Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Premium Brands of Scotch...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

• Admin

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I'm a Scotch drinker - and have been since I was in my early 20's. I enjoy the taste and flavour much more than Rye, Vodka, or any other booze - except for Rum and Tequila.

I do not like Johnny Walker as an "every day" kind of Scotch - at all, I do like Famous Grouse. Although I am not a fan of Glen Fiddick. Once, after I did a big favour for a friend he bought me a bottle of 12 year old Glen Farclas. That to me was an outstanding drink.

Once in a while I'll treat myself to a good bottle - in any of mt three favorites. Since I am talking about Scotch here, I'll confine my comments to that particular hooch. Years ago I bought Bells 25 year olde as a treat for me, myself, and I (I like to share).... it cost $25.00 back then (the equivalent to $75.00 now). Really, Really enjoyed that.

Then, I went to Glen Livet 12 year old.... that was also a good one, but my tastes continued to mature and develop. I've tried a lot of brands over the years, including (but not limited to) a bottle of Tomatin 12 year old. That one was right up there with my favorites.

Some of the other 12 year oldes I have tried have been:
  • Chivas Regal
  • Ballantine
  • McCallan
  • Dewar's
  • Pinch
  • Grant's
  • Buchanan's
  • Cutty Sark
  • Laphroaig (hated that one)
  • Lagavulin (hated it)
Others that I have bought have fled from the memory... but of the ones listed I've underlined and bolded the ones that I liked and would not hesitate to buy again.

Just recently I bought a bottle to share with friends who were visiting from BC..... that bottle turned out to be one of the best premium Scotches that I can remember buying in a long, long time. It was a bottle of AnCnoc (pronounced An-noc).

images.jpg

[h=2]Colour[/h]Gentle amber with a slight yellow hue.

[h=2]Nose[/h]Soft, very aromatic with a hint of honey and lemon in the foreground.

[h=2]Taste[/h]Sweet to start with an appetising fruitiness and a long smooth finish. Light yet complex, smooth yet challenging. This is a dram that has something for everyone.

Screenshot.png

This is now my Scotch of choice. :Oh Yeah!:

What''s yours??

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
I really like the 12 yr old Dalmore single malt. We stopped at the Distillery this summer to tour but it was all booked up. She bought me a bottle a week ago. I wish there was some left. Not sure how much$ she wouldn't tell me. Very dark, and smooooth.

- - - Updated - - -

I have sampled many from very peaty to fruity. I like them all just some more than others. Highland Park, Lafroige (sp) and Scapa are some of my favorites.

Riverbc

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
No need to see a doc if u r drinking GOOD scotch. Beer on the other hand, well there's brewer's droop And dikdoo disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Admin

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I might be sacrilegious here, BUT..... a sip of neat scotch washed down with a swallow of cold beer is pretty darned tasty.

I am definitely NOT a fan of peaty Scotches, such as Laphroaig, or Lagavulin. No matter what the age or vintage.

randymac

Reaction score
I do like a good single malt scotch except for some of the peatier ones like Laphroaig . Dont know why but all the blended scotch's taste like glue to me as well as a couple of the lower end single malts. Most Irish whiskey however is very good straight out of the bottle and spend less than a bottle of Glenfiddich or Glenlevit on a single malt irish whiskey and you've got some good sipping whiskey. Had the pleasure of touring the Bushmill distillery this spring and their 10 12 and 18 year olds are all very good.

Sitkaspruce

having fun
Reaction score
Right now

McClellands 12 yo - Great hunting scotch, very smooth and nice around the fire
Auchentoshan Valinch - Smooth and easy!! My choice for easy sipping
Hyland Park - waiting to crack the bottle....
Laphroaig Quarter cask - Only one way to really enjoy this peaty delicious scotch.....3 cubes, pour a finger and half and let sit for 3-5 min, then enjoy!!!

Cheers

SS

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Anyone that drinks Scotch must be sick. Go see a doctor .....
It has been said ....... that the Scottish folks may be a little different than the rest of humanity.
The men wear nice skirts ....
They don't stack lumber .... they throw it.
Tend to leave the mutton on the hillside, and take the gut-bag home .... to share with family and friends. :kewl:
Have never mastered the English language .... :highly_amused:
And ........ they make/drink a vile fluid called 'Scotch'.
Difficult to tell the difference between Glenfiddich and Coleman Campstove Gas .... small wink

Being a mongrel ...... there's a 'bit of plaid' in my lineage also .....
Drink up boys & girls .....

Last edited:

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Reaction score
Best I ever had was Glenmorangie 25 year. New Years Eve 2000 shared a bottle with a friend ($450).

Lately I have found this one to be excellent value for money (for my taste):

Last edited:

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
started drinking scotch in my 20's when cheap and tolerable was more important than expensive smooth....I switched to brandy 15 years ago as my neat alcohol of choice....the one cheap and tolerable scotch that I found to be my favourite was Queen Anne...my cheap and tolerable brandy is Fundador and even though I can afford more expensive brandys/cognacs/armagnacs I often just buy the fundador....

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Funador is a nice "inexpensive" brandy Bill - no need to be ashamed of supping on a dram or two.... :Oh Yeah!:

Best I ever had was Glenmorangie 25 year. New Years Eve 2000 shared a bottle with a friend ($450).

Lately I have found this one to be excellent value for money (for my taste):

Paul - that will be my next "adventure" in the world of Scootch.....

I do like a good single malt scotch except for some of the peatier ones like Laphroaig . Dont know why but all the blended scotch's taste like glue to me as well as a couple of the lower end single malts. Most Irish whiskey however is very good straight out of the bottle and spend less than a bottle of Glenfiddich or Glenlevit on a single malt irish whiskey and you've got some good sipping whiskey. Had the pleasure of touring the Bushmill distillery this spring and their 10 12 and 18 year olds are all very good.
Black Label - 10 year olde single cask..... No peat, smooth like baby's bum, heart warming like a hug from your mother.....

Tomatin

Reaction score
Uuummmmm, I really like scotch... my handle says it all.:rolleyes:

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Tomatin - have you had a chance to sample the AnCnoc???

I'm sipping a couple ounces as I try to type..... it's been a long hard day.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough I've yet to try Johnny Walker, I probably should though.
I like the Glenlivet 12 and have a bottle of Macallans as well.

My brother is into the extra peaty stuff (smokeeater, laphroaig, etc..), it's certainly not for me.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Funnily enough I've yet to try Johnny Walker, I probably should though.
I like the Glenlivet 12 and have a bottle of Macallans as well.

My brother is into the extra peaty stuff (smokeeater, laphroaig, etc..), it's certainly not for me.
Definitely an "acquired taste" and one that I don't seem to be able to acquire...... I've have found that of all the Premium ones - this AnCnoc 12 year old is by far and away the smoothest and richest tasting whisky I have tried. Glen Livet is thin and watery compared to AnCnoc - and yet the AnCnoc is not peaty at all.

Johnnie Walker (at least all that I have sipped) is harsh and grating to my tastes. The best blended scotch for the money has to be Famous Grouse. Not expensive, a great mixer if you like Rob Roy drinks, and very passable on its own neat or on the rocks.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Definitely an "acquired taste" and one that I don't seem to be able to acquire...... I've have found that of all the Premium ones - this AnCnoc 12 year old is by far and away the smoothest and richest tasting whisky I have tried. Glen Livet is thin and watery compared to AnCnoc - and yet the AnCnoc is not peaty at all.

Johnnie Walker (at least all that I have sipped) is harsh and grating to my tastes. The best blended scotch for the money has to be Famous Grouse. Not expensive, a great mixer if you like Rob Roy drinks, and very passable on its own neat or on the rocks.
Interesting, I'll check it out.
I like the other two wise men (Jack Daniels and Jim Beam)
I've never heard of a Rob Roy, so I guess some more investigation is required :Here's To Ya:

Bow Walker

Reaction score
From Wikipedia.....

Rob Roy - Cocktail

Type; Cocktail
Primary alcohol by volume; Scotch whisky
Served; Choice of "straight up" or "On the rocks"
Standard garnish; 2 Maraschino cherries on a skewer or lemon twist
Standard drinkware; Cocktail Glass (Martini)Cocktail glass

Commonly used ingredients
4.5 cl Scotch whisky
2.5 cl Sweet vermouth
Dash Angostura bitters
Preparation; Stirred over ice, strained into a chilled glass, garnished, and served straight up, or mixed in rocks glass, filled with ice.

The Rob Roy is a cocktail created in 1894 by a bartender at the Waldorf Astoria in Manhattan, New York City. The drink was named in honor of the premiere of Rob Roy, an operetta by composer Reginald De Koven and lyricist Harry B. Smith loosely based upon Scottish folk hero Rob Roy MacGregor.[1][2]

A Rob Roy is similar to a Manhattan but is made exclusively with Scotch whisky, while the Manhattan is traditionally made with rye and today commonly made with bourbon or Canadian whisky.[3][4][5]

Like the Manhattan, the Rob Roy can be made "sweet", "dry", or "perfect". The standard Rob Roy is the sweet version, made with sweet vermouth, so there is no need to specify a "sweet" Rob Roy when ordering. A "dry" Rob Roy is made by replacing the sweet vermouth with dry vermouth. A "perfect" Rob Roy is made with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth.[4][5][6]

The Rob Roy is usually served in a cocktail glass and garnished with two maraschino cherries on a skewer (for the standard version) or a lemon twist (for the perfect and dry versions).[4][5][6]
landscape-1430417155-dmg-robroy-cocktail-002.jpg

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I often mix myself what I call a "Poor Man's Rob Roy"

3 or 4 ice cubes
Scotch to cover and just float said ice cubes
Sweet Vermouth to darken drink to desired level.

Wait a few minutes and sip slowly over and hour or so......

Tomatin

Reaction score
I have grown fond of Tomatin 18 yr. AnCnoc is a fine choice as well, hummm, so many choices ... life is good

wildcatter

Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:
F

Fear No Deer

Interesting indeed never would have thought the Japanese would have made it.

Tomatin

Reaction score
Let us know when and where one can sample such spirits. :Oh Yeah!:

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Wouldn't ya just know it! :Really Mad:

I find that AnCnoc Whisky and get a bottle - fall in love with it and the damned store here is delisting it...... :can't find it::Really Mad:

wildcatter

Reaction score
I wonder why was one of my attachment blocked???

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I've yet to try a premium Japanese Scotch. Too scared that they will be peaty and harsh - like Lagavulin and Laphroag.

wildcatter

Reaction score
I've yet to try a premium Japanese Scotch. Too scared that they will be peaty and harsh - like Lagavulin and Laphroag.
Japanese whiskies are a different class by themselves.
Non are heavily peated like Ardbeg or Laphroaig.
I would recommend the Hakushu 12 if you can find it.
Wonderfully fresh, with a hint of smoke and the nose is amazing.
Some describe it as Japanese forest in a bottle.
Sometime available in the States and not cheap.
Hibiki is another good to try and there are several.
Here is a very good site with a lot of reviews: http://whiskyreviews.blogspot.ca/

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Thanks for that WC.... good site!

I'm gong in to see what they carry in the way Of Japanese whisky here in Charlottetown. I'm not expecting a lot, but I think I saw one or two brands.... just didn't pay attention at the time. Some research and testing is in order.

F

Fear No Deer

:Doh!: I cannot believe a thread on pony pee has lasted this long, listen guys beer is good and god is great, yep they wrote a song about it never heard one on drinking scotch now have yah.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay other then George Thurgood but one bourbon one scotch and one beer includes them all.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Oh you naughty, naughty Pirate, you.... :hopelessness:

Never been to sea - just on the Ferries across to the Big Smoke from my Island Paradise way too many times..... although, I do enjoy a 3-finger measure over ice of good Rum. Not that flavoured crap, but good rum - rum like Cruzan.....

cruzan_estatediamond_darkrum750__08812.1378327589.380.500.jpg

Top Bottom