Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Winter Cutthroat

Thread starter #9

Jimmy the Prawn

The Prawn is On
A couple more from the derby last weekend. We just started including our kids last year, and the little buggers won this year! 24-5/16” fish caught right behind me lol! First pass Saturday morning, my partner and I corked the boys and set our gear a few hundred yards ahead of them. Hooked a double header right away, lost one but landed a nice 22 incher. Then the kids slid in behind us and bam! Derby winner! Pretty awesome watching them get out and have great success on their own, even despite the old man messing with them lol!
55F4BAF8-DF7B-49DD-A294-06F093C72656.jpeg A82AE2D6-AB32-4E41-BBDA-0FFB1778DEA6.jpeg 5C50B957-199B-49B0-8041-A951B56C0C58.jpeg 49B9647F-5DE2-4BAA-93B2-9EA29B19995B.jpeg 1E8E8FFA-E3AE-47D8-BF3F-3880931E38CC.jpeg
Needless to say the weather was pretty crazy. Definitely the coldest, windiest weekend derby in all the 30 years! And the ride home was interesting. 3 hours instead of the usual 1-1/2. Then the Malahat got shut down just after we got thru goldstream. Yet a good time was had by all!
JP

Thread starter #13
It’s held at Cowichan Lake, about an hour and a half north of Victoria. About 15 years ago the regulations dictated mandatory release of fish over 50 cm (about 19-5/8”). Didn’t bother me since I never found those big ones very good eating. Since then, the number of fish we catch has increased consistently and dramatically. The only example I have where, in my opinion, the regulation has had an obvious positive impact. Also note that the lake is not stocked, it is self sustaining and these are all wild cutthroat. SO, if you choose to give it a try, PLEASE abide by the regulations so we can enjoy this great fishery for years to come! Cheers.
JP.

Top Bottom