Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Technology is happening so fast!

Thread starter #1

Big Lew

This IS My Life
It seems only a short while ago that we as teens were glad to get any vehicle we could. It didn't matter if there were many things
wrong with it...poor brakes, slipping clutch, no parking brake, bald or mismatching tires, damaged or not working windshield wipers,
cracked windows, burnt out headlight...heck even doors that didn't open or close properly and manual windows having to be pushed
or pulled into position. We quickly learned how to either fix or deal with these issues. Well, on today's news they were giving parents
advice on what type of vehicle to get for the modern youth. I just shook my head at the changes and expectations of today. It should
have automatic braking, VDC, ABS, lane changing alerts, back up camera, be capable of hands free communication, and preferably be
either an automatically on demand AWD or 4WD. Only be a few more years when that expectation will be what colour of fully autonomous
vehicle best suits them. Man does it make me feel old...and happy that I lived my youth when I did.

CF8889

Long-Time Member
Although I am terrible with technology, I have a huge facisnation with what is happening in the tech world. With things like quantum computing, deep learning, block chain, Artificial General Intelligence.... We truly are entering a new era of humanity. Weird to think, but many believe we could be living as the last of the "humans", a new step in evolution will be added as we fade away like those steps before us. "The singularity" is an interesting concept, for anyone wanting to go down that rabbit hole haha.

Hover cars, and Y2K, say otherwise... But still interesting when some of the smartest people alive, are warning of what could come within our lifetime.

Thread starter #4

Big Lew

This IS My Life
"warning of what could come within our lifetime." Truer words than most realize
even for an oldster like me. What I can't understand is where the future 'brains' will come from
as our children rely more and more on computers for just about all aspects of their lives. Will it
be that the actual computers will develop into artificial thinking and problem solving inventors
themselves and we will be pushed aside and eventually become extinct as you suggest some
intellects are warning of?

gunseller

Long-Time Member
People born 100 years ago went from horse and buggy to cars to air planes to men on the moon. Is the changes going on now any more extream? Try to find a manual translation truck without getting a 1 1/2 ton or bigger and even those are getting harder to find.
Steve

CF8889

Long-Time Member
People born 100 years ago went from horse and buggy to cars to air planes to men on the moon. Is the changes going on now any more extream?
simple answer... Yes.

A.I in itself could alter the world in a way we can't even comprehend. It's wild to think that right now, some of the smartest people on earth are spending insane amounts of money and time, racing towards creating a "super-god" we will have no ability to control.

olympia

Long-Time Member
simple answer... Yes.

A.I in itself could alter the world in a way we can't even comprehend. It's wild to think that right now, some of the smartest people on earth are spending insane amounts of money and time, racing towards creating a "super-god" we will have no ability to control.
Maybe that is the "devil" someone has warned us about.

Bow Walker

SGT MAJOR IN DUMBELDORE'S ARMY.
I was born in '48 and even from then to now the changes have been almost overwhelming.
I remember the first color tv that came into our neighborhood, I used to pause in my paper route just to watch from the sidewalk for a while.
I remember the first automatic transmission cars coming out (1940) and being driven in our neck of the woods.
I remember when there were only two channels on our black n white tv - CBC and if you were lucky - Komo from Seattle.

Imagine a man from the early or late 40's being suddenly transported to the here and now? Imagine the mind boggling things that he would see/experience - and that's just in one generation.

olympia

Long-Time Member
I was born in '48 and even from then to now the changes have been almost overwhelming.
I remember the first color tv that came into our neighborhood, I used to pause in my paper route just to watch from the sidewalk for a while.
I remember the first automatic transmission cars coming out (1940) and being driven in our neck of the woods.
I remember when there were only two channels on our black n white tv - CBC and if you were lucky - Komo from Seattle.

Imagine a man from the early or late 40's being suddenly transported to the here and now? Imagine the mind boggling things that he would see/experience - and that's just in one generation.
Yes BW, you are right. Imagine showing someone from the past a microwave which magically warms food or even a mobile device which enables you call, text, surf the net or check on your security cameras from home. It would just blow his mind lol

simple answer... Yes.

The first order of business is to use AI to eliminate jobs [business expenses] in order to maximize profits...that is why we keep hearing about governments wanting to try 'alternative income' models....

CF8889

Long-Time Member
The first order of business is to use AI to eliminate jobs [business expenses] in order to maximize profits...that is why we keep hearing about governments wanting to try 'alternative income' models....

A lot of people will fight it at first. But UBI might be our only solution, until we eventually move away from a monetary system altogether. It's fascinating, what they are working on these days. With each new "break through" it seems to ripple through adjacent technology too. 25years from now could be a really a different world/system, from what we have now.

Of course. With technology.. always have to ground yourself and say "this is sooooo cool...but not all theories come true. Just gotta ride the wave".... Otherwise it's pretty easy to start doomsday prepping haha

Thread starter #12

Big Lew

This IS My Life
We haven’t seen anything yet in regard to homeless camps unless society bites the big bullet and sets up some sort of guaranteed income for the masses losing traditional jobs and don’t have the skills or financial ability to glean the advanced technical skills needed in a robotic world

Top Bottom