Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Saskgoosehunter's 2018 Trophy Elk Hunt

Thread starter #1

SaskGooseHunter

Just because you can, Dosent mean you should......
Well as you all know I won the lotto this year and drew a Trophy Elk tag in Zone 2E. Betting Westerday would have liked to put his name on my application too now. With that said he will be just as important in this hunt as drawing the tag and for that I thank him very much. He is a great guy and very hospitable. Any success I have on this hunt I will owe to him. Now the odds of drawing this tag are very slim with only 25 tags and over 4000 people applying for those tags well lets just say its a good thing I am lucky.
Now that I got drawn I was able to put in for my holidays and as luck would have it I was granted them today. Well for the early season at least. The other good thing is that I can also buy myself a resident archery mule deer tag for the same time as the early elk season. So two birds one stone. Cant wait to get down there and visit with old westerday and maby even find a elk.
To be continued..................

Congratulations again Corey... :Hi:

I wish you great luck on your hunt....I know you will be well looked after by Wes (as long as you keep the sloppy joes coming) and he will definitely help you in the field dressing department too.

We are all expecting a great write-up and photos, whether you score or not. :Oh Yeah!:

Thread starter #9

SaskGooseHunter

Well as the days get shorter so does my wait to start chasing elk and mules in sitting Bulls territory. I can't but help looking at Westerdays photos and him teasing me with emails of the elk he's been seeing.
Can't wait to chase a few mules also with the new bow tech Carbon Icon I bought last yrs.
It's getting harder and harder to sleep at night lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hookset

Well as the days get shorter so does my wait to start chasing elk and mules in sitting Bulls territory. I can't but help looking at Westerdays photos and him teasing me with emails of the elk he's been seeing.
Can't wait to chase a few mules also with the new bow tech Carbon Icon I bought last yrs.
It's getting harder and harder to sleep at night lol.

Hahah this is the worse time cause the seasons are so close so you are wanting to get out looking and once you get scouting you just want to start hunting haha

Thread starter #12

SaskGooseHunter

What Is your departure date? Best of luck on your hunt. I'm sure many great memories will be made there.
Sept 19 I plan on heading down to hunt. Going to try and get out on the 15 for a day and scout . Might luck out and come across a shooter and be done before the hunt starts lol

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
I have been off work for the last 2 days. I had hoped to get out for a tour and see if I could find where the elk are right now. Unfortunately it's been raining for both of those days and we now have nearly an inch, so getting into the area I want to be in will be near impossible unless you're on a horse.
I am gonna try to get days off so I can go with Cory on opening day. It has been hotter than hell here and I know an area with lots of poplar and 3 creeks running through it, that is totally surrounded by Nat'l Park, it should be cool in the poplars. There is also a waterhole just outside of the park..and 3 spots that are always wet that could be used as wallows.
I use to hunt the area long before it became a park, and it would be my choice to start there after the hot weather we have had. Each square on the map is one half mile by one half.
If the elk are in the area they should be able to be coaxed out of the park with a call because not many hunters know how to get into this area and very few hunters ever call elk here in the early season, they wait for the late season and hunt food sources and the leaves are off of the trees making it easier to spot them.

thumbnail_Photo0270.jpg

Last edited:

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
With a small search I have found that there has been 1 good bull spotted 2 miles from where I wanted to start the search, and the fella that said he seen it knows big elk. And he even told me where....:Oh Yeah!:
We are off to a good start and I was right in the ball park with where I wanted to start cuz 2 miles is nothing for an elk to travel. I have a very good idea where they are bedding now but it's a rough area. But then again Corey is young and ambitious and can get in there.......small wink.....BUT is one day gonna be enough since he has to work and can't swing more time ? And hopefully I can swing opening day to help him.

Thread starter #22

SaskGooseHunter

Only 9 more sleeps. Getting a little bit excited. Went to the huderites on Tuesday to pick up my chickens and they had 5 elk brought in that day. Got my blood pumping. Can't wait to get out a look for some Bulls. All I hear and see at night are elk. Hard to close my eyes. Oh and the odd giant mule. Bought my tags last night. $110 for the Elk and archery mules tag.
Hope I can cut one opening day

You should say "only 9 more lay awakes" instead Corey..... :Doh!:

The excitement and anticipation kinda makes your sphincter clench up and kiss your belly button I bet..... :Yikes!: :Yee Ha:

Goose just got a minute to join forum.
Thanks for the invitation last week.
Have been off the hunting for a bit.
My wife has been fight chemo every three weeks and now brain radiation on her brain For past two years.
Hope you luck on your hunt.
Have a video for you to get hyped from our bale yard last winter
Good luck and take care.

Which zone is for either sex elk zone 29 or 7
Both are good zones. Lot easier to get permission in zone 29.
Know a lot of ranchers throught the cattle industry in saskatchewan. Heard lots of stories of big mules or elk from down south.

Hookset

Which zone is for either sex elk zone 29 or 7
Both are good zones. Lot easier to get permission in zone 29.
Know a lot of ranchers throught the cattle industry in saskatchewan. Heard lots of stories of big mules or elk from down south.
Both are either sex. I’m from rosetown so permission in 29w isn’t to hard to get and when I was down in cypress I was able to get permission everywhere I asked. The landowners there were incredibly friendly. I was unsure how much permission I would get in cypress not being a local and hearing some stories but so far I have had no problems

Both are either sex. I’m from rosetown so permission in 29w isn’t to hard to get and when I was down in cypress I was able to get permission everywhere I asked. The landowners there were incredibly friendly. I was unsure how much permission I would get in cypress not being a local and hearing some stories but so far I have had no problems
Wow I ran a farm equipment dealership in Rosetown. A while back. You live in a great community. Lots of hunting opportunity. My boys use to laugh at the mule deer in town by the swimming pool when they use to go swimming after supper.

Hookset

Wow I ran a farm equipment dealership in Rosetown. A while back. You live in a great community. Lots of hunting opportunity. My boys use to laugh at the mule deer in town by the swimming pool when they use to go swimming after supper.
Haha We still have a bunch of town deer and occasionally the nice buck wonders through town. A couple weeks ago I was parked in my truck practicing my cow elk call when I looked up and I saw a doe running directly to my vehicle haha she wasn’t very smart she stopped about 10 yards in front of my truck and stared at me trying to figure out what I was I guess haha

Thread starter #39

SaskGooseHunter

one more sleep till you drive then another sleep till the big bang.
Go get him champ
Hope you still shoot that 7 mm STW
Like a sniper. Love that STW. Only problem with it is getting hard to find brass.
Thanks for the good vibes. Hope it works out

Thread starter #46

SaskGooseHunter

Well looked at a lot of big country today. Seen a lot of other hunters and 4 elk. Been really windy down here so elk weren't moving much. However seen some crackers that got shot today.
Then there was the big bull that I seen that myself and Wes thought was about 400 yrds so Wes told me put it on the top of his back. BANG............... rears up and bolts forward about 100yrd. I run up and let another one go. Miss........
Turns out I just gave him a hair cut. No blood.
Going to be having nightmares tonight.

Top Bottom