hunting the next morning. I make no exceptions with anyone. My dad was an alcoholic
and I took him hunting a lot...but only after I laid the law down about him being impaired
while in the possession of a gun. Fortunately no one I've ever taken has shot at inanimate
or indiscriminate things like signs, hydro insulators etc, because it would be their last time
with me for any outing, including fishing or hiking.

Top Bottom