Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Things that spoil a perfect setting...

Thread starter #1

Big Lew

This IS My Life
How many times have you come across what seems to be a perfect setting depicting days gone by only to have it spoiled by something either out of place or not related to the era? I came across 4 Gang Ranch cowboys enjoying a seista around their noonday campfire. They all were using their saddles for pillows as their horses stood hobbled nearby. Everything from rigging to clothing was from days gone by...except each had a metal Walt Disney lunch box sitting on by their saddle. I stayed overnight at Tetsa Outfitters in 2001 while bicycling the Alaskan Hwy and I noticed the owner was dressed in traditional cowboy clothes and everything about his place was like day of the past...except he was riding an atv and he had banks of solar panels on the roof of his buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Years ago before I went to Cassiar, we used to fish McKenzie Lakes west of PG. it was a goat trail in and if it was wet you better have a winch. After 2 years in Cassiar I wanted to fish McKenzie Lakes again and we headed in there all the way wondering when we should turn our hubs in. As we broke over the hill above the lake there was every forum of car, van and campers/rvs cluttering up the beautiful area beside the lake. Have never been back since. Damn the "Super Highways" where there should be goat trails.

Thread starter #5

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Years ago before I went to Cassiar, we used to fish McKenzie Lakes west of PG. it was a goat trail in and if it was wet you better have a winch. After 2 years in Cassiar I wanted to fish McKenzie Lakes again and we headed in there all the way wondering when we should turn our hubs in. As we broke over the hill above the lake there was every forum of car, van and campers/rvs cluttering up the beautiful area beside the lake. Have never been back since. Damn the "Super Highways" where there should be goat trails.
Sadly, that's happened to me a lot over the last few years.
Don't know if anyone remembers the 'Sky Ranch' north west of the Gang that was accessed by a 26 miles
4x4 road during dry season. All the buildings were dove-tailed log structures and the family farmed their
various natural hay meadows with horse drawn equipment. It was shown on a TV documentation. It was
truly a wilderness homestead until about 1970. I hunted birds there for a few years, and was treated
extremely well by that family. When I got married I took my wife there only to find that a big logging company
had put in a super hauling highway right past their buildings and there was a huge locked gate with a private
property keep out sign on it. I can only surmise that family had been bought out or forced out and moved on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom