Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

weather in your town.....where's the snow at ??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:18)

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Had another round of ice then snow night before last. Snow is OK but I hate ice. When that happens I just spend the day with knuck the dog or the wife. It is 0 degrees f out right now.
Steve

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Reaction score
This just in...

✖✖ SNOWFALL WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FOR NANAIMO ✖✖
Environment Canada has now issued a Snowfall Warning - now in effect for East Vancouver Island - Duncan to Nanaimo.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I decided not to come north from Mesa via the inland route a couple of days ago
and I'm glad I made that choice if the extremely heavy rains I experienced today
north of San Fransisco is snow up high. It rained so heavy I couldn't see the mud
flats within the bird sanctuary so I headed up to Fort Bragg for the evening. It's
raining but no where as heavy as down south. From the reports I'm getting about
the Fraser Valley I think I'll drag my feet a bit as I head north.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
We've had alternating snow, freezing rain, ice pellets, rain, and then snow again for the last week or two. It's weird how the temperatures go from -10 to +5 in a matter of hours.

It warms up and rains - then it goes right back into the deep freeze and everything turns to ice, the roads, people's driveways, even the low spots in people's yards and fields become skating rinks.

Very dangerous.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Today while traveling up the coast I got hailed on, drove on ice, and through very heavy snow squalls
on just about every elevation above the shore line. I was lucky that the worse, about 10 miles south
of Coos Bay, had barely begun because in just a few minutes the road was totally white and piling up
fast. I pity the people I saw heading toward it while pulling big trailers. Like I said yesterday, if this very
heavy moisture is happening inland it sure will be nasty. I stopped a bit early in Coos Bay to relax...I've
still got 2 days to make it to the border.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
No rush every thing will be there when you get there. In the last couple of hours this morning we have received over 4 inches of snow.
Steve

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
It did snow some on Friday.
Here's a shot out the back door as I was Barbecuing:

That largely went away yesterday.
But, today we are under another Snowfall Warning, and up to 8 or so cm's of the white can be expected they say.
Just below minus three now, and it is starting...

Guess we'll see just what it amounts too...

Roads yesterday between Port & Qualicum were horrid.
Much worse than what I would have expected after seeing what actually fell here in town.
Packed snow & ice. Damn Slick!!
And some people simply should not be driving when it is like that.
I mean 30 km/hour in an 80 zone, with traffic backed up for miles upon miles behind you?
Really?? :Doh!:

Nog

Last edited:

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
I decided not to come north from Mesa via the inland route a couple of days ago
and I'm glad I made that choice if the extremely heavy rains I experienced today
north of San Fransisco is snow up high. It rained so heavy I couldn't see the mud
flats within the bird sanctuary so I headed up to Fort Bragg for the evening. It's
raining but no where as heavy as down south. From the reports I'm getting about
the Fraser Valley I think I'll drag my feet a bit as I head north.
Sound wisdom Sir, sound wisdom:Oh Yeah!::Here's To Ya:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well, so much for sleeping in, lol! The person behind the desk in the motel I stayed in last night
had been watching the weather and advised me to head out early the next day, today, as it was
supposed to be a lull between storms. He was right! Aside from icy roads, the weather was good
until about 1 1/2 hrs from home. Drove through snow showers and then a heavy squall in Sumas.

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Reaction score
10 inches in Nanaimo now and still snowing!
Lot's of closed roads and stores.
Warnings to stay home!
Fire time.

{84B84151-F244-4408-8FFD-B9B9F936F4D6}-001.JPG

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well I'm both glad and sad about getting home when I did...
The truck has a thick blanket of snow and the roads all all deep in the white stuff
which all happened after I got home. I'm sad that I cheaped out and didn't extend
my stay down south for a couple more weeks.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Apparently the next 2-3 weeks calls for more of the same almost every day.
Looks like that 15-30cms is likely to turn into 3 times that accumulated amount
beginning this afternoon.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Just finished plowing the driveway

It seems that way at times! When I was 2-4 we lived in Campbell River and somewhere we have pictures
of the snow my dad shoveled from the sidewalk and driveway into banks well over his head. I looked for
them but I guess either my kids or siblings have them now. That would have been between 1948 and 1950.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Good to hear you are back Safe 'n Sound Big Lew! :Oh Yeah!:

Only lightly coming down at this moment.
And only about 3 inches or so on the ground.

But...

Warnings

11:14 AM PST Monday 11 February 2019
Snowfall warning in effect for:
  • Inland Vancouver Island
A long period of snowfall with total amounts of 15 to 25 cm is expected.

A second low pressure centre in as many days will give more snow to the South Coast beginning this afternoon and continuing into Tuesday.
This second disturbance will spread snow to virtually the entire South Coast with heaviest amounts falling tonight. Total snowfall amounts will vary across the region with 15 to 25 cm falling in most areas and the highest amounts likely on Vancouver Island and on the Vancouver North Shore.

Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow.

One of my buddies from the Yukon called this am, wondering if I missed my old raced up sled yet. :What?:
Getting there... :Doh!:

Nog

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
4 hrs so far on the tractor today. About 1/2 done and that's no counting the neighbors who have been calling. :upset:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I didn't receive as much snow as those on the Island, only about 15 cm, but I removed
it all from the truck and shoveled the driveway to accommodate 4 vehicles if need be.
I took my time, and as I was thinking about how many years I have left where I can still
do it, 3 teenage boys walked by with snow shovels looking for someone to pay for them
to shovel driveways etc. Not often you see that now-a-days. Hope there are some around
when I finally need them.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Wow! Seems ol Port is missing out somewhat on the white stuff.
We got some overnight, but not nearly as what is being shown above:

Just enough I'll be latching onto the shovel for a spell today. :disgust:

Snowfall Warning is continued...
See what happens I guess...

Cheers,
Nog

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I can relate to that. Through December we had almost no snow. Sense January 1 we have had well over 2feet of snow. I have stayed home 3 and 1/2 days due to bad roads.
Steve

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
And so it begins.

Started very early this morning and is continuing now as I type. Supposed to last all day and into the evening. Forecast is for between 20 and 30 cm. of the crap....the winds are at a brisk 25 kmh and are gusting to 40 kmh, they are supposed to change direction this afternoon and strengthen to 40 kmh and gust to 50+ kmh.

The temperature will rise up a bit and hover around 0 as the ice pellets rain down just before the freezing rain starts. Not supposed to warm up this time around though... going to stay frozen for the next 5 days according to the long range.

Good day to be inside with a pot of coffee (the good stuff :yeah, right:) and my trusty laptop, tuned to my favorite site.....T.N.O.F.ca

Top Bottom