Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Reading A Book.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
interresting i had 3 williams bows...all came apart . my brother in law was good friends with art williams . then all of a sudden there was a midnight more from chamanous. in about 1967 .
Your brother-in-law might be mentioned in the book ..... ?
Good photographs, many participants were interviewed, and you may be familiar with some of the locations on Mt. Brenton.
Art Williams broke the 100 year old record for the longest arrow flight with a bow.
The author put on a talk and slide show at the high school gym about a month ago. The place was full ....

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
those were some interesting times AND not so long ago......... guys taking worlds most dangerous game with flinters,then cap lockers ,B.P. doubles and singles sending 1/4 pound of lead down range.....most times as spitting distance......and now, the old ,303 BRIT is NOT fit for much more than island deer at 150 yards:What?: what say you Me.FOX?????????????
All I know is the old 303Br would never kill a big ol' Blackie at over 100 yds. with one shot Let alone a world record Yukon Moose.....Nope.... could never happen. small wink

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Reaction score
My favourite fiction genres are utopian/dystopian fiction and sci-fi. Classics like "Brave New World", "1984" and "Fahrenheit 451" are on my list of all-time faves.

Mostly I read non-fiction, though. Heidegger, Nietzsche, Jung, etc.

Right now I am reading Dr. Jordan B. Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos" - highly recommended!

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Any one who likes suspense/mysteries with a twist has to read Night Fall by Nelson DeMille, awesome read.

KH4

Reaction score
Right now I am reading Dr. Jordan B. Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos" - highly recommended!
I like those books too, hard to find ones that have relavent stuff to actually do. I found this one a good read and very relevant to today, I have to read it again, it's been two years...

The Joy of Missing Out: Finding Balance in a Wired World

N

NAHMINT

ISLAND GUY , JACK MOLD (spelling) commercial fisherman, did a lot of
''stuff'', supposed to have that gold mine up KNIGHT or KINGCOME INLET. was a bit of a con artist. wrote a couple books.......

N

NAHMINT

hey NOV,
Between several books written about him and the movies(think there were 2) the truth ,I think,lies somewhere in the middle....:Maybe: different times and a different breed of people,never to be seen again..... 14-15 years old and you were a man....AND better act like one too:No need to say more

MichelD

Reaction score
Three against the wilderness by Eric Collier.

I heard an interview later with his wife who said that some portions were um... creatively enhanced to satisfy the publisher's demand for some suspense and action, but still a great read. I loved it as a kid, particularly because he mentions using his Ross 303 and I was given one at 13 and still have it.

Last edited:

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
hey NOV,
Between several books written about him and the movies(think there were 2) the truth ,I think,lies somewhere in the middle....:Maybe: different times and a different breed of people,never to be seen again..... 14-15 years old and you were a man....AND better act like one too:No need to say more
Heard he was a Russian...guess we'll never know the truth...others say his wife was murdered by Police

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Reaction score

I heard an interview later with his wife who said that some portions were um... creatively enhanced to satisfy the publisher's demand for some suspense and action, but still a great read. I loved it as a kid, particularly because he mentions using his Ross 303 and I was given one at 13 and still have it.
My copy was signed ....."To Ruth Best Wishes God Bless you. ...... Lillian Collier" May 9 1979

N

NAHMINT

I heard an interview later with his wife who said that some portions were um... creativley enhanced to satisfy the publisher's demand for some suspense and action, but still a great read. I loved it as a kid, particulalry because he mentions using his Ross 303 and I was given one at 13 and still have it.
Like the part about your ROSS .303 ( M-10)?
My grandfather ''discarded '' his quebec made ROSS at YPRES ,picking up a Lee Enfield on NO MANS LAND.
I had a ROSS.303. Gave it to a fisherman in PORT Alberni...Last I heard ,he tried to shoot his wife and the Mounties took possession of it....

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
i liked R M Pattersons dangerous river, Rich Hobsons grass beyond the mountain lots of good book that came out of the caraboo.....Wyle Blanchard...curve of time. good read

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
The Hobson trilogy was awesome, I rode and packed a lot of that country, got to know Pan Philips in his latter years and attended his funeral in Quesnel in the spring of '83. Never seen so many "real" Stetsons in one place at one time. His daughter wrote a book that is worth a read. "Beyond The Home Ranch"

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Reaction score
The Hobson trilogy was awesome, I rode and packed a lot of that country, got to know Pan Philips in his latter years and attended his funeral in Quesnel in the spring of '83. Never seen so many "real" Stetsons in one place at one time. His daughter wrote a book that is worth a read. "Beyond The Home Ranch"
From what I hear they don't make 'em like Pan anymore, Jim. I guess with the "comforts" of today no one needs to be a tough as him and many of the Chilkoot cowboys anymore. Great reading though.

KH4

Reaction score
Was put onto this book after reading a 1961 Outdoor Life, good read! Was not shooting tigers for fun, but more as a wildlife CO. Super dangerous!

Written by this bloke:

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I was just handed two books by a coworker...one is called Fish and Game of British Columbia by Bryan Williams copy right 1935 and Trophy Deer of British Columbia 3rd edition by Rick Barreth copy right 2005

PortSide

Reaction score
If you even just liked the movie Master and Commander (Russell Crowe) the book series oft referred to as the Aubrey-Maturin Series (my 2nd reading of the series) set the basis of the movie. The reading blows the movie away. The history, the land and sea battles, exotic locations from deserts to tropics, shipwreck, survival and the stunningly accurate depictions of life aboard a man o war and in general the conditions of lands and people subject to Spanish, French, Portuguese, British "betterment" of mis-defined as primitive peoples will keep many a blustery day tolerable.

" Wikepedia: The Aubrey–Maturin series is a sequence of nautical historical novels—20 completed and one unfinished (Author's passing)—by Patrick O'Brian, set during the Napoleonic Wars and centering on the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey of the Royal Navy and his ship's surgeon Stephen Maturin, a physician, natural philosopher, and intelligence agent. "

Riverbc

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I read everyday. I go through books faster than tp roll. Read the Richmond Hobson Jr books and Pan phillip’s daughter’s book. Ralph Edwards is a good BC book. Think my favorite BC book, is Three Against The Wilderness, by Eric Collier.
I’ve read every Louis L’Amour book including the Hopalong Cassidy books, he wrote under a pen name.
Other authors that I’ve read all or most of their books and really enjoyed

Lee Child
David Baldacci
Tom Clancy
Vince Flynn
John Ringo
Simon Scarrow
Robert Ludlum
John Grisham
James Rollins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbc

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I’ll throw some of James Patterson’s books in there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck Naked

Reaction score
Lately it has been the Wilbur Smith books based around Egypt and the Nile in almost ancient
then more recent times is the Courteneys in Africa
Factual to a point, start of the shipping and spices trades , or depicting the early diamond mining, or the gold exploitation, or the hunting of course
'Assegai' was my intro to WSmith

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
James Calvell is one author that i have collected over the years.

I got hooked on him when I read "Shogun"

6852.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom