Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Recurve Broadhead Type?

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Long-Time Member
The lack of speed of a recurve would mean mechanicals are out, but I seem to remember reading something about lots of trad archers using two blade broadheads for better penetration (seems like they might not fly as well?)

I doubt I'll use my recuve for anything but grouse/bunnies this year (still getting my shoulder back up to snuff) but might take it for a walk late season, so it would be nice to get some broadheads just in case. I do have 100gr slicktricks for my compound, but there is something really appealing to me about a beefy two blade fixed broadhead.

I shoot a Martin Jaguar (50 lbs @ 24") and I have a couple of different broadheads that I use.

One is the tried and true Slick Trick - in 125 grain weight for more kinetic punch t those slower speeds.

497459.jpg

Another is the Magnus Stinger - again in the heavier 125 grain weight.

Magnus Pic 2.JPG

Another is one called the RazorCap - it has been out and in use for a lot longer than the G5 Montec blades and is longer in profile and also more skeletonized that the G5s....

RAZOR CAP 100.jpg

One last option is the Muzzy blades. Tough, tough blades - and replaceable too.

41KRRL7gS0L.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter #4

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Is that the same bow as mine?
Slick trick viper trick, and QAD exodus are the two I have for my compound.
Magnus stingers (and buzzcuts) I've been eyeballing for a while and what I was kind of thinking off picking up, glad to see I'm thinking along the right lines. I want to keep a different style of broadhead for my recurve if I'm running different weights so that I'm not mixing up and accidentally grabbing the wrong weight at a glance.

Last edited:
My apologies - the bow is a Martin Jaguar, not a PSE...... :Doh!:

Is yours a Martin Jaguar? It is an amazingly "inexpensive" bow to buy, but it sure is a rock solid platform from which to launch and arrow. :victorious:

Plus - it has the neat feature of being able to change out the limbs to either go up or down in poundage, making it a bow for anyone to shoot.

Last edited:
Thread starter #6

stevo911

Long-Time Member
My apologies - the bow is a Martin Jaguar, not a PSE...... :Doh!:

Is yours a Martin Jaguar? It is an amazingly "inexpensive" bow to buy, but it sure is a rock solid platform from which to launch and arrow. :victorious:

Plus - it has the neat feature of being able to change out the limbs to either go up or down in poundage, making it a bow for anyone to shoot.
Didn't even notice, mines a Martin Jaguar or Panther (from what I gather the differences are only really aestetic.

Yup - they're pretty much the dame bow.

I really like shooting mine - I find it easy to draw, hold, and release. There is very minimal hand vibration, making it a pleasure to shoot..... not like the longbow I first had. That thing was pretty jarring, right up the the elbow. Not a lot of fun after the first 20 or so shots.

One thing I find to be absolutely essential though, and that's an arm guard of some sort. Big difference in holding/shooting a compound bow to that of a traditional bow. It took me only a few string slaps to start wearing the arm guard.

I'm also pleased with the way in which it becomes easily instinctive to aim and hit your target. I'm not talking about the bullseye, but it is fairly easy to hit within a 12 inch circle at 20 yards with very little practice. Longer shots are still an adventure for me because I haven't practiced enough. I do/did dream of taking a deer with my recurve, though.....

Thread starter #12

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Thread starter #13

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I found a few packs of "used" (still sealed in package) ones for a price I couldn't resist, so I know what broadhead I'm going with now:

9650002-red-single-bevel_2.jpg

blacktail

Custom Knives and Game Calls
I have used a few.
Zwickey or Magnus 2 blade and even patriots with great success.
I have now gone to using carbon shafts and use muzzy 100 grain 3 blade.
Deadly

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
NICE.... :Here's To Ya:

being the obsessive/compulsive type that I am, I would make super sure that the tip is uber sharp and pointy...... small wink
I watched a video of Fred Bear rounding the point of his broad heads so the tip slips past bones instead of trying to plow through them :Shrug: makes a bit of sense

- - - Updated - - -

I found a few packs of "used" (still sealed in package) ones for a price I couldn't resist, so I know what broadhead I'm going with now:

View attachment 11939
Nice pick Stevo, I'm thinking of grabbing a few for my compound set up. :Oh Yeah!:

Interesting of Fred to round off the tips to make the arrow deflect off bone rather than try to break them....

Traditional bows don't generate that much KE, but they do have a lot of punch due to the weight of the arrow and the broadhead used. :Oh Yeah!:

Did you intend to post a pic Josh? Nothing came up on my end if you did.....

It's been my experience that any broadhead needs work "out of the box" They just aren't finished the way that they ought to be. I've bought a lot of different brands over the years and they all needed work to bring them up to snuff. But what-the-hey, that's half the fun of getting prepared.

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
Did you intend to post a pic Josh? Nothing came up on my end if you did.....

It's been my experience that any broadhead needs work "out of the box" They just aren't finished the way that they ought to be. I've bought a lot of different brands over the years and they all needed work to bring them up to snuff. But what-the-hey, that's half the fun of getting prepared.
No pic intended Dan, just meant the same heads that stevo had a picture of. The muzzy heads I've been using are ready right out of the box, although they are a replaceable blade.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom