Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Solar power...

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I've taken this from a posting on facebook....I'm not trying to get a racist thread going, I take my hat
off to any of the Indigenous community that can move forward in a constructive manner to be more
self sufficient.
Tŝilhqot’in Nation opens largest solar farm of its kind in B.C.
Oct 21, 2019

WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — The Tŝilhqot’in Nation has opened the largest solar farm of its kind in the province.

According to a news release from the Tŝilhqot’in National Government, the facility lies on two hectares of land at the Riverwest Sawmill, about 80 kilometres west of Williams Lake.

The 1.25 MW solar farm consists of 3,456 modules that generate electricity to sell to BC Hydro.

Tŝilhqot’in officials held an official opening for the facility last Friday (Oct. 18), but say full operation will begin shortly when the final connection is made to the power line that runs along Highway 20.
What makes me wonder though is where they get the money to finance such an expensive project
unless it's from the tax money the Federal government doles out to them from the rest of Canada.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Maybe they get their money from multiple sources. Hard to say for sure since I doubt transparency is going to be "transparent" lol. I would say a big chunk of taxes and maybe some from hydro because they will buy it back from the natives to resell to us. Good on them for starting their own stuff. That's what they need to do like anyone else, more and more of them in western Canada show motivation for self sufficiency

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
There is a part of the "Indian" nation out here (on Scotchfort Reserve) that have installed multiple huge panels for gathering solar energy. I applaud them. They are supplying energy to almost the whole reserve by doing this and as such are pretty much off the grid.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I do believe we all know where the money comes from. Natives do not have that kind of coin.
Oh I'm sure that they raised the capital by making a deal with Hydro and the Government as Nov suggests.
What concerns me is how much we're paying for it over and above the millions and millions our government
hands over to the Indigenous each year already. On other such projects, 'the run by the river' hydro systems
as an example, private enterprise footed the finances, not us with our taxes. Either way we end up buying the
hydro at higher costs because of the middle man via 'private enterprise' rather than having the government
hydro company do it themselves as was done in years past.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Most small successful companies/businesses in canada got started with ZERO DOLLARS from ''ottawa'' or ''VICTORIA'' here in B.C.
and you don't see any write-ups in the news about them.....
My own business and my daughter/son in law included.....only connection with govt.= PAY TAXES !!!!!!:Really Mad::hopelessness::No need to say more

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I've taken this from a posting on facebook....I'm not trying to get a racist thread going, I take my hat
off to any of the Indigenous community that can move forward in a constructive manner to be more
self sufficient.
Tŝilhqot’in Nation opens largest solar farm of its kind in B.C.
Oct 21, 2019

WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — The Tŝilhqot’in Nation has opened the largest solar farm of its kind in the province.

According to a news release from the Tŝilhqot’in National Government, the facility lies on two hectares of land at the Riverwest Sawmill, about 80 kilometres west of Williams Lake.

The 1.25 MW solar farm consists of 3,456 modules that generate electricity to sell to BC Hydro.

Tŝilhqot’in officials held an official opening for the facility last Friday (Oct. 18), but say full operation will begin shortly when the final connection is made to the power line that runs along Highway 20.
What makes me wonder though is where they get the money to finance such an expensive project
unless it's from the tax money the Federal government doles out to them from the rest of Canada.
There are multiple ways they could have swung this deal. Heck, maybe the natives didn't pay a dime for this project, they could have just supplied the land and manpower and hydro could have agreed to install the equipment, there are a million ways they could have come up with this project. Hard to say. What matters most to me is this project to succeed for two reasons, if this works more projects if this sort can be started up, and I'd like to see the natives succeed and start to dispel the typical "Indian" perception that many non-natives have for them.

robert5

Reaction score
Mill went broke, govt. bought mill and gave to Indians, Indians went broke a couple more time and received a few grants to do so. Govt. foot the bill for solar farm construction. Indians sell power to us.

We paid for this project a few times over...….
Dave you know it is the same thing that happened here, tons of gov money poured it this mill and pissed done the drain,no proper business management skills or wanting too.

Bob

Top Bottom