Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Spring Salmon hatchery...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:9)

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Not sure where to place this thread as it involves both fresh water and salt water Springs.
I don't know if many members have ever spent much time above the head of Harrison Lake,
specifically north of Fort Douglas and around the Skookumchuck Reserves, but there are large
flats along the upper river where I would imagine massive fish hatcheries could be established
similar to but much larger than the Weaver Creek hatchery. Building such hatcheries in those
locations would be extremely beneficial to the Indigenous communities all along the Fraser and
Harrison river systems while at the same time greatly enhancing Spring Salmon stocks that are
currently in trouble which also would provide ongoing commercial and sports fishing opportunities
for everyone down stream and out into the salt waters.. It could be done in a manner like the
hatcheries by Lillooet with the local bands directly involved. All it would take is a commitment from
both governments and the Indigenous communities to work together...a pipe dream I suppose, but
I firmly believe it would work.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Yesterday as I was sitting in the small CT scan waiting room in Abbotsford I got to talking
with an Indigenous woman formerly from Skookumchuck Reserve 2 north of the head of
Harrison Lake. She had relatives, including her father that were chiefs in various reserves
between D'Arcy, Lillooet, and Fort Douglas. I told her about my query as to why they hadn't
been able to go in partnership with the DOF in putting an artificial spawning ground system
in alongside the Lillooet river flowing into Harrison Lake similar to the one their Band has by
the town of Lillooet. She said she has never heard anyone discussing such an undertaking, but
she agreed that it sounded very feasible and she was most certainly going to ask the next time
she goes home to see her folks. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. We had
quite a good chat about a lot of things, especially from years past. She was obviously well
educated and worldly in her knowledge.

Top Bottom