Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

The Gold River is GONZO

Thread starter #1
No winter angling in Gold River and tributaries

GOLD RIVER, B.C. – There will be no angling on the Gold River and tributaries starting from December 1st, 2018 until May 31st, 2019.

According to a release, the provincial government is closing the Gold River downstream of the Muchalat River, including tributaries but excluding the Muchalat River and Heber River, from angling to support steelhead conservation.

Catch-and-release angling only accounts for a small percentage of steelhead annual mortality, but the closure will help protect the population from angling-induced stress and mortality.

The release also stated that stock assessment information indicates the winter steelhead population in Gold River is vulnerable to local extinction.

The province and the B.C. Conservation Foundation are working with local First Nations to investigate factors to steelhead decline and consider ways to positively influence fish stocks.

https://www.mycomoxvalleynow.com/45570/no-winter-angling-in-gold-river-and-tributaries/

The canary is croaking Folks...

Sadly,
Nog

KH4

Sad,

Considering the state of steelhead in most systems, I would be nice to get some designation and protection before they're all gone, probably all too little too late now.

But as they're not a commercially significant stock and orcas don't eat them, the powers that be don't really seem to give a crap.

It's not about the species being in peril, it's about who values that particular species...Ex. hunters probably value mule deer and moose the most, but we're not important. Eco-tourists & greenies like whales and griz bears = protection. Sport fishermen revere SH, but now it's too little too late.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Sadly, in my lifetime there have been so many fish bearing streams either totally ruined, or
have had fish stocks reduced next to nothing. As a youngster, I could go to just about any
stream flowing into the Fraser River and expect to catch all manner of fishes. Unless something
a lot more progressive is done very soon, I hold no hope that any new generations in the foreseeable
future will be able to go fishing as I did as a kid. The same holds true for almost all species of
fishes in all our rivers, streams, and lakes.

Thread starter #5
Agreed - Positive steps are occurring on the seal front, and that area will be one of the target locations: https://www.tnof.ca/threads/pacific-balance-pinniped-society.19451/

This is not the only river that is currently suffering, in fact most that I know are. I formed a lifestyle around spending three months each winter chasing winter steelhead. They are pretty much gone, and so is that lifestyle. There are a host of problems that must be dealt with, and soon, or we will be facing losing them forever. Unfortunately the Province and the Feds don't give a chit about these ones... :Doh!:

Sadly,
Nog

Top Bottom