Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Prop guard on kicker.

HighVelocity

Reaction score
I’ve noticed in many pics that guys run prop guards on their kickers. I assume it’s to keep fishing line and downrigger cables from getting wrapped up, but am curious how much of an issue this is with 60” booms on downriggers. Now that I have a kicker, in the experience of many of you here, should I purchase a guard ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I was thinking they were more for debris than fishing lines so I had to look at a few of the "sales pitches" and several refer to them keeping your troller prop from damaging the boat cover over time...

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I'll see if my BIL knows, it was his boat when he put the 9.9 on. so fat no problem with electrolysis but It asn't been in the water much since the wife has been sick,

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
There a good reason why most Guide boats on the salt chuck have prop guards on there kickers .
Cheap insurance .
Nothing like being in a good rip tide with the wind blowing , 20 ft rollers trying up untangle down rigger cables .
Very good point! I once was skirting a large whirlpool, and just as I got above it, a long piece of cedar bark
wrapped around my prop. Some very intense moments while I lifted that motor leg up and untangled the
bark, getting the job done just in time. At least with a prop guard I could have had some thrust even with
the bark wrapped around that leg.

Top Bottom