Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Weekend in Bamfield - get the butter

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
So, on very short notice my youngest says friends are fishing Bamfield for the long weekend and would I mind if he went there instead of helping me take a friend out locally. I said do what you want but why don't we take my boat to Bamfield and join them. So we did.

But first there was a birthday party he needed to make a showing at. They were cooking some of his salmon and his friends pork. We were there till about 9pm then went to pick up my son's gear before heading up island. Close to 10pm we were on the road. We stopped in Parksville for fuel and ice then over the hump to Alberni. I had talked to Nog about the road to Bamfield and he said and I quote, "Chit". That is one bitc# of a road. 81 kms took three hours. We did get up to 40kmph for about 15 seconds and spent a lot of time at 15. Nog also suggested to tarp the boat and motors to keep the dust out. Good call Matt, much needed and much appreciated.

We arrive at about 4am and know his buddies will be up at 5 for coffee and to get ready to head out for the morning bite. We figured we’d just recline the seats and sleep for a whopping 60 minutes.

The morning light shined gently on the eyes of Lucy Jordan………. Sorry I still haven’t recovered from the weekend and my mind wandered. The morning light saw us in the boat and heading to the first fishing spot. It was a gong show of boats but we managed 7 fish in the boat all in the 10 to 14lb range. Beautiful chrome coho that danced on the water and gave is a fright each hook up. The chinook ran with determination both away and towards us. Both our Islander reels, mine a MR2 and his, a MR3 worked flawlessly. All fish were caught at 33 feet or less. Green flashers and numerous terminal tackle. Spoons, hoochies and anchovies.

Back at the dock I was really fading fast due to a lack of sleep and 60 years of age. No it wasn’t the beer. I had only had two all day.

Sunday was out to the same spot but the bite didn’t seem to be on there so after a couple of hours we decided to try for some lingcod before heading back to have a moose burger for lunch. We tried, unsuccessfully in a couple of spots and then hit a spot where I hooked a really nice ling. Unfortunately, the gaffing didn’t work out and both the ling and my jig danced to the bottom. That was a disappointment as a nice feed of cod is always on of my favourites.

We fried up a couple of moose burgers, threw on some cheese and chowed down of some of the finest meat BC has to offer. Now I have room in the freezer for one more pack of, hopefully, this years moose.

A funny thing happened on the way back to the boat. We were just about at the dock and I saw two guys standing there with their gear. It was obvious they were heading to a lodge of camp to do some fishing. I was just about to make a comment about waiting for their taxi when they turned around and it was my long time hunting partner and another aluminum boat builder from Victoria we both know. They said they had just mentioned the guy walking towards the dock looked just like me and damn if it wasn’t me. How strange moments in time can be for us to both be on the same dock at that moment of time that we could meet up and wish each other well on our respective trips..

After some chatting and their boat, Doug built the one they were heading out in, had arrived, Ethan and I took the Shirley B out to try the evening bite. 10 minutes after putting the lines in, we were on to a fish. By the time we head back to camp four more had had the unfortunate opportunity to swim by us.

We weren’t sure if we’d pack up at first light or not but I was convinced we should fish the early morning and then pack up. I was glad we did. What an incredible morning. Flat calm except for the gentle swells coming into the inlet, early light in the east, boats with navigation lights on are spotting the ocean. It doesn’t get much bett………….fish on………..as I was saying, doesn’t get much better than this. 1st fish on as the morning was breaking but this one got away from us. Still an awesome moment. We landed three more fish by 8:10 and started back towards the dock and the work of cleaning the last fish, breaking camp and hitting the road from hell.

The trip in had cost us a fender of the trailer what might the trip out cost. Oh, we still have the fender it just needs to be reattached.

All in we had three wonderful days on the west coast and came home with 15 fish. We thought we had our limit but miscounted and were one short.

I have a couple of after pics and am waiting for some before to be sent to me.

I hope you all liked the story.

20180903_180902.jpg

Vern like fish too.

20180903_180935.jpg

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Great Report of some Fun Times Phil!! :Oh Yeah!:

I was wondering all weekend how you made out down that trail.
Good to hear the only casualty was the fender!! :victorious:

Looks like some mighty fine eatin' headed your way soon.
Congrats Buddy!!

And thanks for letting us know... small wink

Cheers,
Nog

Thread starter #3

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Matt, the tip on covering everything up was so, so much appreciated. We saw some very dusty rigs come in and out of there. It sure was a relief to get back on pavement.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Good Stuff.
I know of a couple Ladz that failed to do that, and ended up blowing up their kickers as a consequence.
A little insurance goes a very long way!

Congrats again Buddy!

Cheers,
Nog

Excellent write up Phil. I enjoyed reading it and feeling like I was there with you.

Too bad about the ling, but those things are sent to try us....

Congratulations on those fine, fine coho. :Hungry:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Thanks for sharing such an incredible fishing outing! It's pretty obvious that you know
what you're doing out there. I've only gone fishing out on the 'chuck' twice in my life
and we caught a few Coho. Never had a boat big enough, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Great Adventure Phil....:Oh Yeah!:... Nice Fish..:Here's To Ya:
Know that road well..:Black Eye: ... many trips over the years... twice we had trailer breakdowns.. last one had to go back to Port on the Rose... The run back up the Cannal by boat was another story ..:hopelessness:... Stormy Winter conditions... I drove out going through washed out flooded roads...:Doh!:
Can't wait to get back out there...

Rob sends a :Oh Yeah!:

a great adventure indeed.....fresh salmon,family and meeting old friends...........yes we do live in a sportsmans paradise !!
I hope more will share stories like that.
thanks PHIL

Thread starter #13

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Great Adventure Phil....:Oh Yeah!:... Nice Fish..:Here's To Ya:
Know that road well..:Black Eye: ... many trips over the years... twice we had trailer breakdowns.. last one had to go back to Port on the Rose... The run back up the Cannal by boat was another story ..:hopelessness:... Stormy Winter conditions... I drove out going through washed out flooded roads...:Doh!:
Can't wait to get back out there...

Rob sends a :Oh Yeah!:
I was worried about the trailer both on the way in and out. We followed a guy hauling a pretty large travel trailer on the way out. He was just creeping along and I imagine even at that there would be dishes and stuff all over at the end of the cobblestone.

Say hi Back to Rob for me. I'll have to send him along this story. I sure miss some of the guys that wandered away.

They're coming Phil. Not much happens over the summer, but now that it's Sept people are shaking off the doldrums and getting back into what they love to do, which is be "out and about" at every opportunity.

Hear that? That's the "Bush" calling! :Yee Ha:

Thread starter #16

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I love a meat run like we had but there is so much to do when you get home. Never mind the camping and boat clean up but the processing of the fish as well. Yesterday I smoked 5 Bradley racks filled with salmon. I then cut up and wrapped about 15 beautiful 3/4 inch thick steaks, cut up 2 1/4 fish for candying and put them in the brine all the while canning 24 jars for the winter larder. This morning I was up at 4:45 to lay out the soon to be candied salmon on racks in front of a fan to, as Matt would say, turn into gummy bears. They will be smoked this evening.

I thought some might like to see what 2 of the fish are turning into.

20180905_050643.jpg 20180905_052946.jpg 20180904_200407.jpg

The last pic is of some of the fruits of my labour. Pudaddo and tomatoes from the garden and salmon from the sea. MMm MMm MM mm

Walter

Long-Time Member
Great story Phil . My sister and her hubby Jimmy used to own the Imperial Eagle Lodge in Bamfield. Went out a few times to "Gods Country" and had a great time. We always got our share of fish. I know what you guys mean by the bone jarring , dusty brute of a road ! There were some massive Pacifics hauling logs and you had to very careful...........it was worth the drive once we got there. Sadly, Jimmy who loved the area passed away last year.

Jimmy the Prawn

The Prawn is On
Wow what a trip!
I fished Bamfield for the first time for a few days in the first week of august and found it amazing. The group I travelled with made the decision to launch at Port Alberni and run the boats to Grappler cove because they had heard about the road conditions from port to Bamfield. If I recall correctly we were about an hour and 20 minutes run in the boat, and a spectacular run it was. I would recommend that route the next time!
JP

Thread starter #24

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Wow what a trip!
I fished Bamfield for the first time for a few days in the first week of august and found it amazing. The group I travelled with made the decision to launch at Port Alberni and run the boats to Grappler cove because they had heard about the road conditions from port to Bamfield. If I recall correctly we were about an hour and 20 minutes run in the boat, and a spectacular run it was. I would recommend that route the next time!
JP
I'm thinking the run on the water would be better too. The road sure jarred things around in the boat and on the trailer.

Top Bottom