Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Some people are obsessed with trying to tell others how to live...

Thread starter #1

Big Lew

This IS My Life
When I was a little boy I remember our government advising, even trying to dictate what and how much we should eat and drink. Most people thought those guidelines were un-realistic at the time. Now they’re at it again, only this time they’re doing an about face and trying to encourage or direct us not to eat meat or dairy products. Humans were designed to eat meat, so if I wish to eat meat no self righteous yuppie leaf chewer is going to tell me what I can or can’t do.

Thread starter #3

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Is this the add where they say more home cooked meals? Make it sound like its something from the past. I'm sure veggie wraps and jolt are better for the system.. Gave up on the gubbermint's version of a diet when they said peanut butter wasn't good for you!!
The same government that’s promoting the eating of less meat and dairy products is the one making marijuana legal...I’ll Make my own decisions without blindly following what they think I should do

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Durning our last administration they dictated what and how much schools could feed kids. High School athletes were starving. My son would come home and eat meal and later have dinner. Don't forget a few years ago just looking at eggs would kill you. Now they recommend 2 eggs a day for low cost safe protein. I don't think some of these dip sticks that think they are in charge could pee if they were not told when to go.
Steve

KH4

My biggest sticking point was the lack of milk. There is nothing unhealthy about drinking milk, it's basically fortified water. Milk also have Vitamin D which is important for folks living in northern climes as we do not get enough sunshine to generate it ourselves. Whole milk is an important source of calcium and fat for kids developing bones (you need fats to absorb Vitamin D). I'd like to see parent substitute milk for spinach to get their calcium and vitamin D into kids, good luck. Now, I think it was removed due to 'climate' reasons and not health, which is not the mandate of Health Canada to dictate what 'climate' friendly foods we should eat.

Healthy food is not a mystery, most unhealthy looking folks I see in the grocery store have their cart full of processed foods in boxes, mostly from the frozen section, bags of chips, lots of pop, and no fresh fruit or veg. It's not wonder they look like living weeble wobbles.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Durning our last administration they dictated what and how much schools could feed kids. High School athletes were starving. My son would come home and eat meal and later have dinner. Don't forget a few years ago just looking at eggs would kill you. Now they recommend 2 eggs a day for low cost safe protein. I don't think some of these dip sticks that think they are in charge could pee if they were not told when to go.
Steve
I agree, it's nothing more than social engineering pushing some dip sticks agenda. The whole global warming thing is pushing to eliminate beef / meat from our diets to save the planet and that is where this is headed. Next will be a special meat tax.

Iron Glove

Once we become Green, small wink we won't need oil or beef - ya wanna bet that Alberta will go back to being a "have not" Province in a hurry?
My philosophy re the recommended new diet is I'm a vegetarian already - cows are vegetarians, I eat cows. Ergo, following the "you are what you eat mantra", I am a vegetarian. Realistically, the new diet recs are probably a reasonable step towards better health but I need my beef so any personal changes will be small and slow.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
I rarely eat beef as we always have a healthy supply of moose/elk and deer meat to chose from. Looking at the store prices of beef I just don't know how the average family can even afford to buy it, quite often it would be cheaper for them to eat out than it would be to cook up a roast with all the fixings.

Thread starter #10

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I rarely eat beef as we always have a healthy supply of moose/elk and deer meat to chose from. Looking at the store prices of beef I just don't know how the average family can even afford to buy it, quite often it would be cheaper for them to eat out than it would be to cook up a roast with all the fixings.
For 90% of my adult life I never bought beef and rarely bought any other meat except chicken and turkey.
My kids were raised on venisons, wild birds, and fish I caught. It's only been the last couple of years that
I haven't had enough wild meats to last through a year. I still don't buy beef roasts etc as I find beef too
greasy....I will buy extra lean hamburger though.

olympia

Long-Time Member
I have pondered the same thing CS when it comes to the price of beef, after buying it and spending time preparing and cranking on the oven, some feel they might as well have gone out and eaten.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Just had a nice prime rib dinner on Sunday, 6 adults 2 kids, plus sandwiches for 2 lunches. $28 on sale at Wally's World, easy $200 at the Keg.
I'm not comparing beef at home versus same cut at a restaurant. I'm talking a $28 steak and the $3 in electricity cost vs a $16 beef dip at red Robins. My statement was towards people who can't buy a $28 steak...thanks alot...now I'm thinking about beef dip, that sauce is sooooo good

When I was a little boy I remember our government advising, even trying to dictate what and how much we should eat and drink. Most people thought those guidelines were un-realistic at the time. Now they’re at it again, only this time they’re doing an about face and trying to encourage or direct us not to eat meat or dairy products. Humans were designed to eat meat, so if I wish to eat meat no self righteous yuppie leaf chewer is going to tell me what I can or can’t do.
When I'm told not to eat meat I reply by asking why we have 4 canine teeth. Certainly not just to eat my carrots and potatoes.

I EAT MEAT,i like eggs and bacon,i like beer on occasion. and i like women!!!! and i eat peanut butter thank you.
i don't steal,i don't do drugs and have a canadian passport.....
PIZZ on the Feds.......lib or pc.... i was brought up old school-i was brought up right.i respect old folks and women....regardless of colour ,or race....(Some of the worse chicken shyte lying no-good dogs i ever knew were white guys (i.e.turdhole-blair) ):harumph::OH-OH:...but i was instructed never to be afraid of speaking the truth !!!

Last edited:
If you care about the planet, eat more beef

Effective immediately, I have vowed to double my beef consumption and I’m doing it to save the planet.

It seems curious timing, doesn’t it, that the week that the British medical journal The Lancet came out with the recommendation to reduce our beef consumption by 90 per cent, that the new Canada Food Guide would mirror the recommendations by saying we need to reduce our consumption of red meat and sugar. Really? Are we to believe that eating meat is as bad for you as eating Halloween candy?

Having watched the environmental movement for a long time, I don’t believe in coincidences. Researcher Vivian Krause discovered a co-ordinated attack on our farmed fish industry funded by U.S. interests funnelling money to Canadian environmental groups. She then exposed a co-ordinated attack on our Alberta oil industry funded by U.S. foundations funnelling money to Canadian environmental groups. I want to know who is funding this attack on our beef industry. Whoever it is, the industry needs to fight back.

Not only do I think these “expert” recommendations are dangerous to our health, I also think the loss of our cattle industry would be devastating to our environment.

First, I have a vegan brother so I know that getting the full complement of amino acids from plant proteins takes some work. There are nine amino acids that the body can’t produce itself. To be considered a complete protein, the food has to have all of them. Meat, eggs and dairy are all complete proteins. My brother eats a lot of hemp seeds, quinoa and soy which are also complete proteins. Beans and peas aren’t; they have to be combined with rice to get all you need. If people simply reduce their consumption of meat, without knowing how to get enough whole plant proteins, they aren’t going to be healthier. They are going to get sick.

Second, I also happened to be at a conference of grassland management experts for two days this week, moderating the annual conference of the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldmen. These are the folks who ensure Alberta remains rat free and noxious weed free. They know more than anyone about managing rangelands for biodiversity, wetlands and soil health.
One of the experts who spoke at the AAAF conference was Yamily Zavala, who is a crop and soil nutrient management expert with the Chinook Applied Research Association, which incidentally doesn’t get government funding. I suppose if she were working on computer models predicting catastrophe rather than doing applied research on carbon sequestration, it would probably be a different story.

In any case, her research has found a symbiotic relationship between planting a complementary variety of plant species, bacteria and fungi, which work together to sequester carbon in the soil through a number of complex biological and chemical processes. New research from the University of California also recently concluded that grasslands are an even better and more resilient carbon storage option than trees.

AAAF passed a resolution to request that Alberta Agriculture and Forestry develop a process to allow farmers and landowners to access carbon credits for land used for permanent pasture, perennial forage or land that is left forested. They presented research that these lands can sequester as much as nine tonnes of carbon per acre. If producers were paid the going rate of $30 a tonne for their sequestration efforts, that would be $270 an acre. On a 1,000-acre ranch, that would amount to $270,000.

If our food producers are capturing and permanently storing this much carbon, then they darn well should be getting paid for it.

I shudder to think what would happen if, at the next UN meeting in Paris or Marrakech or Katowice, our federal government bends to the will of environmental zealots and signs a new protocol to reduce our cattle herds to 90 per cent below 2005 levels by 2050.
Imagine what would happen if we did that. What would become of those carefully managed grasslands? They would very quickly become an overgrown fire hazard, and we’d end up with out-of-control grassland fires burning all over the prairies, releasing carbon dioxide as they incinerated.

Let’s just stop this insanity right now. If you care about your health and the planet, you should eat more beef.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/smith-if-you-care-about-the-planet-eat-more-beef

BEEF DIP, SOMEONE HAD TO MENTION ''BEEF DIP'' now my head ache REAlly hurts.........must have been the salt water i drank last night.....GEEZ the ocean was cold !!!!!!!
beef dip.......garlic bread,, gooooood !!!!!

some years back when the GOUT was killing me, i tried a non meat diet .into the second week,i was really feeling ''ill''.
ate meat and mashed potatoes for several
days and felt much better.......now,10+years later with my pills that keep my URIC acid Levels in check, i eat all the meat i want....i do eat broccoli and spinach,,because i like them....A salad a couple times a week.....(With my steaks or roasts). a varied diet,but meat for sure...

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
I was brought up having a father who turned to meat cutting after the war. So by the time I had teeth there was meat at every meal. Back then there were no vegetarians and 'vegans' were few and far between.

Today it is more a social status symbol than anything meaningful. Just my opinion, but I don't think I'm in the minority.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
I had a professor in grad school that said he was vegaterion. He also said he could have some meat every day as long as it was only a little. I agree for many it is a show not a fact.
Steve

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
A very, very small percentage of people might find it very hard to digest meat - but that's biological and not a conscious choice.

For those it's a matter of health and not making a statement.

But I'd bet that they keep eyeing up their dinner companion's steak..... :Black Eye:

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
My wife hates vegetables, and rarely eats any. Maybe some carrots in a stew or some corn. But that's it. I have to bring in a good supply of wild meat every season or face her wrath!! And she makes me veggies to have with all my dinners.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Now if you were home and a Chinese Food Fan we could do lunch with Vette Man next week But alas not sure aabout meat, pototos and salt lol

Top Bottom