Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Wild Turkey. How to?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:15)

Jimmy the Prawn

The Prawn is On
Reaction score
Some friends of mine just returned from the kootenays with a large Tom. Some how I have ended up with the breasts and legs in my freezer. The plan being that I will prepare it for a hunting trip in the near future when the group is together. I have never seen, shot, cooked, or eaten a wild turkey before so looking for some suggestions on preparation. Cheers.
CC5A08EA-B3CF-496E-BF48-CFE2AFDDC886.jpeg
JtP

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Brined in Jack and cranberry juice, remove, dry, rub with favorite spices smoke on low heat for about 4 hrs. slice thin mmmmmmm

fingershooter

Reaction score
debone breasts and separate inner fillet then cut into 3/8" cutlets, across the grain. Dip in egg and coat in mixture of bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and finely ground Italian seasoning (to taste). Fry these in a fair bit of hot veg oil till nicely browned (not very long as they will dry out) and a squirt of lemon juice or a bit of Dijon mustard and you will have a delicious dish. The dark met I would brine (recipies on line but halve the salt) for 24 to 36 hours and then cook in an Instapot or roast with vegetables. Brined and smoked is delicious as well.

fingershooter

Reaction score
AL'S SMOKED WILD TURKEY BREAST

This recipe will do the boned out, un-cut breasts of two toms. Remove all fats and loose skins.
Brine
Dissolve 1/4 cu. coarse salt and 1/2 cu. dark or demerera brown sugar in 2 cups of hot water. Add 1 bay leaf, 6 crushed garlic cloves, one cup apple cider vinegar, and 8 cups very cold water. Submerge turkey breasts for 20 - 22 hours, stirring occasionally.
Rub
Mix together 1/4 cup demerera brown sugar, 2 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon (or to taste) cayenne pepper.
Smoke
Pat dry brined turkey breasts and coat all sides with rub. Wrap breasts in bacon - 5 per breast to leave gaps. Set in smoker that has been preheated to 220F. Fill water tray in smoker to make sure the breasts don't dry out. Smoke for 8 hours at 220 using 3 batches of mixed apple and hickory chips. finish at 180 for roughly 4 - 5 hours to bring the internal temperature up to 150F. Wrap in foil and rest in smoker for 1 hour or until ready to eat.

They are also great without bacon wrapped on them first.

Jimmy the Prawn

The Prawn is On
Reaction score
Ooh I like the sounds of that! Already thinking I’d like to go to the kootenays next year and get one! Thanks for the replies.
JP

Top Bottom