Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

What is everyone eating tonight!

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
i've been busy practicing a few recipes for the show to see how my timing is before filming day..... so we have had Carrot Pasta with mandarin shrimp salad, BBQ salmon with lemon and herbs, Traditional seafood ceviche, Lox and then making West Coast eggs benedict, Cioppino, Garam masala scallops, saracha baked oysters, Mussels with a tai green chili coconut sauce......... so far no complaints from my taste testers.........

my peoples have been craving red meat so I did a nice braised leg of lamb the other night with basmati rice. The lamb had been braised in a beautiful broth of carrots, onions, celery, herbs, spices, and after I removed the lamb I reduced the liquid and added mushrooms, broccoli, snap peas to it and served that over the rice.

For Remembrance day we had company for dinner. I made a beautiful Stone Sheep roast on the BBQ, chicken and prawn souvlaki, Greek lemon potatoes, Greek rice pilaf, tzatziki dip, Greek salad, ceasar salad, baked Cauliflower

please accept my apologies for the no photos but I figured y'all have seen my braised lamb before and my Greek food before and as for the practice foods.....you will have to tune into the show when it airs lol lol lol

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Pretty hard to do after reading about Ali's wonderfully prepared foods but here goes.....
Toot toot toot, blowing my own horn, lol! I'm far from even an amateur cook by even the
wildest imagination. This afternoon I steamed some broccoli, and after very lightly searing
some cubed chicken, added both in with cream of chicken soup, a bit of additional seasoning,
and then covered it all with a cheese topping to make a casserole before popping it all into the
oven. I then boiled some potatoes and Brussels sprouts while having carrots steaming on top
of the stove as well. Miraculously, I timed everything just right. It all was ready at the same time,
and just as my daughter and son-in-law came walking into the house. Everything was cooked
to the right degree, and it all tasted very good. I admit my wife was watching and giving me pointers
from her walker in the living room, but I basically did it all myself. I was running around like those
people on the timed cooking shows, lol! Going to hang up my apron now because I don't think
I could repeat that success again.

newhunterette

Okay... Y’all I am not and have never been trained as a chef... no culinary school in this gal... I took home economic in junior highschool.... after that it was all academics in senior high.... I just found a love for cooking when both my parents worked full time and I cooked supper for them so it was ready when they got home from work.... my sister is 7 years older than me so by the time I was old enough to use the stove she was married.......

I look at the photos and read what y’all make and drool too.... I feel very honoured to be in great company with all of you and your culinary skills, many of you have supplied me with great knowledge, challenges, recipes and techniques.....

I would be pleased to sit at any of y’alls tables and break bread....

The recipes I have chosen to showcase on the show sound fancy but are actually super easy, probably the prep work (the Lox) especially is what takes the time... not the cooking....

:Here's Wishing:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Well, as time goes by and we read about and view the creations you prepare to perfection,
it's hard to believe that you haven't taken advanced cooking courses. Goes to show what a
person can do if they have a keen interest in something and that special drive to be great at it.

Ali - please, please remember those of us that eagerly await your photos of your culinary efforts.

I love to cook - and most say that I do it very well - but I also love to see and hear about your meals.

newhunterette

Almost looks like one of my wife's soups ! Mmmmmmmm !
It would make a nice soup but I reduced it down after straining all the vegies out to make a nice sauce to pour over the falling off the bone meat, the vegies make a really good purée to serve along with potatoes, rice pilaf or if so inclined gnocchi or polenta

Not to rain on your parade at all Ali, but.....
Does the lamb leg come out somewhat drier when done this way - as opposed to a regular roasting style cooking in the oven? I have braised and/or slo-cooker type methods before and the meat - especially if it is lean such as a leg - usually comes out on the well done and drier side of doneness.

newhunterette

So one of my new favourite but old recipes (thank-you, Daddy for my German side) is Lox

Amazes me when people think Lox is smoked salmon when in reality it is cured... Europeans are very well known for their curring and pickling of fish

My Gravlax as Peter would call it being Danish
9541BEBF-382F-415D-8EC5-652D8DB0B1A0.jpeg

We had West Coast Eggs Benedict Breakfast... okay not dinner but it was sooooo good..... Peter made it

B927F943-928C-434D-BABC-E7A5057BB886.jpeg

Last edited:

newhunterette

Not tpo rain on your parade at all Ali, but.....
Does the lamb leg come out somewhat drier when done this way - as opposed to a regular roasting style cooking in the oven? I have braised and/or slo-cooker type methods before and the meat - especially if it is lean such as a leg - usually comes out on the well done and drier side of doneness.
Not raining on my parade, i’ve never had issue with dryness because I sear the meat first before putting it in to braising liquid and I make sure the fluid level is always balanced. You can also infuse the meat with an injector to keep it moist as well.

Thank you Alison!
I need to pay more attention - obviously. :Oh Yeah!:

I am considering a Sous Vide cooker as a Christmas gift to myself via the "little woman"....... :not sure:

I have the time necessary for the cooking method - just have to up my waiting period quotient (patience)......
I'd love to do some beef shanks by that method. Or some other low, slow meat such as a blade roast or a beef tongue.

newhunterette

Thank you Alison!
I need to pay more attention - obviously. :Oh Yeah!:

I am considering a Sous Vide cooker as a Christmas gift to myself via the "little woman"....... :not sure:

I have the time necessary for the cooking method - just have to up my waiting period quotient (patience)......
I'd love to do some beef shanks by that method. Or some other low, slow meat such as a blade roast or a beef tongue.
I love my sous vide.... it is a really awesome way of cooking

newhunterette

Our appy last night before going to Peter’s brother’s for supper last night... Appy score 10 supper score -10

52ABD77D-411F-4D4C-9FD1-6BD9856093B8.jpeg
I know you hate oysters Dan, but even Shelby mowed these ones down and she isnt over fond of them.....

As for supper it was garlic toast (store bought) ceasar salad (made from a kit) and lasagne (frozen section of grocery store)..... Bro in law says cheaper than making it and taste the same..... obviously his palette has no clue about flavours.....

I am ok that people dont cook from scratch but to say they are the same shows unsophistication (is that a word) .... processed foods are not the same as homemade but they are more convenient.

Yes I guess I am a food snob

gunseller

Ali just remember I do not like oysters. Baked steamed boiled under a broiler or just opened. You better sent me some for disposal. They look good. I mean they look bad.
Steve

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE/PRAW..... Cedar BC
First of all your BIL is a heathen lol, frozen anything over home made, :Na-ahh:, Second those oysters look very similar to my Ersters Mexicana so I will say

:Hungry:

gunseller

Cannot think about food now. Just had our thanks giving dinner. Turkey, ham, mashed potatos, corny cornbread, cheesy green beans, and a half dozen desserts. Oh I ate way too much. Not much left had around 30 people.at our house.
Steve

gunseller

Thank you. The official day is Thursday but today is the day all of my kids could be here. Here today were my kids and grandkids, my brother and sister in law and their kids and grandkids and his dad. Oh and the most important person in my life, my wife. Sunday the 25th will be 41 years of wedded blist for us.
Steve

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Although they look really great, good enough to be displayed in a magazine or on a TV show,
I've never liked that type of seafood. Then again, peppers, melons, zucchinis, sweet potatoes,
and pea soup also can be make to look delicious enough to disguise their horrid taste....just saying, lol!

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Asian grouse wraps:

Sesame ginger grouse
Wasabi ginger aioli
Quick pickled radishes carrots and cukes
Salad mix

All wrapped in a rice wrapper

With a spicy peanut/hoisin type dipping sauce (really wishing I had written down what I put in it, was just winging it and turned out awesome)

newhunterette

Shall I just delete those pics now Ali?

Are people that like those things "unsophisticated"?

:What?:

:trouble_maker:

:ROFL::ROFL:
No I wasnt saying he was unsophisticated because of the oysters you silly bean.... not everyone likes them... its a personal choibce I have food dislikes too.....I meant he compared homemade lasagne to store bought at being the same, srore bought garlic bread the same as homemade and a ceasar salad kit just as good as a homemade from scratch ceasar dressing and fresh grated parmesano regiano cheesge. The is being unsophistocated. There is cooking for ease but losing out on taste which is what he does....and cooking for ease to save time but still taste good

Top Bottom