Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Wood stove question

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

PortSide

Reaction score
We are thinking of adding an insert or a woodstove to our fireplace. Just hoping for some thoughts on this. I am thinking that a woodstove out front of the fireplace would be most efficient and probably less expensive and easily hooked up to a new chimney liner. Thanks in advance... GaryIMG_1550.JPGIMG_1551.JPG

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I have has 2 Heatalotors, one worked like a hot damn the other not so much. I have also has a "hearth stove" it worked well but I didn't like the over all look of being an "add on"

Smokercraft

Reaction score
I just put a wood stove in my shop. It had nothing before. I did all the install myself. Pretty easy simple project to tackle.
The biggest deal for me was the rediculous cost of all the parts and pieces. $100 for a 2’ section of double wall insulated pipe. I couldn’t believe it. Chimney braces $75 for a couple pieces of terribly machined conduit.

Wood heat in the shop.........priceless!

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
My old wood stove up north was approved by the fire chief but when the W.E.T thing came in for insurance they made me change my whole piping system had to be changed. What a freeking money grab

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
The one and only drawback that I can see is that it's a boat - boats have a way of rocking and rolling...... I get terribly seasick. Even standing on a dock that is moving a bit will set me off......

Trinity

Reaction score
The biggest deal for me was the rediculous cost of all the parts and pieces. $100 for a 2’ section of double wall insulated pipe. I couldn’t believe it. Chimney braces $75 for a couple pieces of terribly machined conduit.
No kidding! Did one a couple of year ago in the house and the chimney system came in just over a grand by the time the $109.00 rain cap was installed.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
The one and only drawback that I can see is that it's a boat - boats have a way of rocking and rolling...... I get terribly seasick. Even standing on a dock that is moving a bit will set me off......
gravol is your friend..........you beat me to it DAN... now I have a headache !!!!

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Chimney seems to be the big cost around here. The last triple wall pipe I bought was $1.25 per inch and that has been a long time ago. $125 for the elbow coming through the wall. In the end for wood heat was it worth it, yes. To me the stove setting out ground of the fire place would not look right.
Steve

KH4

Reaction score
For heating practicality, woodstove will be better than an insert. Not sure what the cost of the liner required for a wood stove is. You might be able to get a wood stove with the pipe take off in the back instead of the top, that would make routing up the fireplace easier, otherwise you might need to modify the fireplace/mantle to get something into the chimney typically don't want a 90 right after the top of the stove.

You will also need to extend the hearth to 18" in front of the stove opening.

Yes, double walled pipe is expensive as is the braces, etc, I just replaced my whole stove/chimney after catastrophic failure of a poor installation made prior to my house purchase. Also upgraded my stove.

If doing it yourself, you will need to get WETT certification/inspection afterwards (very typical insurance requirement). Some folks scoff, but if your house ever goes up due to any issues with the woodstove, insurance will not cover. Only a one time cost, I think it costed me $150.

Your regional district may also have a rebate for a new stove, typically its for replacing an old inefficient stove, but might be available for fireplace to stove, have a look into it, my area was $350, but I traded the old stove for something higher in value so did not take them up on it.

PortSide

Reaction score
Residential wood heating cost is a factor not so much for boats. I wonder about something DIY for a house? On the boat I took a section of scrap stainless steel pipe cut to 25" length, scored the sides and bent them out and put a lid on top, door etc on it.. all welded. The entire stove is stainless bought cheaply/lb at scrap yard (good stuff from closed pulp mill). Easy to burn even drift wood (salt water) or forest scrounging. Takes a 25" log. The boat is insulated so can take 3 x 25" logs burns all day or night. I am betting.... on line you could find a lot of ideas about DIY for a house. However on our farm house we paid big bucks for liners as our old chimney did not pass current codes. Nothing like wood heat...

jenn7210

300 MAGNUM
Reaction score
My stove is a free standing Pacific Energy. Dad has the same stove , but as an insert with built in fan . Both seem to work really well, but require the expensive insulated pipe to handle the high chimney temperatures .

Top Bottom