Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

WTB: .243 cal rifle for the kids

hbpaints

Reaction score
Hey Everyone...

So before I head over to Cabela's, I was wondering if anyone had a used .243 of any sort that they're looking to sell?

With or without optics as I have a few decent scopes in the cupboard...

Looking to outfit the kids (11yr girl and 13yr old boy) with their own Deer rifle...

I'm on the Island (Lake Cowichan area) but willing to pay shipping or travel if required for the right deal...

Thanks guys!!

Rob.

KTownKiller

I like lofty heights & Roll'n Stones!!!
Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend checking out a Weatherby compact, if I may? The built up cheek area on their stocks help get a solid hold... and gets the eye lined up in the scope better...many people find. This was very true in the case of my daughter with her smaller cheek bones....But then I discovered I needed a Weatherby also!!!! So look out!!! :yeah, right:

hbpaints

Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend checking out a Weatherby compact, if I may? The built up cheek area on their stocks help get a solid hold... and gets the eye lined up in the scope better...many people find. This was very true in the case of my daughter with her smaller cheek bones....But then I discovered I needed a Weatherby also!!!! So look out!!! :yeah, right:
That's a good point.... I'll look into it... Nothing like having to console "scope eye" on a 11yr old... lol

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I had a .243 on loan from a friend while his kid grew up and into the rifle.

Loved that little gun - except for the L.O.P. being to short for me it was an excellent firearm.

Jimmy the Prawn

The Prawn is On
Reaction score
Not discounting the reliability of the .243 at all but just throwing this out there for additional input; don’t overlook some other easy shooting calibres like the 7mm-08 or the latest craze - the 6.5 creedmor. They have relatively little recoil with a fair bit more knock down power, so may be more versatile in the long run. My son shot a 7-08 browning micro Midas since he was ten years old and he was not a big kid. (He shoots my 30-06 now because now he is a big kid lol) He took down multiple deer, bears and a few other critters with no issues. I liked the caliber so much I bought one for myself!
JP

Top Bottom