Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

The "DIFFERENCES SETTLING FORUM" a new way of dealing with personal dislikes that spill onto the open forums.

Thread starter #1

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
The recent disagreements on a couple of subjects here on TNOF has brought to our (staff) attention the need to have a venue to sort out disagreements between members in a way that will not derail threads or drag other members into the fray.

After some discussion we have decided to implement a locked forum we called the "DIFFERENCES SETTLING FORUM"

In short this is a place where members who have opposing views on a subject and the debate becomes .......... shall we say HEATED. In this case participants who are taking part in the debate with more than the usual gusto, will be "invited" to take part in discussion in the "DIFFERENCES SETTLING FORUM". and hammer out their differences.

The Rules are simple, this will be basically a no-holds-barred forum. The 2 basic guidelines are, NO THREATS, and NO PERSONAL ATTACKS (participants may attack the subject all they want but not the member they are debating with on a personal level). The forum will only be open to those invited to the ongoing discussion and upon completion of the discussion the thread will be locked and removed then the forum will be open and ready for the next time it is needed.

NOTE** This forum is not for a disciplinary measure but a way to keep peace and unpleasant bickering from public view, as all participants must agree that how ever the DIFFERENCES SETTLING FORUM conversation turns out they will NOT bring the bickering back to open forum.

We as staff see this as another way this forum is unique and endeavors to find ways for our members to be able to express themselves with out fear of "over moderation".

Last edited by a moderator:

silvertipp

The problem with those biology lesson was you used to get in a lot of trouble for those classes
I only had one teacher that would actually Let things go
As long as they didn't get out of control
Can't do that stuff anymore
But I'm hoping I don't need the hidden room this year

Big Lew

This IS My Life
The problem with those biology lesson was you used to get in a lot of trouble for those classes
I only had one teacher that would actually Let things go
As long as they didn't get out of control
Can't do that stuff anymore
But I'm hoping I don't need the hidden room this year
Our 'home room' was used for chemistry lessons, including a small room to develop pictures.
It had a red light above the door to warn people not to enter when film was being developed.
Of course teens being the enterprising characters they are, you can imagine what that room was
also used for at times....not that I would know, he he he.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Yes, in a way it is kind of sad and funny...........but it has become necessary to the well being of of our site.

Name calling, insults, and/or mean spirited remarks have no place in the discussions or debates on T.N.O.F.ca

Hey BW, can you please post a list of the words and insults we can't use? Just ribbing ya!!! Lol

Thread starter #17

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
The thing is Nov back in the day it was settled with fists today it could be guns or knives. so yah today if you get into a scrap you never know how I will end.

Thread starter #19

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
We agree Merv, but it has to within reason, this forum gives participants that have pushed matters close to or over the line a place to go hammer and tongs with no fear of "punishment". Far better than locking threads and banning people IMO

Thread starter #20

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Yes, in a way it is kind of sad and funny...........but it has become necessary to the well being of of our site.

Name calling, insults, and/or mean spirited remarks have no place in the discussions or debates on T.N.O.F.ca
There is no other site(that I know of) that gives members a place to "duke it out" with out fear of repercussion, I truly believe that this is just one more way we try to make this a place where members can feel at home. I remember my Granny saying when I was young "you hooligans take your problem out behind the barn and come back as friends". These are words every family should live by, even the TNOF family.

Turnagain

There is no other site(that I know of) that gives members a place to "duke it out" with out fear of repercussion, I truly believe that this is just one more way we try to make this a place where members can feel at home. I remember my Granny saying when I was young "you hooligans take your problem out behind the barn and come back as friends". These are words every family should live by, even the TNOF family.
Jim, I think you guys have come up with a great solution to a problem.
Most of us have grown up past the stage of parking lot brawls but occasionally flashbacks of the old days are wished for the present.
I applaud the style of moderating that’s done on this site and the fact that the ban option is not the first call just because we don’t all think like a sheep.
I’m sure at one time or another I’ll be visiting your “Differences Settling Forum”.....lol!

gcreek

Beware of fat cooks and solictors for beer money!
Jim, I think you guys have come up with a great solution to a problem.
Most of us have grown up past the stage of parking lot brawls but occasionally flashbacks of the old days are wished for the present.
I applaud the style of moderating that’s done on this site and the fact that the ban option is not the first call just because we don’t all think like a sheep.
I’m sure at one time or another I’ll be visiting your “Differences Settling Forum”.....lol!

You won’t be alone!

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
i am kinda saddened by this . a little heated dialogue is good i think .
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION of course . but nothing of any importance will be discussed anymore .
Merv,
"heated dialogue" is one thing and is not a bad thing. But when that dialogue degenerates into insulting, and snide remarks that do not add to the discussion taking place, then it is obvious that the heat has gotten to some.

Of course important issues and topics will continue to be discussed!! Why not? The discussion will be vigorous, it will be slightly heated, and it will be civil - without insults or snide comments or name-calling like school kids.

If people cannot discuss, debate, or carry on a dialogue without using threats, slander, or name-calling then it might be a good thing if they wandered off somewhere else.

PortSide

Social media (example forums) are big target item for corporate talking points particularly big oil (climate change, pipelines, China is said to have an "army" of trolls promoting the communist giant as peaceful, friendly, helpful, prosperity etc). This is the realm of Public Opinion because billions of dollars are at stake and many millions or dollars are spent on social media ... a big source of public opinion these days. Trolls are on every forum which is why forums most likely will continue to decline replaced by more personally controllable social media. Your efforts could be a way of discouraging troll attacks by limiting their audience. The "other" hunting forum has lost many posters including me accordingly.

Thread starter #28

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION of course . but nothing of any importance will be discussed anymore .
Merv care to elaborate on your thoughts(I mean this sincerely), IMHO this will open the door to more point v point discussion. It will almost completely negate the need of locking threads, deleting or editing posts and banning of members. The idea of the forum is to give members a place to either settle their differences or agree to disagree, not to bury the thread they were disagreeing on.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Well when do you suppose we will have our first customers? I'm very curious to see how the first "Cage match" will end. Probably no different then open forum...two dudes go at it until one or both run out of energy/motivation to continue on. I don't see what the big deal is. Let's see how it pans out...like I said before I like the idea

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Although I like the idea, as Nov says, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'
If I've wanted to further discuss something in a way that might cause too much
disruption or unnecessarily start a feud within the forum's public sections, I will
PM whomever is the second half of the misunderstanding or disagreement.

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
I think you guys are missing the point of this forum... Let me see if i can simplify it.

When two (or more) members get to 'discussing' things that they feel passionate about, and that discussion takes on an insulting tone - where the 'debaters' resort to name-calling, insults, threats, and/or snide, attacking comments in the open forum(s) - then all of them are brought into this new arena/forum so that they can resolve their differences and come out a lot more tolerant of the other's point of view.

At the very least - they should agree to disagree and move onward. That means no more name-calling, insults, threats, and/or snide, attacking comments towards one another, AT ALL.

Clear as mud?

PortSide

An odious trend increasingly seen in internet forums is "the clique" . A small group usually with a corporate "talking point" or other troll interest "bully" other forum members with gang up style ridicule. Forums are declining throughout the web because, after all ...who needs the hassle. "Difference settling" options is a good idea. A better one is to just outright ban anything off topic from the forum main theme. A different hunter forum in BC has this in spades and is loosing posters.

Thread starter #39

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
There is nothing wrong with healthy and spirited debate BUT when it degenerates into member bashing etc. There needs to be a! Ehind the barn" where members can say their piece without inflicting it on the other members.
Merv actually this new forum has been in the discussion for some Time before Gcreek ever joind the site it came about because of 2 other members 1 of whom has since left. I hope it never gets used but like a 45-70 it is there when and if the $hit hits the fan. Sofar it has been a non starter anyway

olympia

Long-Time Member
[QUOTE="Foxton Gundogs, post: 335632, member: 116" I hope it never gets used but like a 45-70 it is there when and if the $hit hits the fan. Sofar it has been a non starter anyway[/QUOTE]

Think I like my Mauser 9.3x62 more than the 45-70 now. 286 grain moving at about (2400fps according to data). I find it nicer to shoulder too.

Top Bottom