Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

What do I need to start shooting a recurve?

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Another big thanks to Bill (aka Shushwapbear) for passing along the bow to me, still can't believe it. I picked up the gear from Mike on the weekend, and am trying to figure out what I need:

I know I need inserts and tips for the arrows.
Do you guys still use 100gr points on recurves? (I recall I've read somewhere trad bow projectiles are a bit better heavy and slow?)

Bow stringer - need one, pretty self explanatory i think

Rest - the one that came with the bow the bolt bit was plastic and just barely holding on, so I guess I'll need something else. Shooting off the shelf vs a rest - what are best for taking quick shots? Can you do a whisker biscuit on a recurve? Not sure why but I'm not super keen on the drop away if I'm using it for tromping around in the bush.

Finger tabs - annoying/unneccesary or useful or situational (just use if you're doing a lot of shooting)?

Steve - a lot of trad guys just shoot off the shelf - they don't use a rest. The thing they do use (and it is required) are feathers on the arrows, rather than plastic vanes.

Typically the weight of the tip is 125 grains - but, that is not a requirement at all. I get good results with 100 grains too. It all has to do with the length, spine, and overall weight of your arrows. Longer, heavier arrows will require you to have a bit heavier tip on the front end to get the proper F.O.C. require for decent arrow flight and reliable accuracy.

Get someone to measure how far you can draw the bow back and anchor - measure from the nock to about 1" or 2" forward of the bow. That will be your arrow length. You do not want an arrow that has too little spine as it will act like a wet noodle when it tries to lfy down range - it just won't stabilize properly.

The tip weight interacts with the weight of the nock and feathers, causing the arrow shaft to bend as the force of the string is applied to the nick end.... Inertia. Overcoming inertia and getting a stable flight as soon as possible will leaad to better and more repeatable accuracy.

Please don't use aluminum shafts!

Wooden arrows are always heavier than carbon arrows because they need the thickness to gain the spine, so heavier (125 grain, 150 grain, and even 200 grain) tips are used.

Carbon shafts (in my opinion) are better simply because you can shoot a much lighter arrow and still have that down range punch that is required. You also g to use a lighter tip.

I like to use Gold Tip's "Arrow Building" feature on their website, but I see that it is down for the time being.....

Sorry for being long winded, but if you want more info or help - just Pm..... :Oh Yeah!:

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
When I use to shoot recurve a lot, I would use a Finger Glove instead of a tab. The tab just never felt good to me.
I also only would target shoot with it and only shot off the shelf, although i did have some felt on it. Cedar shafts and Feathers was what I used all the time back then too, at that time Carbon arrows were unheard of...
As for the Bow Stringer.....In my mind they are a waste of money. You can String and Unstring a Recurve in seconds by hand. I am sure that youtube should have many videos showing how to.....
Have fun with your new recurve....They are a lot of fun

Last edited:
I use an arrow rest that is made by APA - it is called Safari Lite. You can also use one called the Ultimate Junior. These are fixed position rests and are pretty much bullet proof.

Safari Lite.

SafariLite1.jpg

Ultimate Junior.

UltimateJunior_Large2-240x300.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Another big thanks to Bill (aka Shushwapbear) for passing along the bow to me, still can't believe it. I picked up the gear from Mike on the weekend, and am trying to figure out what I need:

I know I need inserts and tips for the arrows.
Do you guys still use 100gr points on recurves? (I recall I've read somewhere trad bow projectiles are a bit better heavy and slow?)

Bow stringer - need one, pretty self explanatory i think

Rest - the one that came with the bow the bolt bit was plastic and just barely holding on, so I guess I'll need something else. Shooting off the shelf vs a rest - what are best for taking quick shots? Can you do a whisker biscuit on a recurve? Not sure why but I'm not super keen on the drop away if I'm using it for tromping around in the bush.

Finger tabs - annoying/unneccesary or useful or situational (just use if you're doing a lot of shooting)?
Shooting off the shelf is the quickest for getting shots off (hunting situations), but using a rest is pretty darned fast as well. Whisker Biscuits do work for and with finger shooters. Shoot with the cock feather out, as opposed to either down or up.

Shooting Styles....

One Over?

Spilt (one over, two under)?

Three Under?

I use the "3 Under" method. That is I have ll three of my fingers under the arrow as I draw, anchor, and release. I find that this gets the arrow up a bit higher on my face when I anchor and makes for an easier sight picture to aim.... I can literally look right down the shaft.

hawkeye-jeremy-renner-in-the-avengers-2012.jpg

Thread starter #10

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I have a dozen of those gold tips carbons that came with the combo that according to their chart should be smack dab in the middle of the spine I want for my draw length/this poundage.

Those APA rests look way more along the lines of what I was thinking. Is there any real difference between the two of them JR vs safari? I was just thinking that a whisker biscuit would kill/block a lot of your sight picture and must have some sort of detrimental effect on arrow speed?

Steve - here's a good discussion on in vs out... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1705378

I have the Safari rest, but I think the Juniors are a bit smaller and lighter in construction. With these types of rests you must shoot with the cock feather down so it passes thru the space between the two tines.

As for shooting style - play around a bit and see what is most comfortable for you and go with that. After enough practice you will get very, very good using your own particular style.

recurve i would shoot off the shelf . use feathers and shoot with the cock feather in . recurves are simple but do take a lot of practice .
If you go with feathers as opposed to plastic/rubberized vanes on your arrows then shooting directly off the shelf of the riser makes things very simple and a whole lot of fun. :Oh Yeah!:

Just don't get the feathers wet by shooting in the rain. Tight, flattened fletching makes for some interesting and possibly wild shots... :highly_amused:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom