Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Spot Messenger price increase again

Thread starter #1

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
I carry a spot messenger around in my pack when I'm out and bout. I rarely use It - maybe 10 times last year I sent waypoints. My first payment was in 2012. I like it and think its good to have for when in remote areas incase of emergency.
Just got an email about a price increase again. Recently every year it has been going up.

Heres the prices- all in US dollars:

2012- $99
2013- $99
2014- $99
2015- $99
2016- $160
2017- $165

2018- $190.

So now its about $230 Canadian a year. About $20 a month.

What type of things do you guys use, has the prices went up yearly as well?
-email shows "We are continuously making network upgrades to ensure the best possible service for our SPOT customers. To help fund these efforts now and in the future, upon renewal a Network Maintenance Fee will be implemented on all SPOT subscriptions"

Slinky Pickle

Long-Time Member
I canceled my SPOT subscription 2 years ago and had planned to pick up a Garmin InReach last year. For various reasons I didn't get around to it but I fully intend to do so this year. Better service, two way communication and the ability to subscribe to only the months you want.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
I have the inreach sans garmin. The initial investment is worth it IMO. The ability to select different plans, and to be able to suspend service for those months you don't use it is great. Very affordable service. I can pair it with my IPhone and text anyone including other inreach users just like texting anyone using your phone. I will be activating my service shortly as I will be Bear and turkey hunting and just cruising around in the RZR.
Never without the ability to seek help when I am out there. For me, that's a definite requirement. When you can just text home or your family just because you want to when you want and say what you want, from where ever you want- that is awesome.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I also have a spot but I haven't renewed it's contract now ever since they almost doubled their fees.
Other than experimenting with it, I've used it so that my wife and daughter can track me as I make
my way in the outback. Health issues have kept me closer to home lately so I just couldn't see the
point of paying for something I seldom use. Were I able to go further afield again (which looks promising)
I might consider the 'Inreach' system as it includes the ability to text messages when afield. Having that
would have sure helped me when I lost my keys in the middle of the Chilcotin Plateau...the Spot wasn't
of any use because it wasn't enough of an emergency to activate the 'help' button.

Thread starter #6

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
I have not looked into the spot inreach prices monthly for when your subscribing and the other fees for cancelling etc. I think the spot messenger is still the cheapest "emergency" gadget they offer, Not sure if the inreach prices are going up or not.

Vic

I cancelled my Spot late 2016 and then received an offer to renew in 2017 for $50US which I did. Thanks for the reminder as its time to cancel again

I have not looked into the spot inreach prices monthly for when your subscribing and the other fees for cancelling etc. I think the spot messenger is still the cheapest "emergency" gadget they offer, Not sure if the inreach prices are going up or not.
Ian

I use my Inreach Sept-Nov and pay the $30+ a month with no text messages, then I pay the $3/month for the months I don't use it. The switch happens within a day of you changing your plan with no fees. It comes to $120 a year Canadian. And it works with your smart phone as the base for sending text and looking at maps. I switched a couple years back and have never looked back.

Cheers

SS

vetteman

I carry a spot messenger around in my pack when I'm out and bout. I rarely use It - maybe 10 times last year I sent waypoints. My first payment was in 2012. I like it and think its good to have for when in remote areas incase of emergency.
Just got an email about a price increase again. Recently every year it has been going up.

Heres the prices- all in US dollars:

2012- $99
2013- $99
2014- $99
2015- $99
2016- $160
2017- $165

2018- $190.

So now its about $230 Canadian a year. About $20 a month.

What type of things do you guys use, has the prices went up yearly as well?
-email shows "We are continuously making network upgrades to ensure the best possible service for our SPOT customers. To help fund these efforts now and in the future, upon renewal a Network Maintenance Fee will be implemented on all SPOT subscriptions"
Just give SPOT a call and ask for a price reduction. I've done this three years in a row and they've never hesitated for a second. Last year was the best when they gave it to me for $79.99US. I refuse to pay their going rates as their service just isn't worth what they're asking. The call takes 5 minutes. I'm due to have my yearly chat with them pretty soon.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I got the garmin InReach Mini, super handy and IMO a much better value if you're going to use it for a few years. small, great battery life, pairs with your smartphone for more features.

Top Bottom