Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

PRODUCT REVIEW THREAD

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
This thread is for posting reviews of outdoor products, equipment and suppliers you use. Whether positive or negative please keep you reports/posts factual, respectful and based on YOUR PERSONAL knowledge and experience try to stay away from 'my cousin's wife's brother's girlfriend's great uncle said" lol.

KTownKiller

I like lofty heights & Roll'n Stones!!!
Reaction score
Where do I begin!!!??? :What?: I spend waaay too many hours pick'n out my gear!!! I can really get carried away here!!! I love stuff that's often times a little outside the box. LOL.
I like to find stuff that comes from very small, maybe home based businesses even. I easily turn away from big box stores, to search out other sources with great performing stuff!
Oh crap! Here I go!

Like Hammer Bullets, engineered and CNCed by Steve;
Tarptent, designed by Henrey Shires, sewn in Seattle;
Alaska Guide Creations, chest packs designed by Jaret Owens, and a few ideas to improve them from me. LOL! :yeah, right: He asked for ideas!

There's a start!
KTK

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Reaction score
Thanks but not exactly what we are looking for Nolan. Pick a product give us the good the bad and the ugly on it. Let us know why it works(or doesn,t) for you. Let's not turn it into free advertising for non sponsors, love a specific product or hate it.

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
The Kolpin 'Gun Boot' supposedly will take a 51" scoped rifle. Many/most sporting rifles are 42"+ . . . .
Kolpin informed me that they had no intention of offering a smaller end cap on their 'Gun Boot'.
I sectioned the end cap by removing a mid piece, gently heating the cap, and sliding the end into the heated part. Sealed with a marine sealer made for poly and a 1/2 dozen flat cap bolts. Handle can be taken off . . . .
The Kolpin 'Gun Boot' is a usable product, but does need additional padding inside. Closed cell foam, cut and shaped, will work nicely.IMG_1793.JPGIMG_1794.JPG

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Reaction score
Great thanks Greg for not only a good review but a fix as well. :Oh Yeah!:

KTownKiller

Reaction score
I was get'n to that Jim, just warm'n up, Doc!
Dude! How do I do a review so it doesn't advertise!!? :What?:

Last edited:

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
LEE PRECISION ..Single stage press( be sure it has the redesigned STEEL TOGGLE ).
LEE dies ...simple,cheap and ''bullet proof''' no pun intended.
LEE hand prime,especially the latest ''square'' primer holder''.

have C-H custom dies, r.c.b.s and LYMAN dies....all cost way more than LEE and some not easy to adjust....... LEE ,it just plain works....

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I moved this thread into the Outdoor Gear Forum as I think this is where it belongs.

Please don't get the idea that because this thread is in (what some consider to be) a forum that is not all that active that the thread will disappear....Not So.

It will only disappear if there are no new replies.

KTownKiller

Reaction score
Ok, I'll give ya my break down on some stuff I like, maybe love even! :yeah, right:

If ya wanna know about Hammer Bullets, look up my "Hammered a Stone" thread. Controlled carnage at looong range....!!!!!

Tarptents for awesome, light weight quality. Like my Cloudburst 3, rated for 3 people, but weighs 3-4 lbs!!! His single person tents weigh about the same as a bivy!

Alaska Guide Creation bino chest packs, the original that started all the others! Jaret made his first one over 30 years ago for his guiding in Alaska. They've got room for extras, like range finder, headlamp, maps, licence,....they look like they'd get in the way, but I never find that. The bungee cord on them was my idea. It replaced the noisy plastic clip he used to use. Another guy gave Jaret some ideas, and is now marketing them for Jaret. Sales have taken off!!!

For an awesome day pack that can haul up to 100 lbs of Vego's nightmare also, check out Eberlestock's X2!!! I see they carry Eberlestock at our Westside Store!!!

Great thread idea, Jim!

More to come!
KTK

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Product review eh?

My biggest approval rating for any product that comes to mind is for my all time favourite arrow shaft. GOLD TIP

I've been using these shafts since I got into archery and bought a half-dozen from a shop out in Langley. When I started making my own arrows these were THE shaft of choice. They are tough as nails, they are forgiving of a missed shot, and they just seem like that pink bunny that keeps on going and going and going.

They have survived my ineptness in accuracy many times. I always test bend my shafts right after screwing up, and these ones always survive the test - unless mortally injured from smacking into a rock or something equally as hard.

I have used many other brands over the years, but none have held up as well as the Gold Tips.

KTownKiller

Reaction score
Nolan - since I'm too lazy to look it up via google, can you post up a couple picks of your customized bino harness for us?
Mine is different than Jaret's stock ones now. If ya Google it, there's lots that come up. Even Mr. Weatherby is using one on his vid with his new 6.5x300.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see your modification(s) Nolan....maybe it/they will inspire someone else to modify their own stuff. :What?:

Foxton Gundogs

Reaction score
Soo after a month or so of use in all conceivable situations I have a review for you.
We all know Roy Gerrath, Blacktail Custom Designs is a Master Bladesmith who produces awesome knives of all shapes and sizes from small capers to BIG Bowies and some pretty fine sounding calls. But he has recently branched out into some awesome leather work. He recently sent me a tooled stock cover/shell holder. I installed i and used the rifle on bush hunts tried it in the saddle scabbard, quad racks in the truck and let me tell you not only is it a work of art but also a very functional addition, the only thing I did other than installing it was I applied a couple of coats of Coach-O-Line to soften and waterproof it. It keeps ammo clean dry and secure, If anyone is thinking of spiffing up a rifle and like me hate those cheap stretchy shell holders Talk to Roy, you wont be sorry.

jd1.jpg
jd2.jpg
jd4.jpg
jd.jpg
:Oh Yeah!:

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
LOOKS GREAT !!!!!
My 88 has a basket weave design on stock / forend and my custom folding knife has a basket weave on its sheath......Ummmmmm, picture time eh !!!:Heh, heh, heh:

Top Bottom