Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Reading A Book.

Thread starter #2

Bow Walker

SGT MAJOR IN DUMBELDORE'S ARMY.
I like to read a wide variety of stuff, but mainly I stick to SF for my enjoyment.

I recently finished James A. Corey's trilogy called The Expanse....and now I have been following it on TV as it was made into a min-series.

Great stuff.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
When I was young I enjoyed reading westerns, but as I got older I began reading
history books about North American Indigenous peoples and the early explorers
and settlers. This led to me specifically concentrating on our North and Western part
of the Continent. Unfortunately there were only so many books written and I have
already read them, some several times. I have many of them in my library.
I rather enjoyed the fiction western books but turned to factual and documented stories.
A big exception is my complete collection of R M Patterson tales of his wilderness travels.
Although his stories were loosely based from his journals, he embellished them and
sometimes even made up parts of them. It worked because stirred the inner imagination
of many and he sold a lot of books. I would very much enjoy reading books like his rather
then books published by Grey Owl and Farley Mowat.

Last edited:
Thread starter #4

Bow Walker

I do enjoy "historical fiction" books. They are based on actual events and the authors flesh out their stories with fictional characters, but they stick to what actually happened back in the day.

Good reads - some of them.

KH4

KH4

When I was young I enjoyed reading westerns, but as I got older I began reading
history books about North American Indigenous peoples and the early explorers
and settlers.
Have you read the 'Nothing too Good for a Cowboy' series by Richmond P. Hobson?

Thread starter #7

Bow Walker

No one else clicking on the poll? :What?:

I did read westerns when I was younger too - got hooked by Louis Lamour and his tales of the Sackett Family.

I started reading Sci-Fi when I was in Jr. High School.... got kicked out of French class for the semester and had to make the time up in the school library - sorting, filing, and generally being useful.

My first SF read was called "The Rolling Stones" by Robert A Heinlein. Went on to read just about everything he published.

One of my fav sci-fi authors is Robert Sawyer. Canadian author and very well written to boot.

Andre Norton is another good author, along with Robert Silverberg, and so many others.

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Reading a book is a great way to relax and take your mind off things....

So what does everyone read?
Bow Walker;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well as we near the Canada Day weekend.

If I'm not reading something along the historical/biographical type of book, then it'll be the latest from John Barness, though I've got to say ordering books from the US is getting to be a costly hobby anymore.

Currently I'm working my way through Dr. Jordan B Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos". He's a clinical physiologist who grew up in Fairview, AB, so I can understand his language better than some other folks who write "heavier" stuff.

Anyway that's where I'm at this summer. I must admit I used to read way more up until I ended up finding this interweb thing a decade or so ago.....

All the best to you folks this summer sir.

Dwayne

robinhood

I like to read all different types of books, mysteries, action, historical stuff, biographies, and even the odd motivational or self improvement book. I rarely venture out into the woods without a novel, I find a good book enables me to sit still for twice as long as I could without something to read. I picked up this habit from when I was bow hunting more. I have been getting most of my reading material lately from those little neighborhood book stand / libraries on people's boulevards. These expose me to different material than I would intentionally seek out myself.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I'm easily bored, so the subject within a book has to really interest me or grab
and hold my attention throughout the book or I lose interest and put it down.
I've never brought along a book when in the outdoors.

Just finished the latest Jack Reacher book and moved to D-Day, the true stories of the days before, during and after June 6th. They were brave men and women back then......

I can get into a grove of reading a book a week, especially in the winter, and for me, it is a big de-stressor......have read all of Louis L'amour's books once or twice....or more, enjoy history/military and action/crime drama.

I have a book in my hunting pack and it is pulled out when ever I sit, especially in a ground blind.

Cheers

SS

Thread starter #15

Bow Walker

Ken - when you are reading those Jack Reacher stories, do you picture Jack as Tom Cruise ?

Dwayne - since I got my e-reader a few years ago, I have been downloading books from sites such as SMASHWORDS, where you can select from all types of genres. The cost of the books ranges from free right on up to "what's in your wallet?"

I've never taken a book out into the bush with me yet as I am more interested in what's going on around me than burying my nose in a book. That's not to say that it works for others - just not for me. No offense intended.

I get absorbed watching nature - an ever changing show.

Ed George

Good morning Dan,
You need a vote for historical fiction. I finished the Outlander series, 8 books wrapped around Scottish American history. I also read all of the "People of ..." books. They are written by a couple, both archeologists, sp. about north american native history. The latest read there was inuit and vikings. My current book is Fall of Giants, Ken Follett.
I am basically never without a book. Take the wife shopping, the dog and I stay in the vehicle. I read, the dog sleeps.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Anne Rule...... true stories from her police files ..... oregon/washington/BC crime stories

Marian Bradley...... historical fantasy/celtic lore

Historical biographies and autobiographies

I read alot......

Thread starter #24

Bow Walker

Facebook leads people to spread their entire private lives out for everyone to see.... and the lives of people around them. Younger users on FB don't see the danger in this. Just not my way.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Facebook leads people to spread their entire private lives out for everyone to see.... and the lives of people around them. Younger users on FB don't see the danger in this. Just not my way.
it has also been a way for me to reach out to over seas family and friends and to make contact with friends who for one reason or another we lost contact with one another ........ there is good and bad in all forms of social media................................even in forums

Thread starter #26

Bow Walker

The tendency (as I see it) with social media is to open one's self up to your "friends" and tell them or show them every little detail of your daily life. The problem with that is (again, as I see it) that anyone can join your circle of friends and get access to you and your daily life. Many, many dangers in that.

If the internet was a private place for everyone it would be different - but the level of security is nowhere near that at all.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I haven't read a book in a decade or more but I listen to audio books all the time because it takes my mind off all the time spent driving up to the cabin, or when I go fishing and hunting, when driving up to Kelowna to visit the kids/grandkids, and even around town. Even though my mind has been trained since I was a toddler to look for wildlife when I'm travelling I still like listening to a good novel while in the truck.

I'll go through one audio book a week when I head out on a 2-3 day fishing trip and sometimes 2 or 3 while on a hunting trip now that I've got Sako with me and have to spend more time in the vehicle road hunting. When I'm up at the cabin, every evening I'll go out to an area to scout it, and I'll listen to them then, too.

I like anything by John Grisham, the Mike Bennet (detective) character books by James Patterson, any of the books by John Sanford with the Lucas Davenport or Virgil Flowers character, any of the Jack Reacher Lee Child books and btw, the last person I would think of playing him in a movie is Tom Cruise since he's only 5'8" and Jack Reacher was 6' 5", weighs a 100 pounds more, and could two slices of bread on the palm of his hand. LOL That being said, I did like the both of the movies!

I liked all the C. B. Box stories (forget the name of his forest ranger character that solves crimes in the outback), love the character Vince Rapp (terrorist assassin) that Vince Flynn writes about, and the Mike Connelly characters Harry Botch and the Lincoln Lawyer.

Although I like any of the crime solving or lawyer cases a lot, I also liked the Hunger Games series and the Divergent series.

I'm so glad my buddy introduced me to audio novels,,,,they're the best things going!! No fear of falling asleep at the wheel now! Than goodness for city libraries,,,,they have tons of them.

Thread starter #28

Bow Walker

That's what we did on our drive across the country Brent..... Audio books. :Oh Yeah!:

Sure helped with the drive when we were not within any radio station's range. We had to buy ours rather than just borrowing them from the library.... but they sure came in handy!

gunseller

Long-Time Member
I go for history. I like explores, native Americans(my relitaves) and their view and up through the fur trade. That means about or just before 1850 is about as new as I want. I will make an exception for the Indian wars especially about Custor getting his.
Steve

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I go for history. I like explores, native Americans(my relitaves) and their view and up through the fur trade. That means about or just before 1850 is about as new as I want. I will make an exception for the Indian wars especially about Custor getting his.
Steve
My readings and books go back just about as far as writers could gather information about the
north half of North American Inhabitants, including those formally called Eskimos. I also have
several books, and have read others about the goings up into the 1950's.

SaskGooseHunter

Just because you can, Dosent mean you should......
I really enjoy the Douglas Preston/ Lincon Child Pentergast novels. Great read and keeps you turning the pages. They are a crime / mystery with a lot of action type book. The thing I really like about them is they use the same characters through out their books so you really get to know them lol . You might not read about a character and then 2 or 3 books later they are back

Ken - when you are reading those Jack Reacher stories, do you picture Jack as Tom Cruise ?

Hahaha.....the LAST guy I would have put in that position...…..

My wife and I have an ongoing discussion about Big Jack.....she thinks he is Black and The Rock should have been cast to play him and I think he is white and I think Dave Bautista should play him...
I would have settled for either or others who are big, anybody but Tom.

Cheers

SS

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I'd like to see David Bautista in that role.... I think Dwayne has enough money to last him a few lifetimes. :yeah, right:
He's definitely not black. I've listened to all of them and not once has there been any reference to him being black. That being said, one of the women that worked with him (Francis Neagley) when he was an MP in his old 110 Unit was.

I really can't think of anyone who's white, 6'5", and 250 pounds who would look right playing him but I think we're stuck with Tom in the role if they decide to make anymore movies about him.

He's definitely not black. I've listened to all of them and not once has there been any reference to him being black. That being said, one of the women that worked with him (Francis Neagley) when he was an MP in his old 110 Unit was.

I really can't think of anyone who's white, 6'5", and 250 pounds who would look right playing him but I think we're stuck with Tom in the role if they decide to make anymore movies about him.
But they don't say he is white either...….I have read them all and not one mentions he is either white or black. His dad was a ???? marine and his mom was french....and his brother was bigger.

Cheers

SS

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
But they don't say he is white either...….I have read them all and not one mentions he is either white or black. His dad was a ???? marine and his mom was french....and his brother was bigger.

Cheers

SS
Sitkaspruce;
Good evening to you, I hope that the Canada Day weekend has been treating you well thus far.

I did a quick wiki search on Dwayne Johnson and it says his father was a Canuck of all things - from Nova Scotia - and yes indeed is black. His mother is part Samoan, so like a lot of us Canucks, he's a bit of a mixture from all over!

Anyway sir, that's what I read and thought I'd pass it along.

Happy Canada Day to you and yours.

Dwayne

BC30cal

Long-Time Member

Cheers

SS
Sitkaspruce;
Good evening to you, I hope that the Canada Day weekend has been treating you well thus far.

I did a quick wiki search on Dwayne Johnson and it says his father was a Canuck of all things - from Nova Scotia - and his mother Samoan, so that's perhaps close enough to be Jack Reacher?

Honestly I can't believe that they let Tom Cruise play him, but that's the way it goes.

Happy Canada Day to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited:

mastercaster

This IS My Life

Cheers

SS
My personal opinion is if they don't specifically say a character is black, hispanic, Asian, native, etc. you should just assume he's white, especially if it's a white author.

Thread starter #39

Bow Walker

Anyone else read (or reading) "THE EXPANSE" by James A. Cory?

THE EXPANSE

It was a mini-series that aired for 3 seasons on the Space Chanel. the series was remarkably close to the books and so it was most enjoyable - very near as enjoyable as the books were.

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Local Vancouver Island story ...... far reaching.
'85 Grams: The Story of Art Williams - Drug Czar' ...... author, Daryl Ashby
Fascinating story .....
Any of you have a Williams re-curve bow ?

N

NAHMINT

Whatever I find interesting......
northAmerican history-South Africa-Australia....
Elmer Keith and some of the ''older gun writters
Tech.books /outboards I have/vehicles I have.
on bush trips of any length of time, ''cartridges of the WORLD''. is always in the truck.....

N

NAHMINT

those were some interesting times AND not so long ago......... guys taking worlds most dangerous game with flinters,then cap lockers ,B.P. doubles and singles sending 1/4 pound of lead down range.....most times as spitting distance......and now, the old ,303 BRIT is NOT fit for much more than island deer at 150 yards:What?: what say you Me.FOX?????????????

N

NAHMINT

I have always liked writing, used to do articles for ''the island fish finder '' in the 90s, wrote some fishing articles for a quebec outdoor magazine ''chasse et peche'' (hunting & fishing)... even started,several times, to write an autobiography.... some interesting adventures, some that can't be printed...(Too bad).some like how I ended up having a bar in south east IDAHO lol :I'm watchin you!::OH-OH::harumph: :Lips Are Sealed:
One thing I have found in life, NEVER WRITE ANYONE OFF ,ya never know what ''adventures they have been on.:Heh, heh, heh:

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Local Vancouver Island story ...... far reaching.
'85 Grams: The Story of Art Williams - Drug Czar' ...... author, Daryl Ashby
Fascinating story .....
Any of you have a Williams re-curve bow ?
interresting i had 3 williams bows...all came apart . my brother in law was good friends with art williams . then all of a sudden there was a midnight more from chamanous. in about 1967 .

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I like reading BC history. Grass beyond the mountains and the curve of time come to mind.

I don't read a lot though as I'm a bit dyslectic and I get frustrated reading the same line over and over.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom