Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Traditional Flemish Bowstrings

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:10)

blacktail

Custom Knives and Game Calls
Reaction score
First off I want to tell you that I am no expert here but have been shooting traditional equipment for close to 40 years.
I have made my own wooden arrows from scratch and cut feathers to fletch from raw goose and Turkey wing feather.
This is how I do things so don't take it as gospel but like I said it has worked for me for 40 years.

I want to give you a little insight on traditional bow strings the way I make them.
A true Flemish string is one that has three distinct plies that are twisted and braided to form a kind of rope.
Those bowstrings that have only two plies are considered as hand laid strings although they are twist in much the same fashion.

blacktail

Reaction score
To start with I have a jig to make them that is marked off to give me the length of string I need for a particular bow length.20191017_145153.jpg20191017_145423.jpg

Last edited:

blacktail

Reaction score
When all three bundles are strung and cut then the work begins20191017_150159.jpg

I have markings on my jig to space for the lower limb and upper limb as this upper one will have to be made slightly larger to enable it to slide down the limb
20191017_150253.jpg

blacktail

Reaction score
When twisting and laying back the strands will fall into place and twist to for the braid.20191017_150630.jpg

When the desired length is achieved it is folded over and braided back into itself to form the loop and the individual strand lock into each other20191017_151400.jpg

You then repeat the process for the other end and as you can see the upper limb loop is larger20191017_152448.jpg

blacktail

Reaction score
It is then that you twist the bowstring and pull to stretch it.
I on average twist up to 100 times and pull up to stretch the string which also helps to tighten the braid20191017_152358.jpg

Last edited:

blacktail

Reaction score
On the bow is now when I put on the serving. I use a nylon serving which is very durable .
General rule of thumb is 9 inches of serving. 5 inches below the shelf and 4 inches above.20191017_152854.jpg20191017_153049.jpg20191017_154805.jpg

Last edited:

blacktail

Reaction score
After serving it is ready for a nock for placement but that will be done when it is on the bow that will shoot it.
Traditional way of checking brace height.20191017_154950.jpg20191017_155016.jpg

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Roy - who knew! Really great looking strings sir. :Hi:

I have a Martin Jaguar and - like Rick - I would love to have one of your strings for it. I'm going to confirm the length needed and send a PM.

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I am not an archer but even I can see the beauty in them. You sir are always amazing me.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Lottsa room to give them some more twists to take out the stretch and creep?

Jim's right - those strings are things of beauty for sure. :Oh Yeah!:

blacktail

Reaction score
I have limited bow string material here as I have used most of it over the years.
If there would be a certain level of interest it could be worth ordering more in different colours.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Roy - I'm so scatter-brained of late that I have to ask (it's much easier than looking it up myself :yeah, right:)

How do I go about measuring the length of string need from my recurve? I have lost the box it came in long ago so I can't refer to that......... :can't find it:

blacktail

Reaction score
Roy - I'm so scatter-brained of late that I have to ask (it's much easier than looking it up myself :yeah, right:)

How do I go about measuring the length of string need from my recurve? I have lost the box it came in long ago so I can't refer to that......... :can't find it:
There should be a label on your bow that tells you what length the bow is.
If not then measure down along the back of the bow from tip to tip
Trad strings are made for the length of the bow not the length of the string

blacktail

Reaction score
No problem. Whenever you are ready.
I ordered up some different colors just to have them here.
You might even get the updated improved version.:victorious:

Top Bottom