Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Points To Ponder

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Reaction score
How Old Is Grandma .........

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought
About the shootings at schools, the computer age, and
Just things in general ...

The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute,
I was born before:
' television
' penicillin
' polio shots
' frozen foods
' Xerox
' contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill

There were no:
' credit cards
' laser beams or
' ball-point pens

Man had NOT yet invented:

' pantyhose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers ' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and 'man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before ***-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends \ not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent (5 and dime) stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' "chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and.
' "software" wasn't even a word.

We were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
We volunteered to protect our precious country.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How old do you think I am?

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.
Are you ready?

This woman would be only 61 years old.
She would have been born in late 1952.
GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

Guntech

Dennis Sorensen
Reaction score
A lot of errors in it I think... born in late 1952...

Penicillin was discovered in 1928 and being used for infections in 1942

[h=1]Prices in 1952[/h]
Prices for 1952
House: $16,800
Average income: $3,515
Ford car: $1526-$2384
Milk: $.96
Gas: $.20
Bread $.16
Postage stamp: $.03
Hen Turkeys: $ .53 lb
Pkg of 6 Bran muffins $.21
1 lb pkg of M&M’s candies: $.59
Gillette Blue Blades, pkg of 10: $ .49

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the inaccuracies are unintentional and there to make a point about change in society. Depending on where the numbers come from, your numbers could be incorrect too ^^^ I highly doubt a house in Goodsoil Sask would have cost 16k in 1952! Depending on where you live would change all kinds of numbers! I remember my grandpas house didn't have flushing toilet until I was about 10-11 years old. :popcorn:

Buck fever

Reaction score
If you got polio you died ,or were crippled for life, mostly children. Getting laid meant getting married. No birth control, and thus lots of shotgun weddings, often to complete assholes, who beat their wives with impunity.
Elders were forced to live in abject poverty, and medical expenses were not insured for the not so rich, and could bankrupt or kill ,many times kill children.
Yes, things were cheap, but so were employers. Took a lot of work and time to save up for anything. Many disease and health problems, now cureable, were not. Travel was restricted to the rich only, as were long distance phone calls and communication. Restaurants, etc ,were filled with smokers, blowing it in your face, no escape. One pretty well had to work year round, to survive. I worked most of my life one month a year ,the rest being play time, not an option back then. Only copycat, cookie cutter, work all the time, lifestyles were your only option back then.
Women were barred from the trades and making a decent wage, and could be sexually harassed by employers , who didn't know if harass was one word or two, with impunity. Women's total, forced economic dependence on men was disgusting, and enforced by dinosaur attitudes. They were barred from jobs which could significantly add to family income, or their personal economic freedom.. Bill Cosby and slimballs like him could drug and rape with impunity. They were brainwashed into thinking, at 20 years old ,their only option was to get married as quickly as possible, start making babies, and buying real estate.If you didn't want to live the only "approved" copycat lifestyle, you were on your own. No woman would even consider living any differently from everyone else. That was not in their programming.

There was only one back and white TV channel available ,your only option.

No charter of rights. Innocent people were commonly hanged , framed, beaten and shot by police, with no accountability, for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or the wrong colour.
Still happens, but we have more options, the charter of rights, and video cameras, to take it to the highest court in the land, Youtube, which could make them face serious consequences.
Mounties routinely stole children from loving parents, and gave them to the complete control of govt pedophiles ,preachers, who could abuse them in any way they pleased, torture ,and even murder them, with impunity.
No laser surgery, glasses for life. No dental implants, if you lost your teeth, it was a denture contraption in your mouth for life.

No thanks ! I'll take the progress we have made , since those backward, hillbilly times.

Last edited:

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Both of my Grandmaws have been grown for a very long time. My Mother will be 89 this year. Some of the dates were wrong but maybe closer to when the item was avable to the average person. I do agree that the progress in the last 50 years has made life much better. The problem is that it has also freed up too much time for some people and that has allowed them to come up with less than steller ideas that are now causing problems and are convincing others to come up with even worse ideas.
Steve

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Both of my Grandmaws have been grown for a very long time. My Mother will be 89 this year. Some of the dates were wrong but maybe closer to when the item was avable to the average person. I do agree that the progress in the last 50 years has made life much better. The problem is that it has also freed up too much time for some people and that has allowed them to come up with less than steller ideas that are now causing problems and are convincing others to come up with even worse ideas.
Steve
I agree...like has been said, 'an idle mind is the devil's workshop.'

Starta councils, parks and playground committees, and similar groups are an example...
Good ideas come from them when first organized, but after all those good ideas are
implemented, many in the committees rack their minds to come up with something new
to justify the committee's continued existance even if those new ideas are silly or absurd.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
a few years ago, when visiting my granny, she gave me a bunch of family tree research my great uncle had done many years ago.....when looking back 3 or 4 generations there was almost always 1 or more children that had died quite young in the info

Top Bottom