Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

weather in your town.....where's the snow at ??

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Not as bad as up where you are but this morning we had high winds with heavy rain and now snow. The flakes are about two inches in diamator. Temp would be about 2 or 3 degrees celcius. Nice start to Dwcember. Hope everyone is and stays safe.
Steve

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
Heavy, wet snow like that is far worse than a drier, powder type snow, as you no doubt know Steve. Couple that heavy snow with high winds and the potential for trees coming down is very real.

Not to mention the fact that driving in wet snow is harder than driving in powdery snow. So far this year, our snows have been of the wet, heavy kind and that makes for stress on roofs and trees alike. I'm hopeful that when the drier, colder weather hits, in late Dec thru to the end of Feb, that the wet snow has melted away and won't just give a base of ice for the dry powder snow.

Going to be an interesting winter this year, judging by the start of it so far.....

Do I believe in Global Warming? You bet yer arse I do!!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Part of my yearly winter and earthquake readiness is to have my generator
checked out and full of gas, including stabilizer added, two 6 gallon cans full
of gas with stabilizer, two 5 gallon water jugs full, and the truck's tank always
at least 3/4 full. They say that making a habit of having 1/4 to 1/2 a tank is not
a good thing because that's when the most condensation occurs inside.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Bow Walker you are right when the heavy wet snow packs down and then the lite dry snow blows across it the base polishes so smooth and slick. Down here if that starts at the beginning of winter it can be around all winter. This morning we did not get that much snow. Big Lew I wish someone could convince my wife to fill at 1/2 or above. I try to convince her that what happens if we need to go somewhere at midnight with all gas stations closed and the car is out of gas. It has happened once and we took my truck as it had gas.
Steve

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Bow Walker you are right when the heavy wet snow packs down and then the lite dry snow blows across it the base polishes so smooth and slick. Down here if that starts at the beginning of winter it can be around all winter. This morning we did not get that much snow. Big Lew I wish someone could convince my wife to fill at 1/2 or above. I try to convince her that what happens if we need to go somewhere at midnight with all gas stations closed and the car is out of gas. It has happened once and we took my truck as it had gas.
Steve
Often it takes an unpleasant event to drive prudence home. I once had a 1967 ford 3/4 ton 4x4 with
the main gas tank plus 2 saddle tanks all hooked up so that I could switch from one to another as I
drove along. My buddy and I drove up to Prince George, passing gas stations as we drained each tank,
thinking the price will be better, or that we'll stop later when we wanted a coffee. Ended up pulling
every trick we could to make it to a filling station on fumes. The truck held 46 gallons, we took on 45 gallons.
That was in the middle of the night during the winter and there was almost no traffic.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
We have 2 smaller gen sets, one is set up to power the pellet stove, TV and a few lights, the other the coffee pot and micro wave. 3 BBQs and 2 camp stoves, the trailer boat and camper all have no perishable food stuffs. 2 of our trucks are diesel so with 250 gal of furnace oil on board and a crank pump fuel is not a problem. Hopefully we are good for a week or so.

Bow Walker

When i spent a year up in PG quite a while ago I quickly learnt to keep the car's gas tank at least 3/4 full at all times. Condensation can and does happen a lot. It can leave you stranded in the most awkward of places.

In the dead of winter it was not uncommon to see a lot of cars idling away in the shopping mall parking lot - doors locked and all. When the car warms up and everything gets comfy on the way to the mall and then you go in for a couple or three hours everything refreezes in the car. Often leaving you standing outside trying to get a frozen shut door open again. It's not just the lock, it is the rubber sealing around the door that keeps the water out that can freeze to the frame.

KH4

8" of snow yesterday and overnight, but wet, heavy and melting, supposed to warm up the rest of the week making a soupy slush reminiscent of the coast, yuck. Time to start seriously thinking of a trip down south if this is the winter I'm going to get with 'El Nino'

Sideways rain here in Port all morning.
Blew a few of our Christmas decorations into the neighbor's two doors down! :Yikes!:
Gusts being predicted up to 100 kph this afternoon.
Power flickering quite a bit the past hour, threatening to shut down methinks.

Time to hunker down it seems..
Nog

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Still many here on the island without power. Mine stayed on but we were the very few.
I watched a tree fall on my neighbors house. Everyone OK.
Clean up time.

Riverbc

Long-Time Member
I’m in one of the 462 outages in the lower mainland. We’ve been out since 12:20 pm yesterday. 64,634 with out power in the lower mainland right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power went out here before noon.
Thankfully it returned after a couple of tries about 5 or 6 hours later.
Still LOTS of folks without!

Was one hell of a wind / rain storm!! :Yikes!:

Certainly flattened a hell of a lot of trees!

Calmer today although still wet.
Hope the Hydro Ladz make some progress for those still in the dark...

Cheers,
Nog

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Just looked at radar for the island. South half looks like it is getting hammered with more coming for the whole island. Hope everyone's is safe and OK and stays that way.
Steve

Bow Walker

Warmed up to +5 here yesterday afternoon and started raining. It rained all night and is still coming down as I type. Winds are only gusting to about 40kmh so at least we don't have to worry about that part. Problem is - the ground is frozen solid so any rain water stays on the surface. Lottsa 'lakes' out there and growing constantly.

Funny how one coast can mirror the other sometimes......

Sleet.
Skiff of snow down, but will wash away with the drizzle as temperatures rise.
Still a hell of a lot of folks without power!! :Yikes!:
Smaller communities (Nanoose for instance) being back-burnered as the larger communities (Nanaimo) are addressed first.
Many Buddies running gensets & fireplaces.

Hope they get to everyone today...

At least the wind went down...

Nog

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Power back on at 9ish last night, TV phone and WiFi back this morning. We HAD an awesome new hay tent. It WAS on a 10x20 treated 4x8 foundation which was itself held down with 4 18" rebar pins.

It WAS here
tent.jpg

It's now here in the middle of the cutting pen.

tent2.jpg

Last edited:

Bow Walker

Well - after that little warm up and rain that all but washed away our snow, it "flurried" last night - giving us an almost White Christmas. Nice surprise this morning.

-10 out there, feeling like -17 with the breeze that's about.... good day for a stroll with my four-legged kids later...... :Oh Yeah!:

Bow Walker

Feels like -21 out there right now. At least the snow has stopped. :Black Eye:

More forecast for Thurs/Fri though... Just cleared a foot of the stuff off the driveway today and rewarded myself with a tot of this..............

download (1).jpg

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Power back on at 9ish last night, TV phone and WiFi back this morning. We HAD an awesome new hay tent. It WAS on a 10x20 treated 4x8 foundation which was itself held down with 4 18" rebar pins.

It WAS here
View attachment 17027

It's now here in the middle of the cutting pen.

View attachment 17028

Same thing happened to my tractor tent one year, methinks something more permanent is the cure?

Can you believe it, way up here, after cleaning up 2 1/2 feet of snow....it poured rain all flipping day...

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Heavy Rainfall Warning In Effect

An intense Pacific frontal system has stalled over the region today bringing continued heavy rainfall to Vancouver Island.
Total rainfall amounts of near 100 mm are expected.

Foreseeable future outlook: Rain, Heavy at times.

Back to the Ark Building... :upset:

Nog

Top Bottom