Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

What is everyone eating tonight!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I'm going to try and prepare and roast a pork tenderloin which will be accompanied
by buttery mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and asparagus, followed by dark cherry
cheesecake for desert. As both my wife and I don't drink alcohol, my daughter and son
in law guests will bring their own wine which I'm sure will fit the occasion.
Well that went better than I had hoped! That’s two in a row where everything turned out great and just as the guests arrived...might be a good time to quit while I’ Ahead

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
made a nice coconut curry Sunday...chopped up about 3 lbs of venison, drenched it in fresh squeezed lime juice (3 limes) and about 3 oz of rum and about 1/2 cup of oil.....let marinade for the morning....later, in a large frying pan I heated up oil, adding in about 1 tsp of curry powder and half a tsp of all-spice powder to cook into the oil per batch (2-3 smaller batches sear the meat better).....in a crock pot I browned 1 large onion, 6 cloves of garlic, 1 bunch green onion, then added 2 cans of coconut milk, 2 tblspoons sugar or honey, 4 tblsp curry powder, 1 tblsp allspice, 1/2 cup chopped thyme, 1 tblsp tomato paste, 2 bay leaves, 1 super hot scotch bonnet pepper, 3 carrots 2 -3 lbs chopped potatoes (I will often nuke chopped potatoes for a few minutes if I want them to stay together like for potato salad and stews) pour the meat and all drippings into the crockpot and add water, vegie broth or more coconut milk to get the right consistency and let it simmer for a few hours...served it with rice

Geez Matt - why aren't you my size?!?
You SEEN me lately?? :ROFL:

I refer to it not-so-fondly as my Buddha Belly these days.
Went away quickly for the mountain hunts and I loved it.
Certainly came back with a vengeance once blind hunting kicked into gear! :Doh!:

Now being "hibernation time" until the steel (hopefully) show up, I can't quite see it getting any smaller... :grumpy:

On the other hand, that meal was Drastically Delicious! :Oh Yeah!:
Looks like we have an excellent candidate for winter grits to toss on the pile...

Cheers,
Nog

PS: In keeping with the thread:

Free Range Chicken.
Stuffed with the usual goodness.
Brussels.
Squash.

A decent Pinot Noir for this go.

Then leftovers into tomorrow's meat pies... :Heh, heh, heh:

Cheers

Goose now out of the 24 hour brine, drying and damn near ready to get stuffed.
Stuffing obviously.
Brussels.
Maple Candy Yams.
Pumpkin pie and shortbread for dessert.

All washed down with a very VERY Marvelous French Red.

Merry Christmas!!

Cheers,
Nog

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but I’m a bit notorious for a special breakfast I made my little kids when my wife was away many years ago. On my defence, it was in the middle of a cold winter so I wanted to give them something that would ‘warm the furnace’. I made them a concoction of Cream of Wheat porridge and Vegetable and Barley soup which for some unknown reason beyond my comprehension they didn’t like. My wife was horrified, as was most people those 3 told. Well, after enduring ridicule for bye on 35 years, I’m going to get them back. Tomorrow family members, including my 2 grown kids, are coming to my place for a fancy dinner...guess what is going to be front and centre on the table, he he he

Bow Walker

SHOOTING FOR THE KILL.
You're talking my language Gary! My English heritage is resonating.....

From Wikipedia;
Bubble and squeak - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak
Bubble and squeak is a traditional British breakfast made from boiled potatoes and cabbage. In modern times it is a dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. ... The dish is so named because the cabbage makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process.

DSC_0032-touch.jpg [/quote][/quote]

Day before yest: Prawn Skewers on the BarBee with Asparagus, Basmati & Beeno.

Yesterday: HUGE Atlantic Lobsters, Wild Rice mix and Caesar Salad (of course more Beeno).

Tonight: Fresh Crabs being delivered by a buddy within moments.
Have yet to decide what else to accompany... except The Beeno of course! small wink

My Lady suggests we may start growing gills! :ROFL:

Gearing up for New Year's Eve Fondue!! :Oh Yeah!::Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog The Rotund

shuswapbear

Long-Time Member
20181230_181023.jpg

Cross rib roast with nuggy taters and carrots all made in one pot in our new Insta Pot. The wife browned the roast in Insta Pot then sauteed some onions then deglazed the pot with some wine and beef stock. Put the roast back with a foil pack of taters and one of carrots. Sealed the lid set it to pressure cook with time set then walked away.

Damn was it tender.

Bow Walker

SHOOTING FOR THE KILL.
Ours was pretty simple. I melted some butter in a pan and added a bunch of sliced garlic to it. Once the garlic had cooked in the butter I fished it out and turned up the heat - then tossed in about 20 scallops and 6 pieces of lobster tail meat..... sauteed the whole mess up and had it with a green salad and some crusty sourdough buns that I fried up in the leftover pan juices form the seafood.

No pics (sorry) but it was damned good!

Top Bottom