Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

River Otter eating fish.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
Who's been following the news story about the river otter eating all the Koi fish?? I was watching him eat a fish and wondered what would happen if they televised seals eating salmon like that? Do you think people would support trapping seals and relocating them?

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
If you were to try and buy some of the larger and more exotic Koi fish you'd be shocked
at the price demanded...some are $1000's. I'll bet that Otter's dinners are more expensive
than those found in the most luxury hotels.
I'll bet seals eat millions of dollars worth of salmon every year....and I'd bet they taste better than those Koi.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well, it seems they've given up trying to trap it and are now trying to remove the Koi.
Not doing a great ob at that either as of this evening's news. Apparently there's only
4 left and they've captured one. Pretty sure that otter will dine on the rest before the
people can catch them. As I said earlier, I find it amusing.

KH4

Reaction score
My grandfather had a large pond with gold fish (300+ .99c feeder fish that grew to 12"+) and large koi. Once the herons from the adjacent golf course found the stocked pond, it was only a matter of time until he saw a heron with a bright orange gold fish sticking out of it's mouth. Next came elaborate netting over the pond. When he passed and my Grandmother sold the house, my Dad build a pond at his house and move some of the gold fish and all the koi. A couple of the koi were very large, probably in the 10lb range, 24".

Unfortunately, the koi were targets of raccoons and herons, usually injuring them instead of eating. My dad had to put a net in as well. It does sort of ruin the aesthetics of the pond.

I wish that he would have sold the koi, as they all passed, and we realized that a couple of them were easily worth $1500+, the predators probably killed over $5000 worth of fish. They are dumb, too conditioned, and not too quick.

Having a pond with fish is definitely a predator attractant, I'm surprised that this Chinese pond did not have issues earlier.

If always wanted a pond with fish, and have experimented with a whiskey barrel pond with fish. The water was an attractant for raccoons right off the bat. If I build one next year in my new garden, I have to make the sides straight down and at least 4 deep so the coons cannot reach over. But I doubt I'll put anything in beside mountain minnows, so I might just use a stock tank and have a small fountain that runs only during the day.

Anyways, pond = pain in the butt

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I have a water feature comprising of a small stream with 3 water falls and a pond about
2 1/2 ft deep x 4 ft x 3 ft with the edges covered with flat rock slabs that overhang the
pond walls. My wife put in gold fish and they survived for a long time even though coons
constantly were trying to get them and playing all over the stream wrecking havoc with the
stream stones and the electric lights behind each waterfall. We had to constantly juggle the
water chemistry to keep the algae at bay with fish save products which was very difficult during
the hot sunny summer so we gave up on the fish. Since not having fish we leave the water
system alone and it is just like a normal stream with birds dropping by to drink and bathe.
I did put a light electric fence around my back yard to keep the coons and neighbour's cats out
so I've no more problem with raccoon and cat vandalism or their poop.

gcreek

Beware of fat cooks and solictors for beer money!
Reaction score
I have a water feature comprising of a small stream with 3 water falls and a pond about
2 1/2 ft deep x 4 ft x 3 ft with the edges covered with flat rock slabs that overhang the
pond walls. My wife put in gold fish and they survived for a long time even though coons
constantly were trying to get them and playing all over the stream wrecking havoc with the
stream stones and the electric lights behind each waterfall. We had to constantly juggle the
water chemistry to keep the algae at bay with fish save products which was very difficult during
the hot sunny summer so we gave up on the fish. Since not having fish we leave the water
system alone and it is just like a normal stream with birds dropping by to drink and bathe.
I did put a light electric fence around my back yard to keep the coons and neighbour's cats out
so I've no more problem with raccoon and cat vandalism or their poop.
You have any critter cam videos of cats meeting Mr. Hydro? LOL

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
You have any critter cam videos of cats meeting Mr. Hydro? LOL
No, I have the fence cut down to low amps in case someone or my dog touches it. It's still got enough 'snap'
to deter the wild ones though. With our bedroom window open which overlooks the area I've heard the
occasional yelp though, he he he.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Reaction score
I actually spoke to Breanne today and Critter Care had been called first about the otter .....

She has been doing interviews all day about this story and a couple others that are in the news right now.....

People are idiots and really should learn bi-laws, trapping laws, animal cruelty laws, conservation, firearm regulations before taking matters of critter removal/catching/relocating/disposing into their own hands.

I could go on a complete rant right now in regards to a real “ass wipe” who needs a good head bashing but will keep myself in control..... but dip (**)s like him are the type that trip elderly ladies crossing the road and then cry “I didn’t see her” or “I don’t understand, I don’t speak English “

gcreek

Reaction score
I actually spoke to Breanne today and Critter Care had been called first about the otter .....

She has been doing interviews all day about this story and a couple others that are in the news right now.....

People are idiots and really should learn bi-laws, trapping laws, animal cruelty laws, conservation, firearm regulations before taking matters of critter removal/catching/relocating/disposing into their own hands.

I could go on a complete rant right now in regards to a real “ass wipe” who needs a good head bashing but will keep myself in control..... but dip (--)s like him are the type that trip elderly ladies crossing the road and then cry “I didn’t see her” or “I don’t understand, I don’t speak English “

?

Rieber

Always looking for a good deal on something
Reaction score
The Koi are an invassive species - the Otter is indigenous. The Otter must not be interfered with during his legal and fair hunt. Those who interfere with the Otter must be punished for their crimes. Let nature take it's course (fish).

gcreek

Reaction score
The Koi are an invassive species - the Otter is indigenous. The Otter must not be interfered with during his legal and fair hunt. Those who interfere with the Otter must be punished for their crimes. Let nature take it's course (fish).

Since the Koi are in a man made pond, they may be considered livestock. Livestock may be protected from wildlife. Too bad someone didn't just shoot the critter and save everyone the drama.

KH4

Reaction score
Imagine if otters were are historical population levels before almost being extirpated by fur trapping, they'd be everywhere around downtown.

KH4

Reaction score
Since the Koi are in a man made pond, they may be considered livestock. Livestock may be protected from wildlife. Too bad someone didn't just shoot the critter and save everyone the drama.
Or didn't make it a media story off the get go and set a conibear over night....check t early in the morning....

Rieber

Always looking for a good deal on something
Reaction score
Save the Otter. Hire a 24/7 Security Guard for the pond. I'm surprized that an animal rights society hasn't staged a sit-in to ensure no harm comes to the Otter. I'll bet that if the Otter was a Cannabis cruncher he would receive more respect and safe dining rights.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Oh Oh Oh, what to do, what to do? Do we protest to save the otter, or do we protest to save the fish?
Oh Oh Oh, what to do? Must be hard for many of those protest people, especially when so many have
so much time to think about where to protest next while they sit around collecting dole rather than work.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of stupid down here. To may who believe that animals have as many or more rights than people if an animal kill another to eat it is OK. But if a person kills an animal to eat it is wrong. I could go on about stupid but I believe everyone here understands. I will stop with go otter.
Steve

Buck Naked

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Breanne and Critter Care are getting dragged into the social media sh#+ storm

'social media sh#+ storm'.......that needs an acronym

To SS&S used to be enough, but to be proper another S for Stealth has to be applied. Pest management should not be public nor social

KH4

Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about the word 'humane' and what that means, and how it lately usually applies to the treatment of animals, but the essence of the word is 'human' and the fact that the definition is: having or showing compassion or benevolence.

That otter and carp have garnered more concern and attention than the hundreds of homeless humans living meters away from this garden, most were probably walked past and ignored like a piece of trash.

Society seems to demand 'humane' treatment of animals, but doesn't seem to get hot and bothered about the inhumane treatment of humans on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying animals should not be treated ethically, but when we start putting the treatment of other species above our own, I have to push back and wonder.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about the word 'humane' and what that means, and how it lately usually applies to the treatment of animals, but the essence of the word is 'human' and the fact that the definition is: having or showing compassion or benevolence.

That otter and carp have garnered more concern and attention than the hundreds of homeless humans living meters away from this garden, most were probably walked past and ignored like a piece of trash.

Society seems to demand 'humane' treatment of animals, but doesn't seem to get hot and bothered about the inhumane treatment of humans on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying animals should not be treated ethically, but when we start putting the treatment of other species above our own, I have to push back and wonder.
my thoughts too

Buck Naked

Reaction score
Had a 5 y.o. nephew ask me " if they just moved the Koi out for a while, would the otter go somewhere else?'

REMINGTON JIM

Rem M700 XCR 11 375 H&H Shooter
Reaction score
We have a lot of stupid down here. To may who believe that animals have as many or more rights than people if an animal kill another to eat it is OK. But if a person kills an animal to eat it is wrong. I could go on about stupid but I believe everyone here understands. I will stop with go otter.
Steve
Yea you do ! That little TRAMP Miley interferring with WOLF problems up here in Canada - YET people listen to her and others like her and yet THEY know nothing of the problem ! its all about being POPULAR and making Money ! I 'd LIKE to Kick her teeth down and out her :Really Mad: A hole ! :grumpy: RJ

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
When the dip sticks that can not tie their own shoes get to run their mouths before our Congress about something that they have not a clue about but they get to because they are famous I have to have several adult drinks. Some of our Congress people will walk out when these people show up to run their mouths. I like to vote to keep the ones that walk out in office.
Steve

Top Bottom